Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Michigan?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: Michigan?

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:53 am

Anyone have any intel on the ice conditions around St. Ignace? I hear they had to move the pond hockey location due to lack of ice.

Just wondering how much ice there actually is there.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:19 am

Hardwater Kiter wrote:Anyone have any intel on the ice conditions around St. Ignace? I hear they had to move the pond hockey location due to lack of ice.

Just wondering how much ice there actually is there.
details on Wissa web page: http://www.wissa2012.com/

or here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/wissa2012

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah, not much info on the FB page or the site. They haven't been very good about updating.

I wouldn't have known they moved the event if I didn't check the pond hockey forums.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:36 am

re: WISSA event

I spoke with some of the pond hockey participants tonight and have also had direct reports from ice boaters today. They said the pond hockey event is moved to Chain Lake (which is literally right next to the original site of Moran Bay). They mentioned there were concerns with the stabiltiy of the ice with so many people being out at Green Island. It might still be rideable there, but maybe not ideal for the event (?).

There is generally a lack of snow for the events that like snow, but there should be plenty of ice. I might head up there next weekend with the hockey troops and will give a first hand report of I get up there. We had some snow last night but the wind was so strong it scrubbed a lot of the snow/or made uneven coverage on lakes.

The WISSA website has not updated this information, so please treat my comments as unconfirmed. I am pretty sure they will run the event one way or another. NOAA and NWS are saying that February will be the coldest month of the winter. A good group of local ice boaters scrambled yesterday and today to sail on several lakes, which had good ice. well south of the Mackinaw Straights.

This is a recent image of ice coverage (rather lack thereof)...but you can see the small lakes are looking hard and this shot was taken several days ago, so ice thickness has only gotten better.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/ ... 3.250m.jpg

We've had a substantial and cold North wind the past few days. There may be some snow in SW MI that we might try to poach tomorrow...some spots getting 10" of lake effect. Lake MI is still competely open water!

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:29 pm

I've been following the coastwatch website. The Lake Huron image gives better information on some of the lakes on the East side of Michigan. You can even see where Lake Leelanau ought to be.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks for the info Roberto. Sounds like it should be pretty fast conditions out there.

Saul, sounds like you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place to try your new rigs. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. :D

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

be careful saul people are falling in we just lost an ice fisher on lapeer lake near flint this morning

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Some of my local friends were iceboating and snowkiting on Bear Lake last weekend and they are up there again today. The snow was better last week, a bit crusty and thin covergage today. A little more snow to be found above the Mac Straights. There are many shallow lakes North of Cadillac with ice. Snowkiters at Lake Leelenau last weekend too. Sounds like WISSA is moving forward, and US Pond Hockey tourney in progress now at St. Ignace.

Ice quality and thickness/snow coverage is dependant on location, so needless to say exercise caution and do some homework. An iceboat did go thru the ice in southern MI lasy weekend. The further North you can go the better obviously.

Return to “Snow / Land”