Local Beach: marisucia and conil
Style: strapless
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bws noise size

Postby arenasj » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading on these kites (due to the fact that i have no way of testing them), forums, reviews, tests et and there's a statement that i have read many times: "if you ride a 12m kite, then you will be ok with a 10m bws....if your size is a 10m, then 8m bws and so on"

how is this possible? i mean, have the bws team come up with such a good design that you can obtain same power with an smaller kite presumably a faster kite too?

Or is it just that the so called 10m is actually a 12m (similar dimensions and behaviour)?

Do you all (bws noise users) use a bws noise kite one size smaller than you used to for the same conditions?

All this is driving me mad I must admit...i weight 85kg and ride strapless surfboard, and really don't know whether a 10m is enough for say 12knots or i shoudl go for 12m....but will the 12m be that slow compared with the 10m?

thanks everyone!!!

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: bws noise size

Postby TommyDuotone » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:09 am

I've demo'd the 10m and 12m noise(1st generation). The 10m does fly like a 12m and the 12m more like a 14m(in power and turning speed). At just under 200 lbs, the 10m lowend for me was about 14 knots with a 6'2" surfboard(Firewire Alternator). The 12m might give you an extra 2 knots, but not worth the trade-off for the slower turning speed in my opinion. I few of my friends have switched their quivers to the Noise and only have the 10m, 8m, and 5/6m for the same reason as mentioned above. The 10m is considered their light wind kite, but heaviest of them is still under 175lbs.

The 10m Noise kite is one of the best wave kites I've ridden(compared to other 11/12m) and my buddies who ride them now are very happy with them. I do not own any noise kites nor am I affiliated in any way. Hope this helps :D

arenasj
Rare Poster

Postby arenasj » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:33 am

thanks iblocalsurfer - my only concern is between the 10 and 12m. Where i ride, i need a 12m or to loose weigth - i know there are differences between brands but a 12m... not a 14m.

Those extra 2 knots, here where i am in summer when the wind is v. low...12, 13, 14, 15 knots average...willl probably mean a lot.

I dont really care about the number it says on the wingtip (as most of people i guess), i only care about how they peform, and specially on these big kites, their turning speed.

So if the bws 12m, turns like 14m...well that's me done with the idea of buying a 12m. But if the 12m, turns like a 12m or around that mark and it's only the it pulls like a 14m, then i'm happy. Can anyone please provide any input on this?

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:07 pm

The 12 turns like a 12, and I think faster than a lot of other brands, but pulls a lot stronger than most other 12. I'm 75kg, and at 12kt I go down to the 8m with surfboard.

arenasj
Rare Poster

Postby arenasj » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:02 pm

ozonelevel wrote:The 12 turns like a 12, and I think faster than a lot of other brands, but pulls a lot stronger than most other 12. I'm 75kg, and at 12kt I go down to the 8m with surfboard.
12knot and the 8m??? that's unbelieveably good!!! is that your biggest bws noise that you have?

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:54 pm

arenasj wrote: 12knot and the 8m??? that's unbelieveably good!!! is that your biggest bws noise that you have?
The 12 is the biggest I have but I rarely use it. It's either the 8m or the Wainman 10.5

arenasj
Rare Poster

Postby arenasj » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:20 pm

okay, no wonder you dont use it..if you can do with your 8m at 12knot...

i get the impression that being 85kg, a 10m is probably a bit small for the 12-13knot mark....so i have to use a 12m, which i dont really like, but i dislike even more not to be able to kite when there're waves and wind is nto at its greatest.

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:56 pm

12-14 knots is a critical windspeed. But if there are waves it can be a lot of fun. With a decent board you should be able to get pulled onto the wave, and let the board take it from there. It doesnt matter if the kite is slow, just surf the wave and have the kite just hang up there. Let it float, or reset the kite for drift position by looping the kite or whatever. Its not going to pull in those winds anyway.

Im 85kg and had some of my nicest sessions riding a 10m Switchblade ( comparible to bws) in light winds.

You can also use the tidal currents to your advantage. Knowing the currents is essential in light winds. It can either make, or break your session. Over here, if the current is directed against the wind, it can add up to 4 knots to the existing windspeed.

arenasj
Rare Poster

Postby arenasj » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:32 pm

blacktip wrote:12-14 knots is a critical windspeed. But if there are waves it can be a lot of fun. With a decent board you should be able to get pulled onto the wave, and let the board take it from there. It doesnt matter if the kite is slow, just surf the wave and have the kite just hang up there. Let it float, or reset the kite for drift position by looping the kite or whatever. Its not going to pull in those winds anyway.

Im 85kg and had some of my nicest sessions riding a 10m Switchblade ( comparible to bws) in light winds.

You can also use the tidal currents to your advantage. Knowing the currents is essential in light winds. It can either make, or break your session. Over here, if the current is directed against the wind, it can add up to 4 knots to the existing windspeed.
yep, completely agree with you mate!! the currents play a crucial part at those wind speeds, cause you're already using the biggest quite in your quiver and if it can mean you are in or out of the water.

At my home spot, the current has a similar direction as the wind when it blows cross-onshore and it is at those times when the wind is its lowest (12 to 14knots, whereas when it blows offshore it is usually stronger than that) and you find yourself struggling to go upwind for example after catching a wave.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:34 am

Reviving an old thread, if anyone in the know is still around.

I got a good deal on a BWS quiver, 12m, 8m, 6m. I have used the 6m and 8m, quite happy with both of those. I am not sure about the 12m. I am replacing a Cabrinha Switchblade 12m (2010) that has been my go-to kite. I have been super impressed by its range, from 12kts to 22kts, and even up to 25kts overpowered in a pinch.

I've had the BWS 12m out twice in marginal conditions, so not a good test yet. But one day was gusty, maybe 12-15kts, but with some higher gusts, and it was a little scary walking out....bar fully out, depower fully on, and just barely able to hold my ground. Any more wind and I think I'd have been out of control. I have now extended the throw, to get another few inches of depower. But I'm a little uncertain if this kite might be more powerful than I can use for the wind range I want it for. I'm not sure I trust it has enough depower should conditions ramp up. I am thinking that the claims "it's a 12m but rides like a 14m" might be true.

My plan was to use the 12m to 20kts, then the 8m at 20kts plus. So it's the 18-22kt range that's the question. I expect a 10m would be better, but probably not going there ... so I am considering keeping the Cab 12m in place of the BWS 12m, as a safer alternative with better range. Thoughts from any BWS pros out there?

I am a 2nd year rider, learning to ride surfboard, but mostly twin tip still (OR Mako). I am 70kg.

Return to “Kitesurfing”