Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Glucosamin & condroitin for elbow pain

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Glucosamin & condroitin for elbow pain

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:59 pm

Hi,
I wanted to know the effect on some of you that took the supplement?
I have also few other questions:

It comes in different concentration, I read on one tread that 4000mg/day is necessary, but looking at the products available 250mg capsule that means 16 caps. a day that's seem a little extreme!
Is that amount necessary or you guys have achived positive results with less?
It also comes one product by itself: Gluco. alone and condroitin alone or as a combo, what is the best way to go?
what web site do you use to order? best prices?

PS: I remember Johnny used that stuff, maby you can fill in.

Thks a lot,

:wink: :wink:

steve s
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby steve s » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:12 pm

I take 750mg twice a day of the plain glucosamin. It has kept my elbows pain free from kiting and racquetball. Glucosamin w/condrioten adds quite a bit to the cost and probably only need it if you have arthritis. "Now" brand has a good reputation and is cheaper than others. Steve

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:27 pm

I thought the elbow pain from kiting and racketball was from tendonitis whereas glucosamine is for cartiledge problems. My doc friend of mine who kites, recommends and takes naproxin for tendonitis.

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:46 pm

I don't take it regularly now as my elbow pain is finally gone--after 7 years. But starting last fall, I took glucosamine sulfate in 1000mg capsules. I took 4 caps once a day-- twice a day to start. I saw relief after 6 weeks and pain free in just a few months. Like I said , it was a seven year ordeal for me. Mine was so bad that i could not put my arm over my guitar to play for more than 5 minutes a day.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:50 pm

I tried the full dose of GlucosamineSulfate/ChondroitinSulfate for quite some time, for my knee pain, with no apparent effect, even though I was taking a full dose of all the other (possibly prerequisite) supplements. For a while I even tried crushing the tablets, as somebody suggested a powder (as in a capsule) was absorbed better.

Later I read that GlucosamineSulfate/ChondroitinSulfate only works in about half the cases.

I then switched to "Joint Advantage", with supposedly mixed, balanced sulfates (much like B vitamins & other supplements work much better in balanced combination with each other) & it seems to be working. I get it from http://www.drdavidwilliams.com

Fabjet1
Frequent Poster

Postby Fabjet1 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:27 am

I'll try it out,

Thks

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:32 am

dt wrote:I thought the elbow pain from kiting and racketball was from tendonitis whereas glucosamine is for cartiledge problems. My doc friend of mine who kites, recommends and takes naproxin for tendonitis.
Can you ask your friend doctor what else does the same thing as Naproxin, or maybe he can tell you the main ingredient.
I have the same doubt, I really don't know what my problem is, is eather tendonitis or a cartiledge problem, I'm guessing tendonitis but not sure. Anyway I'm taking Joint Support from Nature Sunshine, and I'm having an acupuncture therapy twice a week which I recomend a lot, is making me better very fast.

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:40 am

chassan

Naproxen is the actual generic name. It is also call Aleve which costs twice as much but is the same. It is a pain reliever but also reduces inflamation and helps tendinitis that way.

Another help is to not put max stress on the sore area. For example, if your elbow gets sore from pulling the bar for jumping, from now on, don't pull the bar so hard. I used to get it from playing racketball but I stopped getting it when I stopped hitting the ball as hard as I could. I would still hit it fairly hard but not max.

I hope that helps.

Doug

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:55 am

Be careful. NSAIDs (non-steroidal aniti-inflamatory drugs like Aleve) make the pain go away, but they actually make arthritis progress more rapidly.

Fabjet1
Frequent Poster

Postby Fabjet1 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:42 pm

Is it necessary to take 4000mg a day or can we have a positiv effect with less quantity?
Thks

Return to “Kitesurfing”