Cabrinha 5'9 s-quad
D'light Custom 6'2 Thruster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about Rebranding a production board

Postby Jade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:25 am

Hi All,
Does anyone know if I strip the deck grip and branding on a race legal production board to rebrand it with a sponsors logo and then re grit the deck, will I still be able to race it at ika sanctioned events? Or will it now be deemed a custom!

What ya reckon, am I asking for trouble? I guess I could also, simply respray it, don't know how durable that would be, but maybe less of an issue for the ika, or whoever is enforcing the rule at events.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Re: Question about Rebranding a production board

Postby FabsPH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:40 am

no idea, but why don't you document everything you do to the board with pictures and video? That should be good enough, no?

IKA
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Question about Rebranding a production board

Postby IKA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:09 pm

This is what the class rules say:

MODIFICATIONS/MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR
(a) Alteration of hull shape, major underside re-fairing or deliberate removal of the finishing coat/s is not permitted unless in the case of the result of local repairs to unintentional damage. The serial number shall remain legible.
(b) The deck grip may be partially removed to apply personal sponsor logos.
(c) The deck grip may be restored to its original condition with a clear coating provided that the original deck graphics can be identified.
(d) A broken or worn fin box may only be replaced by the same ‘type’, and shall be positioned at the same position as the original.

Return to “Kitesurfing”