flyvan
Medium Poster
Style: FreeRide - Backcountry
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HQ Montana 6 7m testing

Postby flyvan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Relaxing, Enjoying, Testing the new HQ Montana 6 7m in a little bad wind of 10-22 knots.
Nice feeling and nice colors during the sunset 14.00 PM

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Re: HQ Montana 6 7m testing

Postby jumarcil » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:49 pm

flyvan wrote:Relaxing, Enjoying, Testing the new HQ Montana 6 7m in a little bad wind of 10-22 knots.
Nice feeling and nice colors during the sunset 14.00 PM

What do you think is the highest range for an average 80kg kiters on the 7m. Is it very stable in really gusty winds.

Do you also think that a small Apex would be a better kite for those nuking days or the Montana 7m ?

Regards.

Jules

flyvan
Medium Poster

Postby flyvan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi

I am 67kg and i have used 7m M5 (2010) in 40knots gust. it was not comfortable and the snow was super hard. But it's not best choice to do that... it was only to test the real limit of the kite for a competition.

so for the strong winds it's depend a little bit what do you have like quiver...
the good combination are :

12.5 - 7 montana

or 9.5 montana - 5 apexIII

if you have the option to have 3 kites it will be still different.

it's so difficult to help people to choice the right wing... it's so depending to the skill, spot, snow condition, snowboard/ski and personal interest.

i can say 7m M6 it holds 30-35knots full trimmed and not using powerzone at all ;)

Kitelifer
Rare Poster
Gear: Boards- Jimmy Lewis 6'1, OR Zen, Cab Cutom, Nobile NHP

Kites- Switchblades, RPMS, Nomads

Postby Kitelifer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Any issues with the chicken loop release? The pin is very small that goes just inside the release mechanism and can release under the slightest pressure, especially if you land after a jump and the bar hits your body. I know this happened to someone i know.

flyvan
Medium Poster

Postby flyvan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm

I have run more than 2500km with Montana 5/6

and i had no accidental CL opening.

Only once the kite release from the hook (without open the CL) because i had let the pin (finger) in high position after have put it in the hook, without really paying attention the pull it all the way down. but this can release the kite only if very low winds and so it happen but no prob... i had my bar on the hand.

that's was my mistake and now for higher safe, when i make long freeride tours, i add anyway a safety leash because it's enough that you fall on the ground that any good CL could open and release the kite. I don't want to be without kite 40km far form the first road ;) .

40knots
Rare Poster

Postby 40knots » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi flyvan, I have a montana 6 also. Can I ask you where you fix the safety leash ?

flyvan
Medium Poster

Postby flyvan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:28 pm

hi 40kts

basically you don't need safety leash... or... just if you make unhooked tricks, and for that, there is the small red ring on the hand brake.

I sometimes use the safety leash when i make long distance rides because it could happen an accidental fall and if you fall on the stomach, it could maybe activate the CL safety... and your kite will fly safely away... but... i don't want to risk to be without kite in the middle of nowhere. so i clip the SL on the line between the CL and the bar. this only in strong winds... that in the case, will make fly away too far my kite. kite is my safety when i am are far. don't want to risk to miss it.

but it's not necessary ... it's only my way to do, my point of view... being alone in nowhere land.

PAY ATTENTION
SL must be equipped of a release system... otherwise you will have big troubles in the case you really need to release the kite from you.

40knots
Rare Poster

Postby 40knots » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:05 am

Thanks for the info flyvan. I probably need a longueur SL because I was only able to fix it between the CL and the bar, like you do I think.

Return to “Snow / Land”