Forum for snow- and landkiters
waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider
Has thanked: 0

Who is out there trying to find new spots? That aren't flat

Postby waynepjh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:24 am

I have not seen much from people that are exploring new spots! Is everybody happy with what they are riding? I am so freaked out right now that we have not hit all the spots we have found on google earth. Get out there and explore! Then post some pics so I can share your stoke!
Attachments
cresent mt-40.jpg
cresent mt-40.jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 2355 times

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who is out there trying to find new spots? That aren't

Postby rvrrat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:45 am

:lol: Only one problem back here Wayne, we ain't got no snow. I did get to ride Green though. That counts, right! JR

criznach
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby criznach » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:18 am

Top secret. You'll see 'em when you come visit. :wink:

NeWORBiT
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Blue Mesa Reservoir
Style: gimpy old school
Gear: 11m HQ neo II, 6m Slingsnot

Postby NeWORBiT » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:59 am

Don't freak out man, it's OK :bye: We're trying, we're finding a bunch. I started kiting about this time last winter. Done about 50 sessions so far, 10 of them where AFAIK no one had kited before. One of those ten is flat, oh well, but it is so close I ride my bike there to kite after work.
My buds are doing it too. They've come up with some great spots, not flat. And they're finally getting outfitted with backcountry gear.
Great work on the Buffalo Plateau mission. I hate my snowmobile, my back hurts thinking about it. But I swear I'll dig it out and fire it up soon. Tony

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo

Postby crabnebula » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 pm

HEY HOOOO

Ive been out on Moutn Washington and all the presidential peaks in NH for the last whole bunch of years.....I must say that back country kiting has a new definition then anything Ive seen out west...as we have NO snowmobiles allowed by law above tree line. The wind is typically over 80mph. Ice and snow climbing skills as well as general mountaineering skills and navigations skills in white out terrain is mandatory.

Ya hoo! All to myself so far!

Talk to you later!

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby waynepjh » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:56 am

crabnebula wrote:HEY HOOOO

Ive been out on Moutn Washington and all the presidential peaks in NH for the last whole bunch of years.....I must say that back country kiting has a new definition then anything Ive seen out west...as we have NO snowmobiles allowed by law above tree line. The wind is typically over 80mph. Ice and snow climbing skills as well as general mountaineering skills and navigations skills in white out terrain is mandatory.

Ya hoo! All to myself so far!

Talk to you later!
Wow you go ice climbing to get to your kiting spot. Thats extreme! WAY more extreme than wyoming. Do you kite with crampons on and ice axe or just ice axe? You don't need a sled anymore once you get to treeline. Thats where you start kiting. Kudos for doing all your adventures solo! Takes alot more drive to do it that way! I am going to start working on my ice climbing skills so I can hope to come out east and kite with the big boy. :roll:

kite_wyoming
Rare Poster

Postby kite_wyoming » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:25 am

Whoa.
If I am not mistaken, Crabnebula is a professional mountain guide.Wayne, you and I kited with him back in 2005. I grew up back east and have climbed on Cannon cliff, Cathedral ledge and the Presidential range, including Mt. Washington. I can tell you that it is no joke, people die there all the time and the reason he kites by himself is that no one else is far enough out there to follow him.
Although, it seems like it would be fun! :D :D :D

Bucko
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bozeman MT
Favorite Beaches: Any and all
Style: snowkite and landboard
Gear: Blackdiamond Havocs, GI patrole 160, HQ scout 3m, soon to ride Ozone depowers.

Postby Bucko » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 am

In the West you have the oportunity to go Big, and develope the skill sets that involves. In the east you have the oportunity to eek out an experience in some turmoltuouse terrain, and develope different skill sets. From the middle of the road I respect what both Wayne and Crabnebula do. I like to see reports about spots people have to enter under their own power; Wayne and Crabnebula have both done this (Sublet peak and Mount Washington). I've even read about someone skinning into to the Big Horns.

Thanks for the past posts guys.

Any one have their sights on some sans machine terrain?
Merely a selfish inquisition, because I don't presently have the time to invest in exploration.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby waynepjh » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 pm

kite_wyoming wrote:Whoa.
If I am not mistaken, Crabnebula is a professional mountain guide.Wayne, you and I kited with him back in 2005. I grew up back east and have climbed on Cannon cliff, Cathedral ledge and the Presidential range, including Mt. Washington. I can tell you that it is no joke, people die there all the time and the reason he kites by himself is that no one else is far enough out there to follow him.
Although, it seems like it would be fun! :D :D :D
I never said it was a joke chaz! :nono: Just thought it was funny that out east you need a different skill set to kite. like ice climbing, mountaineering, and whiteout navigation skills. None of those come into play out in the west where we just snowmobile right up to every spot and kite.
It doesn't matter where your adventures are just that you post some pics and tell us about it. I love hearing about adventures.

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo

Postby crabnebula » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:41 pm

haha you guys are funny.

you asked the question and I sensed a little nepitism in the tone so I am simply informing you of how on the east it is happening (limited as it may seem).

I am basically really busy out there kiting at the moment to get all the fun things I am doing on line.

Mind you this winter has been really bad and I cant wait to get out west and meet up with you guys to get some more mountain kiting in, as here....kiting above tree line is going to be very limited and very dangerous as there is very little snow and it is melting really fast!

Talk to you later!!

Z

Return to “Snow / Land”