Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

switch element vs caution spitfire....can anyone compare?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: switch element vs caution spitfire....can anyone compare

Postby eree » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:34 pm

screwfootsc wrote:I would love to throw a low end challenge up at any beach, any day between a Switch Nitro and Caution Spitfire. Every characteristic the spitfire has I would challenge with a Switch. Waves they both rock in their own ways. For me, I have finally found kites I love every time I launch. So before you throw the great classic forum excuse of a 'team rider' bagging' other brands, get on the water, fly the kites and come back with a review. Your a rider/dealer/rep for Caution, thus your ignorance makes sense on this issue in your previous post.
well, i don't care about the brand. but i care about the weight of the rider. can you throw the challenge with the same kites but with the use of the equalizing weight belts?
i don't thik so...

screwfootsc
Medium Poster
Style: strapless
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby screwfootsc » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 pm

:argue: :argue:
Last edited by screwfootsc on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:04 pm

I flew a 2011 9m Spitfire, and I was amazed at the low end power. Love the way it pulls you through but your better be hangin' on tight when you send it over. It's takes off like a Top-fuel Dragster. (Do they still have those?) It's not really made for jumping but watching the Caution guys riding them would make anyone a believer. And they sure do some super cool little surf style airs all over the place, never seen anyone flow kite surf airs back into the waves like those guys do. I haven't tried the 2012's but they sure look nice in the sky, and riding alongside them I don't notice much difference to what I fly. I'll bet they work insane in waves, how could they not?

I'm on a 10m Nitro right now, and I am really loving this kite in surf. It has a "hoist" effect when barely moved, I guess "like an overhead crane" is the only way to describe it. This feature can lift you up when you want it, and you hardly need to send the kite back to get it. It enables me to do certain tricks a lot easier, for example simply tacking up into the wind becomes super easy because when you are stationary and the kite is at noon it's so solid. Kiteloop tricks are kind of tricky. It develops some scary force real quick once it starts moving and the faster it turns the more it pulls. I can't do a megoloop and hang onto my rail yet, (and possibly never will)..... It's a very progressive increase but it starts pulling exponentially harder and faster as it loops and if your not used to the timing it could get you in trouble. Having said that I seem to have less disasters then on my previous kites because it's always holding me up. I learned to be respectful of it's mighty power and now it's like having a pet dragon on a leash that gets me to wherever I need to be. Upwind it just kick the shit out of everything else, and I don't really ever want to give that up.

I had a session on it yesterday that just blew my mind. It's a fast little wave and just hoons down the line. The Nitro was absolutely suited to the angles I guess, I never went so fast on a tiny wave in my entire life. There was thick kelp (keeping others away possibly) but this relentless power just allowed me to lean back and chop through like some kind of triple knifed shredding equipment back on the farm. I could feel and hear it breaking off on my fins and I must say that is a satisfying feeling. One time I got tripped in the shallows and would have penetrated the surface and caved my skull into a boulder but that steady winch overhead just skimmmed me along on top till we stopped sliding (40 feet later). I am raving here but that is how this thing is. There is a reason why grumpy old Screwfeets is getting almost hostile about defending his beloved Nitros, the things have "balls" (as he puts it). (Kites and people as sex organs, that's kind of weird. Don't beat me up please.) Anyway he's a big strong guy and probably needs this power, it's like some sort of drug: once you develop a tolerance, you will become dependent.

I personally don't think the Nitros are the perfect kite for everyone, but the guys who know how to use the power are just raving about them. I do think the Cautions hold shape better when overpowered. You don't ever want to be OP on a Nitro. Having said that, I have held it down over 30 mph and still had fun, I just had to go fetch the board more and was a bit scared at times that I would not get back home if it picked up another 5mph....

One more great thing about the Nitro. I ride strictly ultralight surfboards, and I am not strapped on. I go through them pretty quickly. But this "crane" effect has me snapping less boards, because right before I land I just pull down on the bar really hard and catch the descent. I have not experienced this effect with any other kite I have flown.

Hope this helps. You'll be super stoked whichever kite you buy.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT

Postby windrupted » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:26 pm

1.Low end power: neither, the Nitro wins. Spitfire 2011 2nd, Element 3rd.

2.kite loops: Element is a lot easier to deal with. Caution kiteloops are scary. (2011, dunno bout the 2012.)

3. stable at high end: Cautions are tight in the sky at all times, yeah true, but a kind of absolute unrelenting pull that gets hard to hang onto. Again, I have not flown the 2012. The Element does well, a bit more user friendly when getting overpowered. Has more of a "Neutral" in the high end.

4. Upwind: Nitro wins, Spit 2nd (pound for pound). Element 3rd. But you can fly a bigger Element and beat 'em that way.

5. reaction to steering, not sure. Cautions are very good, so is the Element. Spitfire feels more direct, like a C-kite.

6. which one has more power in the turn, Spitfire.

7. overall jump performance and hangtime: I don't ride a twin so I can't comment here. I had fun on a 13m Element in the snow, and kiteloop tricks were never so easy. Super steady, predictable loops but slow coming around being a 13m. I loved it enough that I want the 15m when it comes out.

I am on the Switch team program but I am trying to be objective here. I weigh 185#. Hope this helps.

wytcap
Medium Poster

Postby wytcap » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Nice review!
I should have my 11m Element tomorrow!
I am also going for a 15m when it comes out!!

windrupted
Frequent Poster

Postby windrupted » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:27 am

It's like waiting for Christmas Morning, is it not? Every kite I have ordered has arrived in a timely fashion, but the suspense is overwhelming. Don't order during the holidays, whatever you do. No taxes or any of that shit in the USA, just a good kite, at a decent price. You are gonna love it.

wytcap
Medium Poster

Postby wytcap » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:31 am

Just got My 11m Element today!!!
Now just need good weather!

Return to “Reviews”