Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot rpm 2012, is the 12m really a 12m

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Unless your wife or girlfriend kites and can use the 10M i would keep it....
....otherwise sell the 10M and do 12M and 8M set-up
...with the money :cash: from sale of 10 get a 6M

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:58 pm

boyceduke wrote:Hi, guys, I have bought a quiver of 2012 Rpms, so to make sure I am always on the write kite I bought the 8,10,12. I have been out on the 10 and 12 twice each and from my experience can't feel much diff between the two, I had them both out today in 20kts, cross on. Bottom end is very similar indeed infact a bit to similar, the 10m turns a tad faster and the 10m.

I decided to lay them on top off each other to see what the difference in size was, I was shocked with the result...
Good pictures. That shows a clearer picture than the last thread on this topic and I think you clearly have one kite larger than the other. So, I don't see the big complaint. SS had replied on the last thread and commented that they design the kites by feel from one size to the next, not necessarily what the actual fabric area is.

People have an expectation for what a 10 feels like and what a 12 feels like. If you bought either by itself you'd probably be happy, but since you have them both you see they are similar. When you think about it, look on the water on an 11M day and you will see happy kiters of similar weights flying kites from 10 to 12. It does make sense to me that they would feel similar, but I understand your complaint.

It may be too late for you now, but if you'd done some research here beforehand you would have learned that you could put more of a gap in your two larger SS kites. You could have gone 9/12 or 10/14.

Case in point, I had a 6/10/14 Rally quiver and while the 10/14 spread is PERFECT! The 6/10 spread was too large. So I replaced the 6 with a 7.
speedyRider wrote:...

I had a 12m and a 7m in the way but they are out of stock now, so i still havent placed my order. Now i dont know what to do seeing this.
...)
I'd also heard they were temporarily sold out of 12s, but Real kiteboarding shows the 12 in stock. Check there, they usually buy a pretty large inventory of RPMs.

Kanuto
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas Levee, TX, USA
Favorite Beaches: Cancun
Gear: None, looking to buy
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kanuto » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 pm

I agree with Boyceduke that the 12m is undersized, and that is the reason why I am selling mine as well since, at 86Kgs, it is too small when compared with other 12m kites I have/have had.

SpeedyRider, at 75Kg the 12m should be good for you (and spread) but that if you were heavier, I would go with a 14m.

If you are interested, I am also selling mine right now - send me a message if interested - and has been used less than 8 times.

boyceduke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cambersands
Favorite Beaches: el gouna, egypt
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: all sorts

Postby boyceduke » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:49 pm

I am not sure why slingshot dont advertise the dimensions of each kite etc like what north do, at least then you could see the differences between the kites before you buy because it is not always possible to demo first as I have found out at an expensive price.

I now need to buy a larger kite, I dont want the RPM 14m meant to be a bit of a dog (slow etc)

Decision time????? any ideas people, thanks again

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:25 pm

boyceduke wrote:...
I now need to buy a larger kite, I dont want the RPM 14m meant to be a bit of a dog (slow etc)

Decision time????? any ideas people, thanks again
This is also discussed in another current thread. Check it out;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2375233

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 pm

So, I don't see the big complaint. SS had replied on the last thread and commented that they design the kites by feel from one size to the next, not necessarily what the actual fabric area is.

People have an expectation for what a 10 feels like and what a 12 feels like.
Makes total sense but SS should tell their customers this rather than let them waste money on buying kites that to be honest they don't need!! The guy could have brought a 6/8/10 or 6/8/12 and got alot more windrange but unfortunately for all intents and purpose has now only got 8/10 kites :roll: Why do dealers not recommend other sizing combinations considering the 10 and 12 are so similar?

There's no problem with the 10 and 12 being the same if you choose the right kites to go with them e.g. 10/14, 9/12 or 8/12 - but to knowingly let their customers for a second year buy kites which are next to useless (like having 2 kites the same size, pointless) and not advising their customers on their sizing policy so they can can make the most of their money IS JUST CRIMINAL!!

Either that or the RPM is a dog above 10m - hey our 12 turns like a 10 - funny that :lol:

boyceduke
Medium Poster

Postby boyceduke » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Who wants to buy a 12m rpm, haha, think I might buy an ozone zephyr won't have any issues on that, haha

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:22 am

JGTR wrote:
Either that or the RPM is a dog above 10m - hey our 12 turns like a 10 - funny that :lol:

No SS marketing material or even Slingshot supports like myself has ever touted that.. I'm only aware of "1 guy" that does tout a claim like that... But when properly tuned and setting are set you can be pretty dam close.. However, the RPM isn't suppose to be the quickest of the bunch... More park and ride and pass the bar.. Load and Pop needs no speed. :thumb:
Attachments
Christian_Brill_Kiteloop.jpg

boyceduke
Medium Poster

Postby boyceduke » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:34 am

shymac wrote:
JGTR wrote:

No SS marketing material or even Slingshot supports like myself has ever touted that.. I'm only aware of "1 guy" that does tout a claim like that... But when properly tuned and setting are set you can be pretty dam close.. However, the RPM isn't suppose to be the quickest of the bunch... More park and ride and pass the bar.. Load and Pop needs no speed. :thumb:

When the rpm is lit they are a fab kite, excellent top end, build quality, and t new 2012 models looks the dogs nuts

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:50 pm

When the rpm is lit they are a fab kite, excellent top end, build quality, and t new 2012 models looks the dogs nuts
Irrelevant to what the OP was saying - the RPM is a great kite by all accounts but people are buying different sized kites as a quiver only to find that some of them are pretty much the same size and they have spent $1000+ that they didn't need to or could have spent on extending their quiver. When he brought his 8/10/12 his Slingshot dealer should have advised him that the 10 and 12 are very similar and he would be better off with maybe 8/10/14 or 6/8/12 - I thought that was the reason manufacturers and distributors bang on about buying from reputable dealers as you get good advice and sound product knowledge :?:

I can totally understand why he's not happy!

Return to “Kitesurfing”