Favorite Beaches: Isla Blanca, Holbox, Tulum, Acapulco, La Ventana, Tarifa
Style: free ride
Gear: OZONE
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone or any other line extensions for light wind

Postby betomd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi, I would like to know if someone has any good experience with adding line extensions to improve de low range of a Kite.

I have a 14m 2012 Ozone Catalyst and a big board (LF Kite fish), but would like to know if the 5m or other size line extensions would improve in very light wind conditions.

At Acapulco México, where I normally ride I get some low wind days of 10-13 knots.

I hope I can improve the power of the kite just to cruise and have some fun with the extensions and the big board combo, instead of getting a 17, 18m kite.

I know that the huge kite option would be the perfect solution for those kind of winds, but don´t want to spend that money right know, so hope to make the best of the 14m.

That is why I would like to know if it really does works to have the extensions and if it makes a real difference.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Re: Ozone or any other line extensions for light wind

Postby Séb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:04 pm

I use 6m extension on my Speed3 21m and it make a difference because I did a test with my friend who is about the same weight (I am a bit heavier), who ride the exact same board and in very light wind I was able to ride while he had a very hard time doing water start. We then changed our kites and the situation just inverse so yes it make a difference. The reason is that often the wind is slightly better higher and also because you have a longer power stroke. I did also a test on an Epic Infinity V2 with and without extension and I could almost get 2 knots in the low end with the extension. Also, I found the hangtime to be better, at least on my 21m.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:18 pm

betomd wrote: ...
I have a 14m 2012 Ozone Catalyst and a big board (LF Kite fish), but would like to know if the 5m or other size line extensions would improve in very light wind conditions.
Thanks for any help I can get.
YES -- 5m extensions Absolutely help in Low wind.

However i would recommend "Against" adding extensions because :
1) The knots in the lines like to get tangled ; especially if Ya drop the kite in the water.
2) Takes TO0oo long to put them on & take them off again.

MUCH better off getting an entire extra bar with 5m longer lines ; then
you only loose 5min to change it out.

I have 3 bars with different line-sets each :
One with Stock lines, one 4m Shorter than stock, one 5m Longer than stock lines ; and all three
make a Huge difference in the power and handling with my Ozone's.
I mostly fly the Edge !

Bille

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Bille wrote:However i would recommend "Against" adding extensions because :1) The knots in the lines like to get tangled ; especially if Ya drop the kite in the water.2) Takes TO0oo long to put them on & take them off again.MUCH better off getting an entire extra bar with 5m longer lines ; thenyou only loose 5min to change it out.
Having seperate bars may be a little easier in some situations, but the cost difference is huge! A set of extensions will run you $40 or $50. Even if you buy a used bar, you're looking at $200. $350-$400 for a new one.

1. Many manufacturers supply their bars with extensions. I've been riding 100+sessions a year for 3 years with line extensions and have never had an issue with the extension knots tangling when the kite crashes.
2. If you can't add or remove a set of extensions in 5 minutes, there's something wrong. Takes less time to add/remove extensions as to unwind and set up a second bar and roll up the lines on the first bar.

Buying a set of 4m or 5m extensions is a good, cheap way to add to your low end.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:56 pm

extensions make a significant difference to a point of diminishing returns (slower turning more drag harder relaunch) in the winds that you're talking about the 5M extensions will probably help a bit without too much downside.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:17 pm

extensions is part art part science. The air right next to the ground is static and the air speed increases with height. Adding extensions gives you more power, up to a point.

If you are next to shore, extensions help a lot, if you are out in the ocean extensions don't help much (because the air speed is faster close to ground in the open).

I have run extensions from 5m up to 50m and generally get the best bang at about 10m extensions with 20 to 25 meter lines, so you want your total line length about 30 to 35 meters.

I suspect at a place like Acapulco you won't get much help from extensions.

There are some places I ride (lake st clair) where I put on 10 meter extensions help enormously, at 30 meters the wind is blowing 20 knots, but next to ground it is 6 or 7 knots, while if I ride other places (like lake michigan), extensions do almost nothing.

Ask your local people. If they aren't riding extensions there's a reason.

And don't listen to anyone who says extensions suck, they DEFINITELY help but it is allll about location. Some people never rode in a place where the wind just kicks in at 30 meters.

Just two days ago I was riding on 35 meter lines (25m with 10m extensions) on lake st clair, boosting 20 feet, while Xavier couldn't even ride upwind because he only had 25 meter lines and all the wind was right at 30 meters.

Talk to your local people, like I said I suspect from the topology that you're not gonna get any help with extensions, go buy a surfboard.

I only have one decent bar anymore because I snapped my other bars extensions are so much cheaper than buying new bars.
Last edited by edt on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

betomd
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Acapulco, México
Favorite Beaches: Isla Blanca, Holbox, Tulum, Acapulco, La Ventana, Tarifa
Style: free ride
Gear: OZONE

Postby betomd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Thank you very much for the advice.

From what I´m hearing, the 5m extensions would be the best and most affordable option at the moment to improve my low end range, and depending on the results I would be considering about getting or not, a light wind specific kite.

Don´t know if someone already has a similar experience with a 14m kite (with extensions), and could compare the difference to a light wind specific kite.

Again, at the moment can’t spend the cash, but could consider selling my current kite or save some money to get one of this kites (zephyr, Infinity, Dyno) in the future, if the difference is huge.

Thanks, for all your comments, they have been very helpful.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:22 pm

betomd you must talk to your local guys, 5m might not do anything!

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Don't underestimate the impotence of a longer power stroke.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:35 pm

gbleck wrote:Don't underestimate the impotence of a longer power stroke.
a long power stroke is nice but it is mostly a convenience, instead of working the kite up and down like a madman it's more relaxing to slowly sine the kite up and down for the same effect.

Return to “Kitesurfing”