Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sliders and pulleys vs Rings - Safety Tip

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Sliders and pulleys vs Rings - Safety Tip

Postby Laughingman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:49 am

Oldnbroken wrote:Pete,
I like Flexifoil kites, used to own 11,13,15,17 Strikes. Still use the awesome bags. The kites are in tatters.
The Ion 3 is a nice kite. Not a big fan of their bar system either, though.
Representation in the USA is almost nil these days though, wanted a Hadlow board a while back and could not find a new one anywhere.
The Ion3 bar system, as far as the pull pull etc. is fairly basic but for 2008 design I think it is pretty good. The Epic and Switch depower system is better now though, but I really like the flexi release system, very simple, nothing mechanical, nothing to break. They were one of the first to use the below the bar untwist your line method as well. All they need is a mini fifth to go through the release and I'd buy another one.
So you are interested because you feel Dimitri is using the forum too much to grow his business?
Okaaaaay.......and that is a bad thing, for what reason? And effects your life in what way?
As opposed to your your attacking his company effecting him in what way?
If you don't like his pushy Greek style or his over enthusiasm about everything, that is perfectly understandable and is your personal preference.
But your attacks make you look like you have some personal agenda to "get even" and it makes me wonder, ..what the heck for?
It is a bad thing simply because its advertising, its like that guy on the beach that is always trying to sell you something. Never before has such rampant abuse been allowed here so Why can Dimitri do it? We all know why... I just choose to balance the problem since Toby will not do anything about it.
My "all see" comment/question was asking why you want us to all see the e-mails and why the encouragement for him to do so?
That makes me think of you like the people who stand around a fight and scream kick his ass, kick his ass.

Nah, he threatened he would, but that would have been devastating to his cause, it was just a threat to shut McAbe up, I just called him on that threat is all. I was apparently correct, once he thought about it he decided not to post them but send them to me... I'm pretty sure he could still get into trouble for that, but if not, all you Epic customers out there be forewarned. Dimitri's privacy policy is decided on the whim of his discretion....

I'm pretty sure Dimitri looks forward to meeting you again and trying to make you a friend instead of his anonymous online instigator.

Oh I doubt I'm anonymous to Dimitri, he knows enough people that know me and if he paid attention when we had met he would also know. Besides I'm not so much instigating, think of it as making sure the whole story is told, bottom line is not everyone loves his kites. Thats the big secret he doesn't want the newbs to know....
As for your lightwind kite solution, you and I are about the same weight (I'm ten years older though). For me the Screamer 14M kite has become my new best friend. I don't need any more power than it provides. I don't want to go out when it is crazy light, the Infinity is too much kite for me unless it is really light wind. Over 15 or 16 mph and I was just too powered on Infinity. The Screamer 14M flies like a regular sized kite for me, doesn't feel like big kites normally do. You might really like it, ....it's a jumper too!
I like the 14m screamer but it only gives me a few knots on my 12.5m Ion3. I'm looking for something that can stay up wind starting at 8 knots, maybe even down to 7 knots on a race board, and gets fun at 10 knots. The 1G infinity has too low of an AR for me, it pulled downwind like a truck. I am pretty sure while the 2g is an "improved" design Momi's not going to give up on the characteristics of what he thinks makes a good light wind kite, so I expect the difference to be negligible. The Racer is more interesting to me ATM.
So I'm not trying to make an enemy of you, but thought maybe you might want to rethink your trend toward sarcasm, instigation and taunting, and maybe go another way.
What do you say? :cheers:
If I didn't let it out here I may end up taking it out on my wife.... she hates debating. Anyhow I'm not interested in making enemies with anyone either, especially skilled debaters.
Social media is an excellent vehicle to get your brand out to your customers, but there is a fine line between what is and what is not acceptable. I don't think what Dimitri is doing here is acceptable. So if Toby is not going to do anything about Dimitri's abuse of the forum, then it kinda falls on the shoulders of the forum members who disagree with his behavior here. The best way to do that is to make it ineffective.

But I'll drink to that aside from our disagreements. :cheers: nothing personal,people don't agree all the time!

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knot_moving » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 am

alright Toby - time to split this topic after about the 4th page and retitle it whinging, whiny little boys and girls! It started off as a pretty interesting discussion on safety and proper kite fitting design.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 am

Going back to the original topic, I wanted to ask Bill Hansen how often he recommends the bridle rope that the sliders runs through should be replaced on the Element. I plan to replace the rest of my quiver with Elements after I purchased the 13m and liked it, so want to fully understand how this new approach differs. Will there be visible wear on the line over time giving me an indication that I need to replace it - which is much better than a pully that will just snap without warning.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:42 am

Laughingman,

According to what you are looking for in a LW kite, I think you should really like the Racer 17m. It doesn't pull downwind like the Infinity, in fact going upwind is very easy as it's a racing machine. Then, it jump well and have an incredible hangtime. It is very fast for such a big kite which is nice too. I liked it as much for jumping as racing ;)
You may lose 1-2 knots in low end compare to the Infinity but if you have a race board then it is a no brainer IMHO.

To give you an idea, recently we had a demo week-end here of the Epic Kites full lineup and the Racer was the most popular kite so it really mean something!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Hello guys,
We just received the "EPIC SLIDER METAL PULLEYS" today from Fed Ex.
Will be shipping the pre-order that we have been getting today and tomorrow. Plus for limited time only, will be doing FREE SHIPPING for the USA.
:thumb:
Attachments
DSCN0008.jpg
DSC_0013 3 1.jpg

mo'wind
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby mo'wind » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:56 am

Awesome Dmitri! :thumb: Since I brought this problem to your attention over two weeks ago, its really satisfying that you are finally addressing this safety issue and doing the right thing, replacing the O ring and going to a slider.

I assume Bill Hansen will endorse this as a satifactory replacement for a pulley.

Now if you can do something with the Epic/Blade bar and fix the CL, you will really be providing great customer service and addressing another safety concern of your customers.

Again this thread has been about safety, and your recognition of these serious concerns is a step in the right direction.

Keep up the good work!

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:02 am

oh brother....

mo'wind
Frequent Poster

Postby mo'wind » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:45 am

Here is a picture of a 14m Rally with no pulleys or sliders, super fast and tons of fun if you like to jump and do more than mow the lawn. You should try this kite Dmitri, it will open our eyes to what is possible in light to moderate wind!
Attachments
14m Rally.jpg

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:53 am

Last edited by L0KI on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:12 am

good. Got a wee bit of snow but it won't last long. I'm an hour from Lake Ontario, but I teach on Huron. It's been a really warm winter. At this rate I expect an early and warm spring. Bring it on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”