All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: North Vegas 2011 falling on one side
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:00 am 
Frequent Poster

Cutting out the serial number tag, or simply not adding a serial number, is a pretty standard practice for products which have failed a QC inspection. Sometimes these "factory seconds" are sold at a cut price, sometimes they're destroyed.

I seriously doubt that North would knowingly sell defective kites. At best that would be bad for their brand image, and at worst it could land them in court.

My guess is that someone at North's factory had a brain fart and shipped reject kites accidentally, or someone's raided the reject bin and sold the defective kites to KBA at a reduced wholesale price.

You need to raise this with KBA - possibly they've been ripped off too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 am 
Rare Poster

Mr_Weetabix wrote:
Cutting out the serial number tag, or simply not adding a serial number, is a pretty standard practice for products which have failed a QC inspection. Sometimes these "factory seconds" are sold at a cut price, sometimes they're destroyed.

I seriously doubt that North would knowingly sell defective kites. At best that would be bad for their brand image, and at worst it could land them in court.

My guess is that someone at North's factory had a brain fart and shipped reject kites accidentally, or someone's raided the reject bin and sold the defective kites to KBA at a reduced wholesale price.You need to raise this with KBA - possibly they've been ripped off too.

This is a possibility or just could have been a few slipped in with shipment. But when i spoke today the guy he did not seem as shocked as I would expect. If someone told me a kite I sold had no serial number I would have asked him to call back while I checked my stock to see if I had been ripped off.

All my issue is I payed for a NEW 100% prefect kite as to my knowledge and ended up with something that is definitly not. As for the other guy with the Vegas I mean that just sucks as the kite does not even fly look at the shape its clearly been manafactured wrong.

As I mentioned earlier I am waiting on a reply as to why there is no serial number, and its not just not been added to the kite it has been removed with a blade. Hopefully then will have some more of an idea on the KBAs knowledge of this. I am just worried as they do offer cut prices on new gear and I was told this was because of the buying power of a huge company.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 am 
Frequent Poster

MrT wrote:
Please could you explain to me what was the problem with your mystic harness as well as I have one from the shop as well.
Clickerbar from Warrior II was self-releasing. First they offered replacement (I didn't accept since it was different size), after we agreed to contact me with Mystic directly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 am 
Frequent Poster

Quote:
You need to raise this with KBA - possibly they've been ripped off too.
They know about this issue. They played dumb, like it is ok to have kite with SN cutted. They say "it is coming like this from the factory". It is not local salesman speaking, it is one of the owners.

Actually, reputation of KBA is pretty low these days. All other schools and shops do hate them due this low prices. If they continue this way, customers will start hate them too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:27 pm 
Rare Poster

dandaka wrote:
MrT wrote:
Please could you explain to me what was the problem with your mystic harness as well as I have one from the shop as well.
Clickerbar from Warrior II was self-releasing. First they offered replacement (I didn't accept since it was different size), after we agreed to contact me with Mystic directly.

Thats pretty shitty, I have a mystic as well but so far fine. keep the thread updated with the progress with North direct as I have been 4 days and only 1 response to 4 emails. As the wind is coming tomorrow I have had my kite re-stitched so I can go out. Hopefully they will see there is a few of us with problems with the kites fromm KBA and do something about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

kitenaked wrote:
It might not be a fake, however it may be one from the line that didnt pass QC and didnt get the official serial number badge or whatever...

You honestly think Chinese are going to throw it away? If they throw it away, they are eating their labor and material.

No way. They will find a home for it.

I thought the companies supplied the materials themselves? That they order the cloth, whatever materials and tubes, connectors...and just pay the factory for putting it all together...that said it is entirely possible that there are kites going out the back door...which would be a huge problem for the industry in general.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:50 pm 
Frequent Poster

North agreed to send me a new 2011 kite as a replacement. They believe this was a defect in production. I will make a new post about KBA and their "service", so kiters will keep great distance from this shop.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

dandaka wrote:
North agreed to send me a new 2011 kite as a replacement.

That's Cool !!
But out of curiosity, do you Still have the unbalanced kite ?
If so then try this :
You mentioned the . "Lines on the kite itself (pigtails) are equal too".

Is there enough room to tie a "figure 8" in the "RIGHT" pigtail ?
If so then do that & see if the Left turn reduces just a tad.

You can shorten the pigtail with a figure 8, or move the top-line up to a
the second knot if the lark-head is on the top-line's from the bar.

If it reduces the turn a bit but still turns Left, then tie a Second "figure 8"
in the "RIGHT" pigtail, but you will Also need to tie one on the back-line,(break-line)
as well or the bar will get off center.

I do this with all my kites to get the balance perfect, because i fly more than
one kite with each bar. Make sure it's a figure 8 or you'll Never get it out.

Do NOT tie a Knot in your Bar kite-lines, (top-lines) as this will weaken them. Pigtails
are usually 3mm cord or better so they can take shortening with a knot.

Nothing personal but, 3 pages of advice & Nobody mentioned this ?
is there a reason Why ?? (if so i'd like to know also)

Bille

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 pm 
Medium Poster

dandaka wrote:
North agreed to send me a new 2011 kite as a replacement.

The guys at North are solid. Hopefully they can track down how the shop got the kite and nip future problems in the butt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:56 pm 
Frequent Poster

Just for the record, we have been in touch with Dandaka over the past week and have worked out a resolution which should make everyone happy.

Also for the record, his kite was not admissible for warranty, and the resolution was done at the cost and through the goodwill of North international and several distributors. Thanks to everyone involved.

Please read the following before purchasing if you have reason to suspect that your dealer, like KBA, is not an authorized NKB dealer and is getting either factory second or full-on knock-off North gear.

Just to reiterate: KBA, in Thailand, is NOT an official North dealer. North does not sell them gear, and any North gear that they have is unauthorized, almost certainly flawed, and will not be approved for warranty repair or replacement. They have somehow found a way to get B and C grade factory rejects or knock-offs from a different factory. We do our best to control this kind of thing, and we are trying to track down how they are getting these, but even Apple, who spends millions on stopping this kind of leakage, suffers similar problems on occasion.

As it is, please do not purchase North items from anyone but an official authorized North dealer. If you do, realize that you do so at your own risk. Warranties require both a serial number and a receipt from an authorized dealer specifically for this reason. No matter what a dealer tells you, if you do not have a serial number and a receipt from an authorized dealer, North will not approve you for warranty. It should be fairly easy to tell an authorized dealer from a non, but you can always check http://www.northkites.com for a list of authorized dealers or you can even drop me a note with a specific dealer question. You should also use your brain. If there are two dealers in an area, and one is selling a North kite for significantly less than another, you may want to do a little additional research. I understand that you want to save money, but realize that if your cheaper kite does not come with a serial number and a receipt from an authorized dealer, it is not only un-warranteeable, but it is also most probably a factory second with some sort of flaw that will leave you with a costly or even, as in this case, impossible repair.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

-Dan

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next