Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: The New V-7 Dynabar.

Postby Bille » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 pm

cabron wrote:this is a bit off topic from Dynabar, but anyways;

Tomatkins etc. would this carabiner work just by itself, ...
I started This Topic, and i would be the (("LAST")) person to bash a guy for
making his own stuff !!! I made my own board to learn on and Still use it in
light wind. I started the mods my 08--13M Ozone Edge even though i got
a 2010 same size & brand. I totally changed the QR on my bar to get a longer
reach on my sheeting for my long arms.

I posted this on the the topic at the bottom of the index by --windyway--
Post subject : Make your own sliding spreader bar (like a dynabar)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2375204
Bille wrote:My Dynabar V-7, has a FULL 12 inches of travel, (305mm).

It has a Nice Soft frame that my belly Likes !

It has a Big Hook to attach my chicken loop to.

It's got a Pulley to make the travel Really SMOO00oooth !!

And 321 kiteboarding will sell Ya the V-7 for $87.99 ---

Hardly worth the effort to make your own ; "Especially", if Ya Screw-Up
Ya Could Die !!
http://www.321kiteboarding.com/Dynabar-V7.html

Bille
Seriously -- i can't really see burning the time and money to build a device like the
V-7 when a new one is so cheap ?? !
Add it up for all the stuff Ya need and forget about the time in labor,cause I Like making
stuff Also .

And For the record :
i Still owe (321) for my V-7 till i actually win the bet ; but after using
their device , i have No problems with paying them the Full Retail price for it .
Its Quite well made, i like the 13 inch wide padded spreader Best, doesn't hurt my ribs any
because it's size spreads out the load so well !!

Bille

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm

mike dubs wrote:Look at Wichard they have great rings, shackles etc.

As well as my Dynabar I also have a harness with a spreader bar that has the hook cut off, a dyneema line attached at each end and this shackle on the rope but snapped on the chicken loop.

http://www.wichard.com/rubrique-Quick_r ... 00-ME.html

They have greaty breaking strain too.

mike

Those QR devices "DO NOT WORK WELL" when Sand is added to the mechanism !!

How do i Know ? the top one is the one i used Before i got the V-7.
First thing i would do is blow out the sand Before hooking in ; then wash
it when i get in the water. And your gonna Shit when Ya see the price ;
you can almost get the Entire V-7 for the money.

Actually you CAN have a V-7 and a 6-pk of beer, if Ya purchase this QR from West Marine :
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50047

Bille

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby mike dubs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Billie,

Don't get me wrong, I love my dynabar and have been recommending them to people for ages.

My wichard has given me over 10 yrs of service and still works like new. Plus the chicken loop QR is the main quick release. Plus in the UK 10 yrs ago it cost me £20.

Mike

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 pm

I just got the V-7 and can't waite to try it out.

I set up the larger roller with the rope. The roller is not rolling. Should it be? Does it matter? Is it possible to screw it down too tight? I'm not sure how tight it should be I just don't want it coming loose mid launch. :nono:

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:21 pm

If that didn't make sense, maybe this will clear it up for you.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:06 pm

mike dubs wrote:Billie,

Don't get me wrong, I love my dynabar and have been recommending them to people for ages.

My wichard has given me over 10 yrs of service and still works like new. Plus the chicken loop QR is the main quick release. Plus in the UK 10 yrs ago it cost me £20.

Mike
I would like to see a spreader bar with a QR instead of buying a QR with every control bar. It seems to me this is an area where cost of kite boarding could be cut substantially.. With new bar prices are now > $400 it can add up quickly. Having a QR in the spreader bar also frees kite boarder to change bars without re-familiarizing themselves with a new QR.

It is not really different in function from using a Wichard QR shackle, except I am using a hook designed for kite boarding (I would not argue that is a significant difference). I bought a Slingshot "SureFire" spreader bar, detached the hook and added a shackle ring. The Surefire spreader bar retails for about the same cost as a Wichard QR shackle http://tinyurl.com/6ujv55q although I did buy mine new at a substantial discount. Also, I still need to make my own bar set up with a simple metal ring attached to the depower line.

Constructive criticism welcome

Notes:
1. I just put this together as an example. it is NOT a final working version
2. I want to put two thin nuts together on the end to lock it so it cant unscrew.
3. I would like to add a plastic washer next to the shackle ring. It is probably not necessary, but, I would like to avoid metal to metal wear if possible.
4. It would also be nice to add something like this low friction ring materiel to the shackle ring so the rope slides easily. http://www.antal.it/Inglese/Inglese.htm Go to "Accessories", then go to "Friction rings"

Pros
1. One QR for all bars (assuming you could buy bars without QRs from different manufactures)
2. Spinning hook to untwist front lines
3. Sliding hook.
4. More affordable due to less expensive bars. It is not about spending less money as much as it is about spending the same amount but being able to buy more gear.
5. Less complex bar setups

Cons
1. Not good for unhooked riding. A Surefire spreader bar with the hook attached or similar with a larger hook would work well and still provide spreader bar QR functionality.
2. Does not have 360 degree access to the QR mechanism. I am sure designers could overcome this hurdle.
3. You would need to make your own bar setup with no QR unless manufactures offered this option. this is actually a "Pro" for me because I like making gear.
4. Standing on shore, not hooked in, with the harness in the right position, the hook will whack you in the balls if you drop it.

Here are a couple of pics. The second one is to see the hook in the open position for those not familiar with the SureFire spreader bar hook. Yes, I know my photography skills are second to none.
Attachments
2012-04-19_08-37-40_634.jpg
2012-04-19_08-52-20_480.jpg

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby flyingweasel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
I would like to see a spreader bar with a QR instead of buying a QR with every control bar. It seems to me this is an area where cost of kite boarding could be cut substantially.. With new bar prices are now > $400 it can add up quickly. Having a QR in the spreader bar also frees kite boarder to change bars without re-familiarizing themselves with a new QR.

Constructive criticism welcome

Here are a couple of pics. The second one is to see the hook in the open position for those not familiar with the SureFire spreader bar hook. ...
That's a GOOD idea !!
I once owned the SureFire spreader bar, " until it broke sending my kite along
with the leash attachment into a light-poll in San Diego".

So i had made a bar with a loop instead of a QR which gave me 3 inches
extra travel in sheeting because the plastic covered loop was Way smaller.

All i need to do is Add a donkey-dick to secure it to the V-7 hook
(didn't need it with the SureFire), and i can use the QR on the V-7 cord that's already in place!!!!

I'll get a picture of it today & edit in later, Off to Fly a Paraglider now.

Bille

PS:
--Kazi-- YES it's suppose to roll, (Ya got it Too tight)
Use Locktite in the Female side of the threads then tighten it up till it stops to roll --- then back it
off till it does.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:37 pm

flyingweasel wrote:
Wichard is a brand name. They produce a whole range of chandlery including a variety of QR`s

There are many QR types.
I am familiar with Wichard. I have their catalog and have looked at all of their QR shackles. I picked the one I linked to because it looked like the model that would most closely perform as well as a control bar QR. Some of the other models have been know to jam in certain elements found while kite boarding (sand) and not while sailing.
flyingweasel wrote:Try to be more specific if you want to be more successful at getting your point/opinion across.
i appreciate your input, but, I am not sure what you mean. I think QRs should be integrated into spreader bars instead of control bars. This would save $ and while not standardizing QRs in the industry it would help work around the problems with the lack of standard control bar QRs. My design was just a suggestion for one simple approach using off-the-shelf parts.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby flyingweasel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:46 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”