Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: SW Colorado Snowkite Conditions

Postby matthepp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:20 am

Chris, here's your ride report. Blue Mesa was over the top today. Survival kiting in some massive gusts howling down the lake. Elk Creek weather station recorded a 63 mph gust. Scott and I got out on a REAL fast hardpack snow. According to my GPS, I hit 48.5 mph before bailing out in an impressive crater-fest across the lake. I felt like one of those buffalos going down on Dances With Wolves! Anyhow, I have a Peter Lynn Arc that I'll never strap myself to again. Anyone want to make a deal?
Looks like more nice frontals on the way-

g-force junkie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: no beaches just big mountains covered in snow
Style: kiteskiing
Gear: Naish x3 17
Naish areo 2 14
Naish ar5 9.5
Naish arx 9.5
Rrd lupe 7 12
Cabrihna blacktip 7
Cabrihna co2
Mosquito pro ks 5.5
Head mojo 90 twin tips
Head racing skis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby g-force junkie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Yea those were some wicked squalls yesterday, thought about coming over but the winds were just to weird over here on the front range. what PL were you on ?

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts

Postby matthepp » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:26 pm

P-force-
I was on a Bomba 13. It is now listed in the 2nd hand section here. I tried being an ARC junkie, but I'm over it!

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Creede shots from my old beater camera yesterday. Wished they turned out better but man was it fun!
Attachments
IMG_6437.jpg
Eric ready to boost down one of the high points.
IMG_6437.jpg (67.25 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
IMG_6434.jpg
IMG_6434.jpg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
IMG_6423.jpg
One of the high points above the valley. Wind lip ready for destruction in the distance.
IMG_6423.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
IMG_6419.jpg
Eric getting ready to rip it up.
IMG_6419.jpg (110.99 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts

Postby matthepp » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Lizard Head produced the best day of the season Saturday. Lit 9m conditions, bluebird skies, and fresh untracked powder. There were 11 kites in the sky, including a few noobs getting their fair dose of friendly tea-bagging. Lots more wind on the way too. I think spring is here, wahoo! Here's a pic of Parker getting away with highway robbery.
Attachments
P1020896.JPG

Chris Huson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo, Long Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, South Padre Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 9 & 12m North Rebels

Postby Chris Huson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi, I'm going to be joining you guys next week and I have a question about what gear to pack. Should I bring snowshoes? Do you throw them in your backpack when you ride in case you have a long walk back, or is the snow pretty packed?

Also, I've got 12m and 9m kites (North Rebels). Should I bring the 9 or leave it home? I'm relatively new on snow but pretty good on water. I don't ride too aggressively, and since I'm alone I'll stick close to the lot unless I hook up with you locals who know where you're going.

Thanks a lot! (I'll be in Steamboat/Rabbit Ears over the weekend, and Telluride from March 7-14, with a few days free in between. Should I head to Gunnison then?)

Chris
917-648-5632

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Those are some sweet pictures from LH and Creede!

Keep the stoke coming. The powder looks great!

On the topic of LEI guys not sticking with foils,
I have an Ozone Frenzy 7.5M for sale if anyone is interested.

senorparker
Rare Poster

Postby senorparker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Hey Chris,

I'm usually the only kiter on a snowboard at Lizzard Head. I don't wear a pack while kiting at LH, so I don't carry snowshoes. However, at the very least, snowshoes would be nice for setting up lines, inflating the kite, etc. The snow was crotch deep over the weekend, so snowshoes would have been nice. Your call.

Bring both kites, as we are headed into the windiest time of the year.

NeWORBiT
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Blue Mesa Reservoir
Style: gimpy old school
Gear: 11m HQ neo II, 6m Slingsnot

Postby NeWORBiT » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 am

Saturday the windometer at Blue Mesa topped out in the 60+ mph range , same at the ski area to the north. Max wind forecasted for the day was 30 from the SW. Seemed like it would be a good day to do a kite tour of the lower slopes of Whiterock Mtn. My original plan was to ski up valley to Gothic and double the length of a route I had done last spring, Snodgrass trail head ( a kite site in itself on a small pass between the ski area and Snodgrass Mtn) to Brush Creek, along the East River Vallley, and play a bit on the slopes of Whiterock. But at noon, winds to 15 at the trailhead convinced me to just drop into the valley, in case winds increased later, and repeat the same tour as last year. Avalanche danger was 'considerable' but I knew a route to ski into the valley and stay on slopes less than 25 degrees (which don't usually slide). Skiing down to the valley bottom I saw that nearly all the steeper slopes had already avalanched. No prob, I chose to do the lower slopes of Whiterock because the steepness is around 20 degrees. Crossed the frozen river, set up the 11 meter and finally got enough of a gust to launch the kite. Had to constantly kite circle to get a slow lurching climb. Climbed to a little plateau and decided the wind was too weak to make it across a little creek gully. So cruised back down to the East River valley bottom, and got some turns and tiny glides, where I could easily cross the creek. Same deal on the next plateau, creek gully crossing spot, back to the valley bottom again for another slow lurching kite circling climb. All the while noticing the winds are increasingly peeling bigger clouds of snow off of Crested Butte, which is now upwind of me and blocking much of the flow. My previous climbs were up to or below the elevation of the Snodgrass saddle. So, my third climb started much like the others slow lurching, mandatory circling, barely keeping the kite up. Then, hey I am cruising, no need to circle it, in fact better pull some depower. Three seconds later fully depowered going uphill at thirty mph I'm launched, airborne for thirty yards and flung uphill onto my face. I pull my head out of the snow just as my kite powers up real hard again. Instantly the plastic spreader bar on my 25 year old wind surfing harness disintegrates and my kite flies out of sight uphill, downwind. Apparently my fifth line (safety flagout line) had released when I fell on it. And maybe I had hit the CL safety release, as it was open when I retrieved the kite I find my rx glasses, thrown clear, about forty yards away. And then, am able to spot the kite 200 yards uphill. It luckily caught on a bush. So I scrambled up to it (while the winds were alternately mostly howling uphill, light and variable and then blowing downhill <a turbulent rotor flow>), packed it up and skied out down valley to the next trailhead.

Lessons learned; should've anticipated the crazy winds when I got to about the elevation of the ridge upwind and switched to the 6 meter in my pack. Or just stayed in the valley bottom. And wear goggles or strap them specs on. And, only do that tour in strong winds when the flow parallels the valley (to avoid the wild turbulent rotor winds). And change that 5th line deal so it doesn't inadvertently release. I got lucky, no kite damage, no pain, and it sure was fun dragging uphill again.

Made a new strong, spiraling, sliding spreader bar and put it on the old harness. So Let's Ride, Tony

eander
Rare Poster
Local Beach: colorado mountains
Gear: I like ozone

Postby eander » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Hay Tony I am glad to here that you and your kite made it out of there in one peace. The wind here has been crazy too and I am still recovering from riding the super deep powder in creede and havent riden, but things are looking like this week could be good. I would love to hook up with you some time, I ride cottonwood pass and have always thought the tailor woud be great, there are so many options with sled access so if your intrested let me know. I think its time to start the central colorado page.

Eric

Return to “Snow / Land”