Medium Poster
Style: Jumping
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to make mega jumps?

Postby Gnarfskt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:50 pm

As many other kitesurfers I like to jump, the higher and longer the better!
But I havn't been tought by anyone how to boost my jumps as much as possible. What I do is that I ride pretty fast, kite at 45 degrees. Prior to the jump I start sending kite to 12 or slightly past 12.
I want to do this as fast as possible to get as much lift as possible. I get a lot more responsible kite by sheeting in the bar, so I do this at the same time as I pilot the kite to 12. But I've noticed that the kite tend to pull me forward when I sheet in fully, especially when I'm a bit over powered. The result is a long jump instead of a high jump. So often I try to find a balance where I can sheet in the bar a bit to be able to send it fast up to 12, while I at the same time avoid being pulled over.

However, something tells me that I should be able to boost my jumps a lot more... but how? By better technique? Or is it my Cabrinha IDS, that simply isn't designed for huge jumps?
What do you have to say?

konetoniolo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Varzinha
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Wave
Gear: 2010 Cabrinha Switchblade 12m & 9m

2009 Underground FLX 135x41

Re: How to make mega jumps?

Postby konetoniolo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:08 pm

My friends say I jump pretty high... I dont know causeI cannot easure it from up ther...

Usualy, to go higer, I make a biger and faster movemnt of the kite.I start with the kite nder the 45 degrees (deending on kite size and wind sped, sometimes iI start the movement with the kite almos t hiting the wather) and pull the bar quick and stroghly...

Some good tips a friend gave me:

strongh pull
do a lot of pressure in back foot on pop (makes u go higer instead of going further - making a longer jump)
past the 12h position kite
When descending, since u lost almost every power when doing all the previus tips, do a kiteloop, so ull have speed again to keep riding after u land

thats how I jump...

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Take kite past 12 and flick it back to 12, like an "s" shape, time take off with the flick back.

But to go mega you need 2 things - mega winds and ramps (kickers,waxes etc). Ramps will give you loads of extra boost/height. If you check teh vides, to go big will always be in big winds or off kickers, just check the size of the wave that Lewis used to jump Worthing Pier.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Gnarfskt wrote:I get a lot more responsible kite by sheeting in the bar, so I do this at the same time as I pilot the kite to 12. But I've noticed that the kite tend to pull me forward when I sheet in fully, especially when I'm a bit over powered.
Try sheeting in a little later. I usually am sheeted out a few inches until the kite reaches 12 then sheet in all the way as I pop off of a wave for the biggest jumps. If I'm sheeted in when redirecting, I tend to get pulled off the edge and go long instead of high just like you said.

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Its all about your edge and making the ABSOLUTE hardest part of your edge just the split second before you leave the water. The key is to load your kite as much as possible with out killing its forward speed..
As for the kite ,different conditions makes for different techniques needed for large jumps.. My personal preference is to be super over powered and use a wave as a launch ramp.. the wave really helps you get the most load out of your kite.
But as a general Rule ,here it is in simple terms : Kite mid way up in the window(10:00 or 2:00 oclock),Go FAST, ease up on edge just a bit(But do not lose speed, this really helps you edge harder at the end) throw kite back hard and edge super hard just before release from water. Hold on and happy landings. In a big jump I tend to fly my kite back and forth above me and use a down loop for a smooth landing..

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

for long and low release earlier and don't send the kite as far back. i do alot of these jumps when landboarding as i don't want to be too high (10 foot max) over land.
to go high send the kite well past 12 and release as later as possible. going super fast then sending with the bar out until i'm ready release then i sheet it works for me.

Gnarfskt
Medium Poster
Style: Jumping
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow

Postby Gnarfskt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Ted B wrote:Its all about your edge and making the ABSOLUTE hardest part of your edge just the split second before you leave the water. The key is to load your kite as much as possible with out killing its forward speed..
As for the kite ,different conditions makes for different techniques needed for large jumps.. My personal preference is to be super over powered and use a wave as a launch ramp.. the wave really helps you get the most load out of your kite.
But as a general Rule ,here it is in simple terms : Kite mid way up in the window(10:00 or 2:00 oclock),Go FAST, ease up on edge just a bit(But do not lose speed, this really helps you edge harder at the end) throw kite back hard and edge super hard just before release from water. Hold on and happy landings. In a big jump I tend to fly my kite back and forth above me and use a down loop for a smooth landing..
Thanks for the explanation!

What about the kite? Does it matter if you jump with a Slingshot Fuel or a Cabrinha Crossbow? My guess is that the kite's position in the wind window might have impact on the jump. A kite that sits further down in the wind window should tend to make you jump long rather than high... or?
The kite´s angle of attack should also have some kind of impact, right? If the kite when it´s positioned at 12 have an AOA near 0 degrees, then the lift should be stronger compared to a kite where the AOA is bigger at 12... just making some wild guesses here =)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Speed is really important! And power in the kite!

Then look for flat water section or a nice kicker!

McAbe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed

Postby McAbe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 pm

To go as high as possible you better be well over powered and use a high performance kite capable of flying close to the edge of the wind window.
Kites that sits further back in the window tends to make the jump long instead of high and they are harder to de-power by edging the board when over powered.

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:24 pm

I think all kites have the capability to jump high it really comes down to the rider.. Just look at some of the early pics of lou wainman going massive on the old 2 line wipikas..
To this day I think some of my biggest jumps where done in late 2000 with a C kite 12m in 30-35 knots in puerto rico at shacks.. great little waist high kicker. The guys on the beach said I was getting 50-60 feet high..All I know is it felt huge and I was hanging there forever. really to big to be doing tricks for me!!!!
the keys are speed and edge

Return to “Kitesurfing”