Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

anynone owns the 2012 naish venturi 190? Or North Race LTD69

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: anynone owns the 2012 naish venturi 190? Or North Race L

Postby tautologies » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:42 am

discojuggernaut wrote:Thanks for the comprehensive feedback tautologies!

If you don't mind more brain-picking, do you have an opinion about 2012 versus 2011, if possible the medium model?
Well, I rode the 2011 with two different fin options. I think the 2011 is a fun fast ride. On the stock fins it goes on a reach super fast, however it feels more out of control. I do think this might have something to do with the fins, which I think they nailed better on the medium 2012. It is way harder to ride the 2011 completely flat and the new 2012 goes quite a bit better upwind..even with large fins on the 2011. My buddy is riding that, and every time he thinks he have found out how to ride it he calls for a challenge, and every time I end up way upwind of him. I've ridden mine more than him though...
The 2012 is both smoother and sits better on the water and overall makes the ride much easier.

After i got the big board, he has not even tried.

In terms of rides...My GPS has given me I think about 33-35 mph on a reach for both the boards...but when you go that fast on the 2011 you are almost shaken to pieces...it is a way crazier ride, which in many ways is fun, but the out of control going fast is only fun when noone else is around you...when you race it is scary...or well I think so...bumping kites and not feel like you own the board is not ideal ;-) I do think I could squeeze a little more out of the big one.

So if you want to go with performance racing the new board is better. If you main idea is to go in super light wind, if you get custom fins, the 2011 will almost be there..but the width on the new board really makes it easier to ride. The problem IMO with custom fins on the 2011 is that then you might as well get the new 2012 price wise. The new fins are that much better. The fin boxes are smoother and tighter. The strap placement on the new board is better. On the 2011 I ended up putting my foot out on the rail to push down the opposite rail. Personally I would go with the 2012.

That said, take into consideration I am no pro. My level is that I can tack, and nail most of the tacks one way...but they are way too slow. Goal is to learn this before the summer races are on.

If you are around here you are welcome to have a go on mine.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChristoffM » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Yo thanks for the info! I am also interested in maybe getting a new big raceboard for lightwind racing. Had the north 2010, made a 70cm wide tri fin and fitted windsurf fins, but now I want a good more refined board. The course boards are just so much fun in light winds!

Is the 2012 venturi the current model that came out July 2011? I assume so?

Does anyone now when the new boards will be released? Are most in July? I am looking between the North race, Venturi and maybe the Underground (which apparently should be Mikes lab design of 2011 season, which I assume will be at least as good as the new models of the other two boards?

The boards improve so quickly, I would want to spend all the money on a new board only to hear how much easier, nicer, faster, better the new board is only 2 months later.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:18 am

:D :D
I can see that point
that said the boards now I think have matured a bit more, but will probably continue to do so for some time...but Imo this is like technology...there will always be something around the corner so making the jump is best when you are ready and not the technology. Lucky for us the box and ptoduction series rule is in place because it keeps the development a little more grounded.

Well the boards were slated tor July but I only got my large board in October...

You are right tho in light wind raceboards rule supreme :)

lisaped
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby lisaped » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:36 pm

tautologies, thanks for the feedback and many interesting details. Are med and larger Venturi having big tendency to bouncing when speed picks up?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm

lisaped wrote:tautologies, thanks for the feedback and many interesting details. Are med and larger Venturi having big tendency to bouncing when speed picks up?
I'd say a lot less so than last years. I mean it obviously depends on how choppy it is, but once you get your footstraps positioned it feels like the board is has sucktion to the surface.

Again I am no expert in this, and although I have ridden a few other boards, have limited experience so it is not like a surfboard where I can feel what is missing, or what I want it to do. I do feel quite a difference between last years and this years. And between the this years and the north free ride (the board I have ridden the most..in addition to a few others).

Most of the comments I have gotten are on how flat the board sits in the water (in addition to being fast), when i ride. One guy though it looked like the board bounced, but I changed footstrap position after that. So to answer, it doesn't feel bouncy to me. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”