RedStar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oulu
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Plan for my first DIY board

Postby RedStar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:21 pm

I want to make light wind TT and i will put small amount of rocker, wide, quite square shape and overall keep it simple. I have some questions for you guys.

1) I was planing to use very thin veneer and clue them together to get wanted rocker. Thicknesses i have available are 1,5 mm and 2,8 mm. Would 3*2,8mm(=8,4) be enough to last? Is it better to have more layers (by using thinner material)?

2) Should all layers be placed so that wood fibre's are running to same direction. Or should some layers be in 90 degree angle?

Thanks

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Plan for my first DIY board

Postby BWD » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:42 pm

I would do do 3 layers 2.8 with the middle layer grain across and the top and bottom grain going the long way.
Or you could do more complicated things with the 1.5mm veneer, like running 2 layers at bias, maybe 50-60 degrees, between the top and bottom layers of 2.8....
But that would be harder and take more resin =heavier.
I would glue the bottom 2 layers first, and see how the rocker holds after the resin is hard and the board is removed from weights, clamps, table or whatever jig you use to form the rocker.
Then add the top layer to fine tune the rocker.
Make sure you leave it clamped or weighted for ~24 hours so the resin has completely hardened, before you take the weights or clamps off....

RedStar
Medium Poster

Postby RedStar » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:40 am

Yes it didn't realize that adding layers adds resin = more weight. I will go with 3*2,8.

I have seen that people are making tips more thin so that they flex more. I could not find why this is done? I have top mill what i could use to take some wood of from tips.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:03 pm

It's nice to have more flex in the tips and even saves a little weight
My tips have been 3.5-4mm on birch ply boards. I've used routers and belt sanders to shape them.
Birch is tough. With lighter woods maybe the tips could be 5 mm thick?

RedStar
Medium Poster

Postby RedStar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:45 am

Most likely i will also use birch. I think i can make a sketch now and post it here. Lets see what you guys have to say :)

RedStar
Medium Poster

Postby RedStar » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Some changes to original plans. Decided to copy waterbird as it seems like fun board and simple to make. Here is the sketch. What do you think about the rocker. Didn't know how much waterbird has.

RedStar
Medium Poster

Postby RedStar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Would it make any sense to put a channel to the board? Could place it in flat area of the rocker. I think would make board more stiff and give it more directional stability and might be able to loose the fins.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:41 pm

If there is no glass, all you do by removing wood to make a channel is weaken the board.
Channels are mainly done on boards that rely on glass layers on top and bottom for strength.
Also, they often end up being a little harder to make than it would seem.
If I were you, I would skip the channels for the first board.
The rocker might be ok at 2.5cm but to get 2.5cm after gluing up, you will have to put the board in a jig (or weight it) to produce a 3.5 to 4cm rocker during the glue up. After the glue/epoxy is cured, the wood layers will try to straighten out to their original shape a little so you will lose 25-40% of the rocker from the jig or weights.
If you use epoxy, wait AT LEAST 24h before removing the board form the jig or weights or it may flatten out completely.

Return to “Gear Builders”