acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite Anchor vs. Kite Buddy

Postby acctx » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Don Monnot wrote:Dog leash anchors are dangerous for kiting anchors. They definitely don't hold well enough in soft soils (like sand). I've personally had them pull out and go flying through the air--not a good thing on a crowded beach. It happened to me on a deserted beach, with no harm. Don't use them!

Don
I use these sand anchors from REI

http://www.rei.com/product/725165/rei-s ... nt-anchors

Along with a shovel to dig the hole. What I like about them is they crumple up to be very compact. Not sure they would stay underground in 35 mph wind as one other posted said the other kind did.
Last edited by acctx on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Has anyone tried this in windy(20-30mph) or gusty conditions?

http://www.kiteboarding.com/proddetail. ... andy_dandy

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34 pm

As SupaEZ said you might not end up where you started. Then it could become an issue if beach was crowded etc. :decision: :decision: :goodluck: :happybirthday:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Don Monnot wrote:Dog leash anchors are dangerous for kiting anchors. They definitely don't hold well enough in soft soils (like sand). I've personally had them pull out and go flying through the air--not a good thing on a crowded beach. It happened to me on a deserted beach, with no harm. Don't use them!

Don
I don't see much of a difference between this http://www.tractorsupply.com/titan-reg- ... mm-2436087 and the Kite anchor. Besides the the $30.

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick

Postby MattyRossJa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:09 pm

i've done this a few times hooking my harness around a tree trunk , but one time i did that and it was quite windy as always but it launched the kite all the way around and into the tree ... so i stopped , until i can install a strap that keeps the bar angle down so it doesnt allow the kite to launch

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 am

Although I've never actually investigated whether any kite MANUFACTURERS sell anchors or include them with kite purchases (like they do with pumps), my impression is that NONE do so.

Since it seems that anchors come close to making users into apparently INDEPENDENT kiters and kite manufacturers undoubtedly know that being able to RELIABLY self launch and land REASONABLY SAFELY is a highly desirable feature which increases marketability and kite value, a manufacturer could easily gain a significant competitive advantage by spending less than the cost of a pump and including an anchor (or 2) with their kites. And of course they could also sell them as accessories.

If it is true that kite manufacturers are neglecting to make their products more marketable and profitable, I wonder why.

POSSIBLE EXPLANATIONS:

1. Plain stupidity.
2. They don't want the extra effort.
3. They don't need more profits.
4. They want kiters to be dependent on each other.
5. They deliberately make their kites difficult to safely self launch and land because they secretly own the anchor manufacturers and this way they can keep 2 profitable industries going.
6. They're actually a complacent and happy cartel where no member wants to be mean to the others by getting a competitive advantage.
7. OR, since it's likely that kite manufacturers are somewhat more knowledgeable about their products than their typical customer, maybe THEY KNOW SOMETHING we don't know. For example, maybe they know that the risk of something going seriously wrong is high enough so that there is an excessive risk that they might be held liable for damages resulting from INJURIES caused while their anchor was being used.

If anyone has some additional possible explanations, I hope they post them.

Of course, it would be much more helpful to hear some MANUFACTURERS' explanations and/or opinions. If it was true that they had some reason(s) to believe that anchor use was noticeably risky, by sharing this information, their CUSTOMERS would be better educated and able to make a more informed choice as to whether to continue using anchors. After all, the potential problems can't be so severe as to cause the loss of a sale or 2 to foil manufacturers or we would have heard about anchor accidents.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:24 pm

SupaEZ wrote:....................................NEITHER...................................ANYMORE........

Been there done that for launching (and landing kite)

Fastest easiest way whether at beach or park (grass) without having to slide leading edge around

Make yourself filled sandbag (30lbs) that you keep in the car at all times for park launching
Bring to the beach an "empty' sand bag that you will fill (30lbs) on location and spill out leaving

You will be able to launch a kite in any wind strength
No need to fold wingtip
Drape filled bag with the 10/20 method
10 lbs on top of leading edge about 2ft from end of wingtip
20 lbs off the kite resting on land /beach

Have fun and like an other reader said learn to safely land kite by yourself without any gizmos
There will be time when you cannot return to your launching site and need to land kite in a hurry

:outtahere: :strong: :bravo: :thumb:
I like your idea Supa and i found the perfect sanbag fron NSI
The NSI sand or rock square velcro bag with handles can drape easily over leading in order to secure kite at launch and for other holding down the kite situations.

As you said buy 2 bags.One that you keep filled in your car for park use.One "empty" that you fill and empty out when you leave beach.Only $28 :thumb:

CFS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL
Style: Newbie

Postby CFS » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Dudes;

I use the KiteAnchor with a lot of success, and it's great for shallow water launches, as it comes with a buoy for the hook. However, I did have an incident where a rogue gust launched the kite and pulled the anchor straight out of the ground. Then you have a spike flying through the air - not good. This seems like a safer option from kiteboarding.com:

http://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp? ... eachanchor
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFxvKKn ... el&list=UL

I'm not affiliated with these or any kite vendors, just sharing.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:07 pm

I just keep about 10 feet of rope and a carabiner in my kite bag and tie it to whatever sturdy thing is convenient, so far that hasn't failed (many launches and landings in winds from about 12 to 35 knots). If I can't find anything sturdy, I just fill my kite bag with some sand or rocks.

RichardM brings up a good point in questioning the reliability and safety of tethered launches. It sounds like some kites may not do well with tether launches, but they have worked well with every kite I've tried them with.

Self launching in extremely gusty winds is questionable (although, so is kitesurfing) and I can definitely imagine problems with tether launching in strong gusty winds, but it is probably safer than the alternative self launch methods that most people use.

rtz: I think the PKS handy-dandy thing is just a piece of rope and a carabiner. Sure, it works, but you could just go to your basement and make that yourself.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:07 pm

I just keep about 10 feet of rope and a carabiner in my kite bag and tie it to whatever sturdy thing is convenient, so far that hasn't failed (many launches and landings in winds from about 12 to 35 knots). If I can't find anything sturdy, I just fill my kite bag with some sand or rocks.

RichardM brings up a good point in questioning the reliability and safety of tethered launches. It sounds like some kites may not do well with tether launches, but they have worked well with every kite I've tried them with.

Self launching in extremely gusty winds is questionable (although, so is kitesurfing) and I can definitely imagine problems with tether launching in strong gusty winds, but it is probably safer than the alternative self launch methods that most people use.

rtz: I think the PKS handy-dandy thing is just a piece of rope and a carabiner. Sure, it works, but you could just go to your basement and make that yourself.

Return to “Kitesurfing”