All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Salida co
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 pm 
Medium Poster

Visiting Salida next month. Any recommendations on where to find some kiting spots?
Thanks phil

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Salida co
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

When I'm looking for places to kite I use google earth! Its the best! You can also study the history of the weather gauges and see what the most common wind is. We have found some amazing places this way! Good luck and post some pics! wayne :jump:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

check on here what is around:

www.splocs.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey Phil, I live in Salida and it's a really small scene. I'd say there are about a half a dozen of us between Buena Vista and Salida with only two of us riding much. The snow in our valley has been pretty dismal this year so far...in fact, I've been dirt jumping my mountain bike more than flying my kite!
Your best bet close to Salida is to drive north to Twin Lakes and ride the frozen lake which hopefully has snow on it or press on to Lake Dillon. You can also drive over Monarch Pass towards Gunnison and explore. I've had some great sessions near Wuanita Hot Springs on the way to Gunnison off Highway 50 or over by Cochetopa Dome off Highway 114. That area is roughly a 45 minute drive from town. We made it to Creede last year in 3 hours last year from Salida which was well worth it although the Southern Colorado guys would have to vouch for the coverage down that way.
Send me a pm when you get out this way and I'll try to clue you in.
Cheers, Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:38 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks for all the info.
Hopefully there will be some more snow by mid Feb.
I'll touch base then.
Phil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:23 pm 
Medium Poster

chris country wrote:
Hey Phil, I live in Salida and it's a really small scene. I'd say there are about a half a dozen of us between Buena Vista and Salida with only two of us riding much. The snow in our valley has been pretty dismal this year so far...in fact, I've been dirt jumping my mountain bike more than flying my kite!
Your best bet close to Salida is to drive north to Twin Lakes and ride the frozen lake which hopefully has snow on it or press on to Lake Dillon. You can also drive over Monarch Pass towards Gunnison and explore. I've had some great sessions near Wuanita Hot Springs on the way to Gunnison off Highway 50 or over by Cochetopa Dome off Highway 114. That area is roughly a 45 minute drive from town. We made it to Creede last year in 3 hours last year from Salida which was well worth it although the Southern Colorado guys would have to vouch for the coverage down that way.
Send me a pm when you get out this way and I'll try to clue you in.
Cheers, Chris

Contemplating packing already.
I'm planning on renting skis,etc. There, but bringing kiting gear. If I could only bring 2 kites, what sizes should i consider bringing? 6,9,11,13, 16?
Phil

I can bring 2, maybe 3 kites.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:00 pm 
Medium Poster

I use 12m Xbow most days. 9m for really windy days. The gusts make anything bigger pretty rowdy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:37 am 
Rare Poster

Phil, if you're going to be hanging out around Salida, I would chose a 9 and a 13. I get a lot of mileage out of my 8 but I'm only 155 lbs. It can nuke at times but those two kites will cover you the best. Hope this helps!
Chris

[ 8 posts ]