Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

QR, Spreader bar, Sliding hook, Depower set ups for racing>

Forum for kitesurfers
SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

QR, Spreader bar, Sliding hook, Depower set ups for racing>

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:02 am

There is quite a bit of discussion about boards and fins but not much about the pros and cons regarding different QRs, sliding hooks, shackles etc... that racers use. I am assuming racers are willing to give up some safety (easy to use off the shelf QRs) for added racing specific functionality. I have see some custom depower set ups but that is about it.

Or are racers using stock harness hooks and QRs?

I have not see many pictures or much discussion on how racers set up below the bar.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for more info?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: QR, Spreader bar, Sliding hook, Depower set ups for raci

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:55 am

It looks very simple in this video. Adam just has a Wichard quick release attached to the normal spreader bar hook. You can maybe see it clearest at the very end of the video. Probably with a small ring on the end of the powerline so the ring will come off the Wichard smoothly and easily.

http://vimeo.com/25127199

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:16 pm

ronnie wrote:It looks very simple in this video. Adam just has a Wichard quick release attached to the normal spreader bar hook. You can maybe see it clearest at the very end of the video. Probably with a small ring on the end of the powerline so the ring will come off the Wichard smoothly and easily.

http://vimeo.com/25127199
thanks Ronnie

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gbleck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm rigging up a pari of Clamcleat depower setups right now. Have the Clamcleat vang setups. I'm thinking Ronstan 30 orbit blocks. Don't know if I'm going to rig them 2:1 or 3:1. The nice thing about the 3:1 you can do the section you don't pull on in a leader line. The one thing I can't decide on is 1/4 AmSteel-Blue vs 5/16. For the 3:1 I'm thinking the 1/4 should be plenty thick to grab onto with a knot or two on the tail. Any thoughts on 1/4 amsteel blue?

Jade
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Co2 (Oulskool Low / Medium Aspect C kites) Full Quiver
Cabrinha 5'9 s-quad
D'light Custom 6'2 Thruster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jade » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 pm

I use a sliding bar when wave riding, it gives a lovely flow when carving on a wave, and also makes it much more comfortable and efficient to ride toe side in general.

I tried the sliding bar with a race board several times, and personally didnt like it. initially I was thinking it would be a great to be able to load your front foot or back with a simple flick of your hips, but in reality if the hook slid and thus changing your CoE while reaching or going downwind, or setting up for a gybe. It was enough to upset the board / rail balance tipping me off every time. IMO it became another thing to think about and manage in race, while offering minor benefits.

In the end I wnet back to a standard bar for racing, opting for simplicity and ease of use.

I used a witchard way back in the day, when we where still building and learning our safety systems, It works well-ish, for a while back then.. it was the best choice available. But, from certain angles no mater how hard you tug at it it wont release which is always a possibility in a panic, also occasionally it can get wrapped around your spreader hook thus blocking the gate. Its not a perfect set up. I'd never be going back to it.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:32 pm

It does look like Adam has some kind of mounting for the Wichard that keeps it pointing forward. It does need a tug or push toward its base and that can be difficult to achieve in a small space and doing something like in this picture works but has a risk of accidentally opening it.

Johnny Heineken and Damien Leroy seem to use the stardard Q/R with their kite with a small chickenloop.
Attachments
wich2.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”