Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ideas for a directional strapless ride?? (Kipuna?)

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Ideas for a directional strapless ride?? (Kipuna?)

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:25 am

There were a couple of guys around here that were riding a thin Liquid Force board based on a wakesurfer. Can' remember the name offhand, but I tried them. Nice enough in flat water, very heavy though, and did not like to turn in small waves.

I've been reading a bit and heard a number of good reviews on the Underground Kipuna, but have never seen one in person, let alone ridden one. I'm looking for something versatile, not a high rockered surfboard with lots of toe-in to go real slow on. I'd like to have a fun light ride for flat water and smaller chop, and worry about a wave machine later. I'm not looking for a super flat lightwind door though, either. I want to build it light, to mess around with small airs and popping it out of the water.

So, on the Kipuna, does anyone know what kind of rocker line it has? Also, that board is made pretty thin, with thicker rails and a full EVA deck. I like the idea of a thin board, but it seems to me that if you want to build a board with some flex, the thicker it is, the less glass it needs to get the same flex, and the more stress you might have if you tried to make a board with a bit of flex if it had thick rails. When the board flexes the thicker rails would be in a lot of compression on top, carrying a lot of the load.

Or a board like this, or even on a thicker surfboard, is it possible to build enough flex into the board to noticeably increase the rocker when loaded in the turn, or does board flex mostly just help to absorb shocks and soften the ride? Also, I'm not sure how to sort out the fins, since the fin boxes need some board thickness, and also would interfere with flex. Maybe this is where compromise starts to kick in....

Thoughts?
Peter

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ideas for a directional strapless ride?? (Kipuna?)

Postby robertovillate » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:51 am

If you are looking for a nice surf shape that has flex and is durable you might want to consider replicating the Spleene Zone. I own the older (smaller) model which is 159cm x 44cm and thruster fin. The newer version is 173cm and quad fin and a lot more nose rocker.

Both boards are nice rides and very versatile. A board builder friend has fabricated a few like this and loves them. I am trying to get him to build a 2-piece version for me.

The fins are threaded holes (3 screws each) and bolt through the deck (i.e no box), Thes boards have a thin central wood core. Board thickness is similar to a common twin tip, not thick like a surfboard. I also ride (and love) my surfboard shapes (strapless Aviso and Firewire) but when it's really choppy or wild I often have more fun on the Zone with straps.

The silver board in the photo is the larger version. Let me know if you want more info.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:51 am

I broke my 2010 Kipuna. So, I can't help you with the rocker. :D I posted a pic of the cross section of the rail here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2370569 It was a fun board but not bomb proof. I think they changed the construction for 2010. Prior to 2010 it was hard to find anyone who broke one.

It uses Future Fins boxes. The center box is 1/2" deep and does not come through the deck. The side boxes are 3/4" deep and stick out a bit on the front half and are covered by the deck pad. The board is maybe too flexy?? Another guy posted a kipuna cracked behind the thruster fin.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Yeah, I saw your story about the broken board. Other than the broken aspect, sounds like it wa a nice board, Are you riding something else similar now that you can compare? (BTW, I see you're in Winnipeg, do I know you? I know all the former windsurfer from the 'peg from the years spent at the Gorge and Baja trips with Chris).

Also thanks for the Spleen info, I hadn't heard of them. I'm guessing that white one looks to be about 176x44 right? :) I see that on the deck just forward of thre fin there is a step - is that a deck pad or something else?

So on both of these boards, what kind of flex is (or was) there? Does the rocker change when loaded up, or does the flex just soften the ride?

Peter

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:50 pm

foam-n-fibre wrote:Yeah, I saw your story about the broken board. Other than the broken aspect, sounds like it wa a nice board, Are you riding something else similar now that you can compare? (BTW, I see you're in Winnipeg, do I know you? I know all the former windsurfer from the 'peg from the years spent at the Gorge and Baja trips with Chris).

Also thanks for the Spleen info, I hadn't heard of them. I'm guessing that white one looks to be about 176x44 right? :) I see that on the deck just forward of thre fin there is a step - is that a deck pad or something else?

So on both of these boards, what kind of flex is (or was) there? Does the rocker change when loaded up, or does the flex just soften the ride?

Peter
The ends of the tail are tapered near the edges which gives the tail a bit of flex. If you pm your email address I'll can send you some more photos of both boards so you can see what I'm saying. The boards have pads and inserts. I ride mostly strapped because it is small enough that moving feet around is not that easy or even necessary. Rocker in the middle does not change as much as the nose as it is thickened under the stance. This board blasts thru the nastiest of chop and gives a very surfy ride, although not quite the same as a surfboard, but still a lot of fun and you can boost the bejeezus with it and not worry about breaking it.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Have both get kipuna. kitefish is as your description,i usually bring both to beach but always end up on freewave.havent used a twin tip in two years,i am addicted to freewave.From 10 knots to 40 freewave does it all its a better light wind board than kitefish, only board that i have used is slingshot glide that is slightly better in light wind,Chop, on shore slop,big waves, freewave handles all conditions,its got great flex eats chop,very light,full deck pad,when out in big wavesl going out back you can go vertical off breaking waves or chop.Its got very little rocker so its a very fast board,this is probaly what makes it such a great light wind board,turning rail to rail is super smooth,you can snap turn on a dime,if your looking for pictures check underground web,TONY

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:54 pm

foam-n-fibre wrote:Yeah, I saw your story about the broken board. Other than the broken aspect, sounds like it wa a nice board, Are you riding something else similar now that you can compare? (BTW, I see you're in Winnipeg, do I know you? I know all the former windsurfer from the 'peg from the years spent at the Gorge and Baja trips with Chris).

Peter
Hey Peter,
Yup, I think we did meet on a few trips in the Gorge. I was part of the big Manitoba crew that enjoyed some awesome windsurfing trips there every summer ('93-'99).

The Kipuna does have significant flex that you can see and feel when pushed on with your hand. Pretty sure the rocker does change when loaded.

I am currently riding a 2011 North 5'8" WAM. I really like it tons (even more than the Kipuna). It is my one board quiver. Smoothest board I have tried to date that seems to do everything well (in quad mode, never tried thruster mode). Can't comment on the durability yet (hoping it's better than the Kipuna). I will know by the end of April on our annual Manitoba crew kiteboarding trip to Hatteras. I broke every board I took to Hatteras so far. :)

cheers,
Myron

Return to “Gear Builders”