Epic Race Kite "The Racer" 17/14/11

Forum for kitesurfers
gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Race Kite "The Racer" 17/14/11

Postby gbleck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 pm

It's nice to be able to trim to a body position.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 pm

So you guys rather have something on the bar not on the CL and not far a way from you.
So in few words something needs to be on the Bar so you can access it immediately, but wont bother you while kiting, correct?
If you guys have some drawing ideas please email these to dimitri@epickites.com
Thank you.

P.S. I got a good idea on making something like that.

lakelavonkiter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby lakelavonkiter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:12 am

Dimitri,

You might want check-out some of them on you tube and the vimeo videos. I am not a racer nor do I want to be one, but I have been following the progression of the course racing side of the sport because of how well they preform in light wind.
From what I can see, these race boards with their long fins develop so much torque, the sailor has to work really hard to keep the board flat. And these boards are to be ridden flat, completely flat, because flat is fast. And flat will go up wind fast and point really high. Most of these boards look like a smaller version of a windsurfing course race board, wide and short with really long fins.
The key to keeping this board flat is body position, that is why they use such a long depower line, instead of a strap. Plus, since these boards are so fast and create so much apparent wind they have to be able to quickly depower the kite, otherwise they will end up completely out of control.
You may want to make a trip to San Francisco, that is really the epicenter of the sport in the US. After going there you may decide that kiteracing may not be where you want to focus your efforts.
You may be better served with a light wind directional board like Airush with their Sector boards or Slingshot with their Kneewacker boards, since you already have a really good light wind kite.

By the way, I love your videos,
Keith

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:05 pm

At trim line that springs back to the bar for easy reach is an interesting idea, but I think below the bar depower (on chickeloop) would tire you out really fast because of the awkward angle.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:28 pm

viewtopic.php?t=2374213&p=734541

Wouldn't the Zeeko depower system serve a racer's needs? The longer the "Z" rope, the more depower could be achieved. The system has a 2:1 advantage when pulling on the depower rope. The "stopper/depower strap tab" would always be within reach.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Here you can see how we use the depower rope. constantly trimming while staying outboard.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello guys,
This a sneak preview of the new Epic race kite called the "RACER".

P.S. This is still a prototype. We want to make sure everything is perfect before we release the new "Racer 17/14/11" kite.

Attachments
RACER....jpg
DSC_0035 38.jpg
GPV_0007 23.jpg
DSC_0048 28.jpg
DSC_0032 41.jpg
DSC_0031 42.jpg
DSC_0030 43.jpg
GPV_0022 16.jpg
GPV_0070 - Version 2 6.jpg

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Hello guys,
Once again thank you for all your help with all your ideas and emails. Right now we are working on the race bar and this is an idea we are working on. I have had so many inquiries about the race bar that I had to do something in order to show you what we are working on.
I think this video says it all.

Working on the new race bar for the RACER kite.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Last week-end I had the chance to try this new Epic Racer kite, since Dimitri sent me a Prototype. Here is my impression and feedback. Please note that here it's the winter so it was in snowkiting and I am 192lbs and ride on Rossignol DH 216 skis.

The kite feel very light in the air, not as stable as the Infinity in light wind but if we pull the bar halfway and gently move it I am confident it will stay stable up waiting for the start signal in 5 knots or so.  The bar pressure is light, lighter than any other Epic kite I have tried.  The turning speed is quite fast for such a large kite.  The LE is not as big as normal kite and it felt light.  

Because it is a LEI with HAR, it doesn't give huge amount of power on a stroke but once you get some speed it will give you back some more speed and so it is very easy to reach good speed in light wind.  I was able to ride at 45km/hr in 5,8 knots.  And it was steady at each pass, not just one occasion.  The kite does not pull you downwind like an Infinity so it is easy to keep your edge and so keep your track and go fast upwind.  Because it turn fast, it is easy to to downloop turn and start back with good powe if your timing is right.

The relaunch is slightly more complex in LW than a foil kite. I am unable to relaunch by pulling just one line.  I always had to pull both lines but it was difficult because it is a long kite so I need to get it higher to have it turn back.  I usually need 2-3 try to get it correctly.  This is not good in races but at first most of the time it is a rider's piloting error.  In my case, it's because I had some difficulty turning my 216cm racing skis (because of our surface) to follow the kite and one time because the wind was too light, probably below 5 knots.  

I tried it with a 2010 bar with 24m lines.  I think that it will benefit from longer lines for a more powerful stroke on start up.  I did practice my racing in 5-10 knots and it's a perfect wind range at my weight (192lbs) on racing skis.  On regular ski for doing freeride and jump I could certainly hold it to 14-15 knots but in snowkite racing it will probably be around 12knots the maximum which seem appropriate for his size.  

Overall, it is a great racing machine as it is but I think that each size should have their AR and shape to better suit the need of racing.  

Here are some pictures :

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:55 pm

Thank you very much for all your input "Seb".
We are working on the next RACER 17 prototype plus from this point we can work on the 14 and 11 meter RACER.
Also will have the new RACER bar ready shortly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”