Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sliders and pulleys vs Rings - Safety Tip

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sliders and pulleys vs Rings - Safety Tip

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Do they wear out quickly? Do they need to be replaced often? is there a need to buy spares?
Maybe I should order a bunch? This way I have them when I need them? :P
Thanks for letting me know OB I was just going to order a bunch!!!!
Hello "Xtream",
As soon as I posted the video about the new "EPIC SLIDER METAL PULLEY" we sold out immediately in a matter of hours. But will have more in by the end of this month.
Now concerning wearing out quickly, this will never happen same thing with the "O" Rings. You will eventually wear the lines. So you don't need to replace them at all, but again you always need to take care of your equipment.
Only order what you need :thumb:

Chungmu
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chungmu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Just ordered some sliders from Epic. Sold out as stated but I have wanted to replace my O rings for some time now. Never felt 100% sure on the O ring thing and after following this topic I knew I needed to swap out with something. Pulleys just don't last on the beach, at least for me.

Thanks to Bill H. for creating this topic and once again sharing his knowledge. :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Last edited by L0KI on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Xtream:
We have been using the sliders on the new Switch Element kite in pre-release testing since mid-last year in sand and salt conditions and they are holding up very well. Definitely better than pulleys. Unquestionably better than rings.
Cheers!

Chungmu:
Thanks! :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Last edited by L0KI on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Hansen AerosportsWe have been using the sliders on the new Switch Element kite in pre-release testing since mid-last year in sand and salt conditions and they are holding up very well. Definitely better than pulleys. Unquestionably better than rings.
Cheers!
Dimitri Now concerning wearing out quickly, this will never happen same thing with the "O" Rings. You will eventually wear the lines. So you don't need to replace them at all, but again you always need to take care of your equipment.
Only order what you need :thumb:
Wooo... Thanks.. I was thinking I needed to order a PILE of THEM.... :naughty:

Bill, You mean to tell me If I order a Element I get a pair of sliders and that's all I need? No need to buy a pile of them.. What about a Screamer Big D you include a pair of sliders? :naughty:

X

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Xtream:
Elements ship stock with sliders and special line installed. :thumb: :thumb:

OnB:
My information says they are 316. They are very non-magnetic and show no signs of rust after extensive salt water use but that is not 100% proof of composition. They are castings and do get smoother with use. Since Dimitri is sold out, I am putting my personal stash up for bid but I took an unflattering picture of them to discourage over bidding. Microbrews may be excepted in lieu of cash. :wink:
Sliders.jpg
Sliders.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Oldnbroken wrote:Bill,
The slider pieces are 316 stainless, correct?
Mine are smoother than the pics of the new ones, so they appear to be getting a bit of a "burnished shine" to them which tells me they are tough as hell and will hold up but they are getting smoother with time and will wear the lines less when they get broken in, like mine are.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 am

Okay Bill and recent poster Dimitri(when you realized you could push your new sliders (seriously dude you need to tone it down a bit) (please)), let me get this straight. Both of you are suggesting these sliders rather then Ronstan pulleys, even the ones with the stainless steel roller? I fly Flexifoil ion3s and always thought they used very good pulleys since the roller (the part the the line runs along) was smooth stainless steel. So they work either by rolling or if they have not been maintained(freed up) they work by sliding, but no harm done cause they are super smooth stainless... same idea as these sliders...? seems like a inexpensive alternative to shitty plastic pulleys? Should I switch?

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:39 am

Hi Laughingman:
Like you, I tend to view the sliders as a 'seized up' high quality pulley - only better - because it is all one solid piece of stainless steel designed for the job instead of a combination of smaller, weaker components any one of which can cause a catastrophic failure. If your pulleys and lines are in good shape then keep an eye on them and switch when you see a need. For those with rings, I'd switch immediately because IMHO, that is a bad system and potentially dangerous. Switch will be using sliders on all kites and already supply them on the new Element which after 6 months of daily testing has shown them to be the best part for the job.

Got to hand it to Dimitri for tying up all those slider sales with back-orders before they go on the Switch website next week (and will actually be in stock.) Nice move Dimitri! :thumb:
Cheers!
Laughingman wrote:Okay Bill and recent poster Dimitri(when you realized you could push your new sliders (seriously dude you need to tone it down a bit) (please)), let me get this straight. Both of you are suggesting these sliders rather then Ronstan pulleys, even the ones with the stainless steel roller? I fly Flexifoil ion3s and always thought they used very good pulleys since the roller (the part the the line runs along) was smooth stainless steel. So they work either by rolling or if they have not been maintained(freed up) they work by sliding, but no harm done cause they are super smooth stainless... same idea as these sliders...? seems like a inexpensive alternative to shitty plastic pulleys? Should I switch?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:25 am

Last edited by L0KI on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”