Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

New German camera to go head-to-head with GoPro

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Rather than Rollei or Leica (we could only wish!), I gather it is game developers who offer the new CamOne Infinity.

It looks like they bought a GoPro Hero and, like the Japanese of the 70's, re-designed it with some, of what they must feel, are improvements. Controls are all on top - preview screen on the back - two Micro card slots, etc. I just quickly looked at the video specs, they seem quite similar. I am surprised that GP did not have design rights to the mount .. this one is nearly identical to GP's? ...they did make it so it will not flop as easily if not rock-hard tight.

The only immediate negative for me: it is not Mac friendly. The latest upgrades are PC only.

It is early, but the video I saw was not all that impressive. Mostly because it was done in Winter sun late in the day - not pretty light. I bought it to make rescue floats and grips.. If one of you has one - and is headed to Brazil, Cabarete or some other tropical kite spot .. I'll make you a free kite grip for it.

Jim

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Re: New German camera to go head-to-head with GoPro

Postby John Doe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Looks cool, but unless it does something; better, cheaper, faster or higher quality - then it's just a reinvention of the wheel.

I picked up a GoPro Original (still shoots 1920 high def video) for $190 with no tax on Overstock.com. Pretty happy with it. Took it to Maui, slammed it around & used if non-stop for 2 weeks. It died, sent it to GoPro & they sent me another one pretty quickly.

What's the price on the German model?

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:38 pm

John Doe wrote:Looks cool, but unless it does something; better, cheaper, faster or higher quality - then it's just a reinvention of the wheel.

I picked up a GoPro Original (still shoots 1920 high def video) for $190 with no tax on Overstock.com. Pretty happy with it. Took it to Maui, slammed it around & used if non-stop for 2 weeks. It died, sent it to GoPro & they sent me another one pretty quickly.

What's the price on the German model?

GoPro customer service rocks :mosh: !!!

They send me immiediatly replacement clip the first time that i wrote email and hole new case complete when the lens cover apeard some cracks on the black ring.....the second....

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 pm

Looks nice with the display and small size :thumb:

Unfortunately it is only wideangle 127° or super wideangle 170° in lower res, just as the GoPro, so not usable as a kitecam...

I was just so impressed about the interchangeable lens, that I was hoping it could have a normal slight zoom lens as an option, or just a neutral lens for "everything" - but maybe it will come later ?

Then it would be REALLY interesting, as it can be used both as a helmet or board cam super wideangle, and as a kitecam around 45-50mm (or just simply plain 35mm would maybe do) :rollgrin:

:D Peter

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed
Been thanked: 0

Postby discojuggernaut » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 am

FYI new Lumix DMC-FT4 will have time-lapse photo mode on it, making it a decent kitecam alternative.

Video modes are:
1920 x 1080 (60, 30 fps),
1280 x 720 (60, 30 fps),
640 x 480 (30 fps)

linky

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:08 am

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Nik and John... Clearly GoPro seem to be the Red Bull in this market. With the big head start, in the action segment, they can afford to be nice. ...and John you're right, unless you can bring in some heavy specs, interchangeable lens' that adjust the view like Peter would like (the RC model guys have them for the GoPro) ..there seems to be little reason to leave the GoPro fold. First-time users may find this Infinity cam easier to use. Price discussed was about $250 in the US, but $300 is current - sourced in Germany. They do not seem to have have a functioning tech support unit yet, so there are some major, basic decisions they are going to have to make to get up to steam. I cannot imagine they put all the work into this for it to become a dust collector.

That Panasonic has one spec I don't remember seeing at the moment 1920 x 1080 (60 fps) I remember all the howling about the Contour ROAM .. the Contour gang was falling down kicking and screaming like 3yr olds about Contour only doing 720 30fps with the ROAM.

O-B ... Ya, I tried to pre-order a couple of those about a month ago. Nope! - June '12 earliest. Looks interesting tho'. The size is perfect for a lot of things.

Jim

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 pm

http://gobandit.com/

These look interesting (if they work) a camera with an integrated GPS / accellerometer so it basically does what the Shadow Box did as well as capture video.

Another cool feature is it has wifi and u can get a phone app so you can preview the shot on your phone to get it angled right or to play back the video.

The editing software lets you overlay speed, g-force, position etc on top of the video.

If this works then I am sure GoPro will have to develop a bolt-on to compete.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:39 pm

That Ego HD is nice, but it'll need a case for kiteboarding. The 10 foot waterproof rating will not protect it when water is forced in on a crash, plus saltwater would wreck it!

Nice small alternative, though. Be neat to see that in action.

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''

Postby Al_Kiter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:03 am

The Rollei Bullet 4s 1080p is now selling in some places in a nice bundle for as low as 149€. It seems as good as the gopro hero2 but the lens is a bit narrower. Does anyone have experience with this camera and know if it's any good as a kite camera?

Return to “Kitesurfing”