Local Beach: Blue Mesa Reservoir
Style: gimpy old school
Gear: 11m HQ neo II, 6m Slingsnot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SW Colorado Snowkite Conditions

Postby NeWORBiT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:40 am

Tomorrow the choice is Taylor Park or the Blue Mesa Reservoir wind tunnel, check the fukcasts in the morning. It would be nice to get TP in north winds, also should be good snow and HILLS there! But, their wind forecast there is lighter than BMR (let's hope they're wrong). On BMR today, I got there late, just missed the strong wind and passed on the whiteout snow squall that SN was riding through, powered up on a 8m. I figured the 20 mile by 2 mile lake wasn't big enough for both of us in those conditions. When visibility improved, I got going and was slightly under powered on the 11m. Snow conditions were glazed windslab with patches of thin pow on BMR.
Let's Ride, Tony
(PM or email me for directions)

Chris Huson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo, Long Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, South Padre Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 9 & 12m North Rebels

Postby Chris Huson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:40 am

As luck would have it winds look like they might be good tomorrow, my first day in the area. I'm up in Grand Junction so I thought Blue Mesa Reservior might be the best place to go. I've seen you guys post about Old Stevens there, and I think I can find it, but I would prefer a spot further west. I'm going to stay close to the car and take it easy, ideally where there are other kiters. Any specific location suggestions?

Hope to see you guys out there. -Chris 917-648-5632

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 am

Chris, hopefully some of the riders out that way can chime in as I've never gotten a chance to explore that far west. I think that Lizard Head pass might be a good call for you...it looks like you can drive to the site. Also, you might want to pick some of the Grand Junction local's heads about Grand Mesa. It's right out of Junction and I heard there's a ton of potential up there. Good luck and have fun!!
Chris

NeWORBiT
Rare Poster

Postby NeWORBiT » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:41 am

Check out localkitespots.com/kitesurfing/Colorado . That's where I saw info about that Grand Mesa site, haven't been there yet. Might be crankin' wind at higher elevation tomorrow.

CH sent you a PM. Tony

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Yesterday NOAA was calling for a dust storm. We didn't get it but we did get really nasty gusty winds Literally 0 gusting to 30. It was survival kiting out there. Here's the track from Lizard Head.
Attachments
Lizard Head 3-5-12.jpg

Chris Huson
Rare Poster

Postby Chris Huson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 pm

I tried out Grand Mesa yesterday. The Lands End (?) road turnoff seemed like the best spot but there was no one there so I parked at the cross country ski lot a bit further north--still no kiters but at least a bunch of skiers around.

Winds were 15-20 and gusty. I pumped up and launched but couldn't really get going in the deep powder. I didn't realize how turbulent the winds would be (perhaps because of a bad choice of setup, downwind of a little ridge). I put down the kite and decided to call it a day.

Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next week to hit Lizard Head, better to be with other kiters. Matt, Tony, and everyone else, thanks so much for the local advice and warm welcome.

-Chris

NeWORBiT
Rare Poster

Postby NeWORBiT » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:55 pm

We had an awesome day yesterday at SNOW MESA. It is a huge 12,000' msl elevation mesa southeast of Lake City. Access is from spring creek pass parking lot. About 1000' vertical climb through timber, must hike or snowmo, on a groomed trail. It was my first time there, my buddy has kited it several times before. The snow wasn't all great, wind slab sastrugi with some big smooth hardpack areas and pockets of powder in the depressions. We tacked against a SW or SSW wind 10 -25 mph wind to the south end. Then played on the lower foothills of Baldy Cinco mountain. Then we cruised along the groomed snowmobile trail eastward till we got to a deeper gully.

What an incredible snowkite site! At 12,000' there's no turbulence from upwind landforms, except for north winds. There should be snow until late season. Really nice terrain features to play on. There is some avalanche potential in a snow loaded bowl east of Baldy Cinco. Too bad it's a 2+ hour drive for me. Check it out. Tony

glickster
Medium Poster

Postby glickster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 am

Nice!!! Snow Mesa is all time Colorado adventure kiting. Pretty easy to get to too.
Last March we went up there several times.
The first time we kited all around Baldy Cinco then dropped our kites 100' from the summit.
The next was way around to the east then south all the way to Bristol Head and finally down the groomed trail to Rito Hondo. It's a tough hitch-hike just before dark on a weekday! 6 miles in the ski boots.
IMG_0391.JPG
Looking NW towards Baldy Cinco.

Snow Mesa.jpg
I wish I was there instead of the lightwind capitol of the world.
Back to CO soon.
Glickster

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Looks awesome glickster! Sweet spot. Thanks for posting!

Chris Huson
Rare Poster

Postby Chris Huson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Lizard Head Pass was gorgeous yesterday. The wind was up and down, but around 1:00 it was strong enough for me to get a short session on my 12m rebel. One local was practicing on his 4m, staying on the packed trail.

Thanks for the hospitality everybody. -Chris

Return to “Snow / Land”