holes in kite

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

holes in kite

Postby keegster17 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:39 pm

guys I am new to the sport, i mentioned this in another post, but it is a new question. I bought this used kite from a ebayer, advertised kite as no holes rips etc. purchased the kite, everything seemed good. then i blew up kite and noticed a small hole, not a pin hole but slightly bigger, i told him about this and he was fair, and we negotiationed taking a $100 off the price, so i lived with that and just patched the hole, and of course as I was cleaning it found two pin holes of the logo on the kite, very hard to see, but I did find them. question is this common you buy a kite used and the seller describes kites as no holes or rips, and turns out to be a few? Would you be upset? I don't want to sound square, but if you said in the ad, item is in fair condition, there is a chance of potential pin hole I could accept that, however I am new and not sure what is the norm. Am i being unreasonable with being pissed a bit?

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: holes in kite

Postby TommyDuotone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:11 am

Small holes are no biggie and will happen. More important is the crispiness of the material, the stitching on the leading edge and struts, and no abrasions on any high wear areas. Also check the bridals were the pulleys run on for excessive wear. If the kite holds air for a few hours, you should be good. The seller should have been upfront however.

mowaves
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby mowaves » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 am

I vote that yes you are being unreasonable. I don't want to sound to harsh, but seeing as you hardly noticed them, it's perfectly possible the previous owner didn't know about them as a lot of us don't scrub down and examine every inch of our kite very often. I understand he advertised as no rips, but come on, it's really not going to make any difference what so ever...and he gave you a $100 back, you got a deal. I'd compare this to buying a used car advertised as not having any problems and you later find out the dome light doesn't work...Was the seller dishonest when he didn't mention the light?...Used gear is just that, used and there should be an inherent understanding something not critical/obvious may have signs of being used. I'd say buy new if that kind of thing is going to bother you.

So yes, small canopy rips/holes are very common in used kite market, they do not affect kites at all, do not be concerned. Be cautions with leading edge rips/holes/repairs. A small leak in bladder would not be of concern, use it and when there's a windless forecast, take it apart and learn how to fix it.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 am

guys thanks for the feedback, as mentioned as a newbie you don't know, in my mine no holes is no holes, i mean you do spend some good money on these kites. all said based on feedback i will take a chill pill, and not worry to much about it.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:01 am

If the hole is 1 or 2mm clean with alcohol and put a small drop of epoxy glue on it (any good brand epoxy)

If the hole is bigger but less than 1-2cm buy some spinnaker repair tape from marine shop, clean with alcohol, patch with tape, heat with a hair dryer (not too hot or you'll put a bigger hole in your kite! Should not be so hot that it hurts to touch - 5-10 seconds of hair dryer) then rub down forcefully with the back of a spoon. Kite is as good as new.

p.s. 3M scotch tape is fine if you can't find spinnaker tape.

If bigger hole take to professional sail repairer or kite shop.

Info may come handy in future when you put your own holes in!

kitesurfingcollectiv
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, South Africa.
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com

Postby kitesurfingcollectiv » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:43 am

I think it would be the same as any online purchase, if you're not getting what you paid for then there is a problem.

In saying that, I think that you have to use your common sense, the guy you bought it off was reasonable when you told them about the larger hole and gave you money off which they didn't have to do. I think that (as you say the holes are pin pricks) the guy probably didn't even notice so I think (all things being equal) it would be unreasonable to be upset about something that they guy did try to rectify for you.

It's a problem that pops up time and time again - people buy kites off the internet unsighted and they end up being lemons. I think with something as "easily" damaged as a kite (in relative terms) it's important to see the product first hand before spending money on it.

I hope you manage to repair it without too much hassle, it doesn't sound like a big job and kites fly fine with a good patch job so I really wouldn't worry about it.

TKC
http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:34 am

Don't worry about a little hole. But be worried about if the kite fly true and not pull one way. I have seen a few kites that looked great bought used but were garbage as they pulled like a mofo to one side. Buying used that would be my biggest worry if I didn't trust the seller.

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:37 am

Further to my previous post I would ask any seller to show me a video of the kite flying at zenith and back and forth and let go of the bar etc. You could easily see a pulling one way kite that way. Also a video or pics of details on the kite is easy now and should be expected IMO.

Stan

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:32 am

no for sure the seller was 100% backing me on my complaint, so i give him credit for that, he did offer if unsatisfied to send it back, but because he was so helpful I wanted to work with him and come to agreement which we did. however now two more holes, i may just let him know, i know he won't do anything now which is fine, I have tried contacting him on purchasing other stuff but no responding, i probably drove him crazy. lol

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm curious. The pin holes in the canopy, are you sure you're not just seeing holes from sewing? I mean some kites after use might have slightly enlarged holes from the sewing process.

If they are not then did the kite come with a repair kit? Some repair kite have materials to fix stuff like that, and it is easy as a tiny patch.

If it is not I would probably contact the seller again. Kite should be in the condition it was advertised. Just make sure you weren't the one getting the holes in the kite bladder and canopy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”