Style: Freestyle
Gear: Flexifoil Hadlow ID 10m and 8m
Shinn Supershinn 135
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flexifoil Hadlow ID

Postby chr15 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 pm

I've got the 10m and 8m. These kites are designed to be unhooked so you don't have to worry about that. Seriously awesome to unhook with. Like many kites it will fall out the sky if you pendulum under it. However, the kite is sensitive to trimming in lighter conditions as suggested by the 16 knots where you wouldn't be using the depower strap. To solve this you just need to firstly make sure the front bridal is set to the more power setting. In my opinion the kite flies much better and more stable in this setting so I never use the less power setting. Secondly in lighter winds especially where you have the kite sheeted out all the way use the middle knot or even the knot nearest the kite for rear line attachment. The kite likes to be flown with firm bar pressure so you need to make sure you have enough rear line tension in light winds. The advantage of the firm bar pressure is that the kite feels exactly as you expect when you unhook. The slack you can create when you pop is awesome and so far I have not experienced any backstall unhooked. I have to admit I didn't dial into the kite instantly but I'm so glad I stuck at it because now when I try friends kites I want to be back on the ID. Personally I fond the bar setup with the big chicken loop not great for my short arms so I have been using a LF bar but have just got a medium chicken loop to use with Hadlow bar. If you don't get on with the bar then I wouldn't dismiss the kite. Pick a bar you like and you won't look back.

Hope this helps. Only my first post on kiteforum, but have been on kiteboarder and seabreeze for a while now.

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)

Postby pwnd550 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 pm

chr15 wrote:I've got the 10m and 8m. These kites are designed to be unhooked so you don't have to worry about that. Seriously awesome to unhook with. Like many kites it will fall out the sky if you pendulum under it. However, the kite is sensitive to trimming in lighter conditions as suggested by the 16 knots where you wouldn't be using the depower strap. To solve this you just need to firstly make sure the front bridal is set to the more power setting. In my opinion the kite flies much better and more stable in this setting so I never use the less power setting. Secondly in lighter winds especially where you have the kite sheeted out all the way use the middle knot or even the knot nearest the kite for rear line attachment. The kite likes to be flown with firm bar pressure so you need to make sure you have enough rear line tension in light winds. The advantage of the firm bar pressure is that the kite feels exactly as you expect when you unhook. The slack you can create when you pop is awesome and so far I have not experienced any backstall unhooked. I have to admit I didn't dial into the kite instantly but I'm so glad I stuck at it because now when I try friends kites I want to be back on the ID. Personally I fond the bar setup with the big chicken loop not great for my short arms so I have been using a LF bar but have just got a medium chicken loop to use with Hadlow bar. If you don't get on with the bar then I wouldn't dismiss the kite. Pick a bar you like and you won't look back.

Hope this helps. Only my first post on kiteforum, but have been on kiteboarder and seabreeze for a while now.
Great review! Thanks!
So appart from the more power less power knot, there are other knots for rear lines connection for light wind? Is it harder also to jump high and glide without having the kite fall out of the sky than on a bow kite?
Thanks

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 am

chr15 wrote:I've got the 10m and 8m. These kites are designed to be unhooked so you don't have to worry about that. Seriously awesome to unhook with. Like many kites it will fall out the sky if you pendulum under it. However, the kite is sensitive to trimming in lighter conditions as suggested by the 16 knots where you wouldn't be using the depower strap. To solve this you just need to firstly make sure the front bridal is set to the more power setting. In my opinion the kite flies much better and more stable in this setting so I never use the less power setting. Secondly in lighter winds especially where you have the kite sheeted out all the way use the middle knot or even the knot nearest the kite for rear line attachment. The kite likes to be flown with firm bar pressure so you need to make sure you have enough rear line tension in light winds. The advantage of the firm bar pressure is that the kite feels exactly as you expect when you unhook. The slack you can create when you pop is awesome and so far I have not experienced any backstall unhooked. I have to admit I didn't dial into the kite instantly but I'm so glad I stuck at it because now when I try friends kites I want to be back on the ID. Personally I fond the bar setup with the big chicken loop not great for my short arms so I have been using a LF bar but have just got a medium chicken loop to use with Hadlow bar. If you don't get on with the bar then I wouldn't dismiss the kite. Pick a bar you like and you won't look back.

By the way, did you receive a manual for instructions with the kite?

chr15
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leighton, Perth
Woody's, Perth
Favorite Beaches: Hayling Island, UK
Shinn Supershinn 135

Postby chr15 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:44 am

Yes there are three knots for rear line attachment. I've pretty much been flying it on the middle one. I don't have any problems with jumping. It jumps like a C kite so technique is more important than riding a bow, but jumps are more rewarding.

I didn't get a manual with either of my kites. Perhaps drop Flexi an email about that. They are usually very good at helping out.

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:59 am

chr15 wrote:Yes there are three knots for rear line attachment. I've pretty much been flying it on the middle one.
Oh wait so (I haven't had much time to look at the kite in detail) there are the more power/less power knots (those arent the rear line attachments right? or are they?) and then where are the others? at the far end of the tip?

chr15
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leighton, Perth
Woody's, Perth
Favorite Beaches: Hayling Island, UK
Shinn Supershinn 135

Postby chr15 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:19 am

The power setting alters the bridle and the two options are at the front of the wingtip. Use the more power setting. Stock is less power I think. By rear lines I mean steering lines at the rear of the wingtip where there are three knots for trimming.

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:25 am

chr15 wrote:The power setting alters the bridle and the two options are at the front of the wingtip. Use the more power setting. Stock is less power I think. By rear lines I mean steering lines at the rear of the wingtip where there are three knots for trimming.
Ohhh yeah now I know what you mean. Thanks for the info!

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:04 am

chr15 wrote:I've got the 10m and 8m.
Can you manage to fit everything (pump and bar) inside thebag? Or do they have to stay attached outside? I seem to not be able to put the bar inside, even if I folded the kite tight.. Also, if I attach the bar on the outside, the horizontal straps (the ones that connect the two side pockets together) aren't long enough to hold the bar and the pump at the same time.. How do you manage to make everything fit in or outside the bag? Do you fold the kite really tight? Or do you not attach everything?
Thanks

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:27 am

chr15 wrote:I didn't get a manual with either of my kites. Perhaps drop Flexi an email about that. They are usually very good at helping out.
Flexi have excellent customer care in my experience :thumb: Let us know how you get on with that ID...I'm seriously considering one myself.

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Jdizzle wrote:
chr15 wrote:I didn't get a manual with either of my kites. Perhaps drop Flexi an email about that. They are usually very good at helping out.
Flexi have excellent customer care in my experience :thumb: Let us know how you get on with that ID...I'm seriously considering one myself.
Yeah of course! I'll get to try it in two weeks or maybe less I hope. I'll write a review so keep checking for that sometimes :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”