Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Ultimate Kiteracer?

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

The Ultimate Kiteracer?

Postby tautologies » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:13 am

So what would the ultimate kiteracer look like? In othersports there is often a type. Obviously not without exceptions, but for instance basketball players are tall.

Regardless of other characteristics, technique will be important, but given good techniques, what are some other qualitites a rider could / should have?

Strength?
I am thinking someone with a lot of static strength in their legs.

Weight?
I would actually assume that to a certain extent being heavy could be an advantage. It would require specialized gear, but a heavier person would hold the board more stable on the water in high speeds right? I do see the disadvantage of being too heavy especially considering the box rule for boards, but someone who can hold a lot of power over time will definitely have an advantage, and for that some weight will be part of it....

Length?
How about length for leverage? Obviously someone with long legs would need to move further, across the board, but it would provide leverage?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Re: The Ultimate Kiteracer?

Postby airsurfer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 am

I think as in most racing sports that involve a vehicle especially sailing it's mostly mental strategy and toughness and the course and equipment are the other biggest factors. This is evidenced by the recent kite course race winners. I'm not saying that physical characteristics aren't important I just think they aren't the biggest factors. The only exception might be speed racing in extreme conditions where weight strength is a big factor. I think that given the imaturity of kite course racing right now the RULES money equipment and resources are the biggest factors other than the mental aspect. So if you have that on your side go for it you too could look like a top racer :)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 am

Agreed that the sport is immature. The moment it becomes an Olympic sport that will change me thinks.

:)
Personally I don't really have any if the above but I am figuring certain. Characteristics will benefit racers given every else being the same (which it isn't)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:07 am

I'm thinking 5'2" and 200# to have the mass to drive a big kite and the center of effort close to the board. Plus really really long arms so they have more range in the kite.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby lobodomar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Spot on jakemoore,

this is him relaxing after a sesh

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster