Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are the best sized kiteboard fins for staying upwind?

Forum for kitesurfers
mpitre
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard (near Dallas Tx.)
Lake Benbrook (near Fort Worth Tx.)
Galveston Beach (Houston Area)
Favorite Beaches: Matira Point, Bora Bora F.P. Society Islands
Teahupoo, Tahiti Iti
Pigeon Beach St. Lucia
Style: Laid Back
Gear: Cabrinha, North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What are the best sized kiteboard fins for staying upwind?

Postby mpitre » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Is there a big difference between a 1.5 fin and a 2.0 fin for a beginner? I've read articles that switching fin size can improve your boards upwind ability. It's hard to decipher from all of the marketing by the kite/board companies.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What are the best sized kiteboard fins for staying upwin

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:25 pm

mpitre wrote:Is there a big difference between a 1.5 fin and a 2.0 fin for a beginner? I've read articles that switching fin size can improve your boards upwind ability. It's hard to decipher from all of the marketing by the kite/board companies.
On twintips, fin size does not really matter for upwind ability 8)

Having too big fins will in fact make it worse, as the front fins will catch the chop/water too easy.

There is another discussion about this very issue somewhere I think.

But just keep the fins you got now, as upwind ability will typically improve drastically as you get better :thumb:

What matters for upwind ability is the board size, width, outline, and curve.

Not the fin size :wink:

:D Peter

mpitre
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard (near Dallas Tx.)
Lake Benbrook (near Fort Worth Tx.)
Galveston Beach (Houston Area)
Favorite Beaches: Matira Point, Bora Bora F.P. Society Islands
Teahupoo, Tahiti Iti
Pigeon Beach St. Lucia
Style: Laid Back
Gear: Cabrinha, North

Postby mpitre » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:36 pm

I just purchased a 138x 43 Crazy Fly All Around w/ 1.75 fins. I also ride a Litewave wing (massive board) which has taught me to go upwind. But it's time to take the training wheels off and start on the smaller board. I ride the local lakes of Dallas/Fort Worth Tx. But sometime make the drive down to Houston or Corpus. Should I change fins for different conditions. Keeping in mind, I only ride in choppy conditions due to my location.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
What matters for upwind ability is the board size, width, outline, and curve.

Not the fin size :wink:

:D Peter
My 2006 Slingshot Glide will fly upwind and has almost no fin.
3/4 inch fins, wide, flat board with a fairly straight heel side edge. Not a good board for chop.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:30 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:wide, flat board with a fairly straight heel side edge.
Yes, I would say that's the definition of an easy upwind twintip board. Wide, straight outline, slightly rounded corners. Fins are usually about 5cm (2in) but a bit smaller or larger does not matter. Some manufacturers add a larger middle fin (e.g. Flysurfer on their door and race boards) that one makes a big difference.

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Next time you are in Corpus you should stop by Lola and demo a brokite board. These are the nicest boards to ride in choppy conditions. I ride the freeride 134 and it's the best board I have ever ridden. I used to ride a crazyfly bulldozer and I haven't touched it since I got the brokite. The litewave spirit is also a really nice board with great upwind ability but it has a flat rocker so it might not be as good in chop. Fins on a twin tip do not affect upwind ability whatsoever. It's all about the outline, rocker, flex, and finish on the rails. Demo a bunch of different boards and find the best one that suits your size, conditions, and style.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Fins make no difference, I like a piece of wood sometimes, no fins makes the board skate_ty and slippery, but its the outline of the board, angle of board to water plane. not the fin that makes you go upwind.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Fins do not help you go upwind on a twintip, all they do is help you keep your grip. If you're properly powered, you just need to learn to use the edge of the board more and ride less on the fins, this will help you go upwind a lot better. You can go upwind without fins just as easily as with fins if your upwind technique is correct.

Once you start to become more powered and overpowered, bigger fins help you keep your grip and make it easier to keep from being pulled over your edge. I've had a few sessions where I was glad I had 2.0" ones. But my boards now have 1.5" and I like them much more just for the feeling.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Bigger fins are better. What happens with smaller fins is that you have to edge the entire board, this kicks up a rooster tail and steals energy from your kite. When you have larger fins it allows you to set your board flatter onto the water, you can level the board out, and let your fins grip the water, this means you kick up less water behind you, acquire more speed and with more apparent wind can ride upwind faster in less wind. Fins can perform the same function as a centerboard on a sailboat especially on a racing board but also to some extent on a twintip. And just like a monohull sailboat, you ride most efficiently with it nearly level.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:49 pm

mpitre wrote:Is there a big difference between a 1.5 fin and a 2.0 fin for a beginner?
IF --- Your a beginner :
Go with the 2" fins !!

Beginners sometimes ride their board wiyhout much rail dug-in the water, so a big fin helps here.
Riding flatter will also Lower the amount of wind necessary to ride your particular board.

And the bigger fin makes Way better GRIP, even when the board is turned up on a rail.
So this means that as a beginner, your getting a GOOD advantage in Light and stronger
winds which usually include more Chop.

After Ya learn to ride then go with the smaller Fins.
Because :
The ability to up-wind is Mostly the technique of the rider ; all the larger fins will do is
widen the boards range of winds for Ya.

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”