Favorite Beaches: all cabarete´s beaches
Style: long distance
Gear: naish kites and north race board
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

anynone owns the 2012 naish venturi 190? Or North Race LTD69

Postby ipxca » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:05 am

I am looking for board, longer and wider as possible, Had anyone tried the naish 2012 venturi, or at least the North RACE LTD 69. Is venturi as heavey as it says in ika's aproved boards list? (says 8,4kg)....Thanks a lot.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: anynone owns the 2012 naish venturi 190? Or North Race L

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 am

Aloha

I finally broke down and got the big venturi. It is s super gun board. Definitely sits way down on the aster. Makes it easier to push it upwind.

Am not sure about the weight. It certainly does not feel heavy. I can can weight. It tho

ipxca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: playa lido puerto la cruz, punta araya both in venezuela
Favorite Beaches: all cabarete´s beaches
Style: long distance
Gear: naish kites and north race board
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby ipxca » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:44 am

Hi, If You can weight it it would be very useful, and if possible, it would be much better to know if shape has changed from 2011 design...(do you have any photo).Thanks a lot.

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 am

Anyone have any time-under-feet of all 3 sizes of 2012 Venturi and can care to comment on the type of riding that each one excels at?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:41 am

discojuggernaut wrote:Anyone have any time-under-feet of all 3 sizes of 2012 Venturi and can care to comment on the type of riding that each one excels at?
Hi, well I guess I have had time on all. I think all 3 are good improvements on last years board. It seems the year did a lot for maturing the venturi. The smaller is much more of a freerider, and just lightwind performance. Much smaller form factor. It is fast, and easier to just mess around with, going fast downwind is super fun on this board. Doesn't rides as easily flat as the two bigger ones. The bigger ones, are much more dedicated raceboards. I got the medium board first because the bigger ones was a little more intimidating. I am not sure why, because when you are on it, the board is super solid.

I would say the medium board sits well down on the water, but would generally probably fit smaller riders better than me. I mean it rides fine and I would beat last years model everytime, but the larger board makes it even easier to ride flat, and drive upwind. Once I made that jump, I think my riding became better. That said, I have not had time to have it out for months now. :-(

So smallest: light wind freerider. Two bigger are both dedicated raceboards, and I would say unless you are light I would go with the large one. :-)

The large one is actually easier to tack and ride upwind. Personally I cannot see anything that the larger one is not doing better for me. I am 190-200lb right now going down to 180.

lisaped
Medium Poster

Postby lisaped » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Anyone else can say a word about Venturi? How it compares to North and Airush? How is it comfortable to ride?
tautologies, did you ever get overpowered on 190? How controlable is it when overpowered?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:36 pm

lisaped wrote:Anyone else can say a word about Venturi? How it compares to North and Airush? How is it comfortable to ride?
tautologies, did you ever get overpowered on 190? How controlable is it when overpowered?
I;ve only been in the north board for a very short while, so I'm not going to attempt any comparison. I like my board though.

The raceboards doesn't really get overpowered...it is just a matter of how much power you legs can hold. :-)
I mean once you do down wind / broad reaches, it'll take some time to come to a speed where my legs regain the strength to turn the board into the wind, but that has less to do with the board I think. The fins are huge, and so as long as they do not break and your board is bouncing you'll be good. The new venturis are much more solid on the water. I am still playing with the footstrap placement a little.

In terms of how comforatble it is..all the venturis are comfortable. I think the big difference between the smaller ones and the large is that the smaller feels wilder going really fast.. I am not sure at the top speeds of the board, as I did not have my GPS on at the time, but the speed feel similar, but the larger feels more stable. Seriously..if you take the boards out in 10 mph you will be flying fast. Take them out in 12 mph, and you have to hold on. Above that is epic speeds. I think my large venturi and the 15 charger have me going in about 8 mph...maybe even a little lower (I find it really hard to estimate acurately as windspeeds on the beach have been measured lower, but I think the wind is different once you get out)...to say it this way...I can ride the board in windspeeds where the kite normally would not even stay in the air. All I need is to keep speed up on the board, and not mess up my tacks...ie keep the kite flying forward.

If I compare it to my foilboard I find it more fun to ride a regular raceboard. The foils are not really very speedy, and once you start doing the back / front rolls etc on the foil it feels like you've reached the limit. On a raceboard, it is really good exercise, you go fast in 10mph, lightening fast in above 12 mph...and it feels like the board can do more in a way. If I compare low end, I think a foil board can use a smaller kite in light winds, but it kind of feels like the low end is similar.

I live at a spot where lightwinds are prevalent, yet a lot of people seems to not get a raceboard...so many times I'll be out alone...I can see people try to launch and fail and drop their kites using surfboard, but still I am riding with good power. My number of ridable days have increased by a lot. Anyways, my personal opinion is that for the venturi...the smallest is good if you just want to do lightwind cruising and have a light board on your feet. The medium is good if you want to do racing but are a light rider, and the large one is good if you want to do super well in competitions and really do racing.

So I weighed the two boards I have. Medium is about 21-22lb (including fins and 4 footstraps) Large is about 23-24lb including large G10 fins, fin covers and 4 footstraps (and a little sand). I do not have the smallest one, but that board is quite a bit skinnier than the other two.

When you carry them they feel a lot lighter than I would assume just looking at them. I do not know the volume, but it seems the trend is more volume.

I saw a north proto on the beach here and I am guessing concepts for 2013 because the tail shape is very different and that board was really thick. I am guessing this is where things are going?

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:20 pm

I tried the Venturi. Didn't like it. Also tried a North 2010 (which is relatively narrow) and the RRD K65.
I would take the RRD any day !

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Ups, it was the 2011 Venturi I tried

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback tautologies!

If you don't mind more brain-picking, do you have an opinion about 2012 versus 2011, if possible the medium model?

Return to “Kitesurfing”