Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My Flysurfer Speed 3 19m experience as a light weight

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
syuzhak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Chicago, IL
Style: Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed3, Switchblade3 10m, Eh Ripper 9m, Best waroo 7m, Naish Torch 6m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My Flysurfer Speed 3 19m experience as a light weight

Postby syuzhak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Actually the Speed3 12m (and the 21m to a much lesser degree) are pretty good as wavekites. I ride the 12m strapless all the time in waist high waves and 12-15 kts of wind and depending on the wind direction I can go down the line, have the kite drift, and land decent strapless airs.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 pm

syuzhak wrote:Actually the Speed3 12m (and the 21m to a much lesser degree) are pretty good as wavekites. I ride the 12m strapless all the time in waist high waves and 12-15 kts of wind and depending on the wind direction I can go down the line, have the kite drift, and land decent strapless airs.
I ride with him all the time and all he says is true
Syuzhak has mastered any speed3's in waves and is also supa excellent on any tube kites

Practice...practice.....practice and anything is possible
He is so talented because he just loves kitesurfing

:surf: :surf: :surf: :surf: :surf: :surf: :surf: :winner2: :surf: :surf: :surf: :surf: :winner1: :surf: :surf:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:32 am

yes you are right you can ride waves on a speed. but there are way way way way way way better kites than the speed for waves. Even if you have mastered a style in the waves on them. pretty much any other kite you fly will be better.

ps i ride my speed in waves every session because i don't have any other location other than waves!. . . . . . but if i jump on my edge i go ahhh thats better than the speed. if i use my c4 i think dang the speed and the edge are crappola in the waves.... then i jump on my reo and think this kite is made for waves.

gavin feargrieve
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stony Beach, Conrads Beach
Favorite Beaches: Varadero, Cuba
Style: Old School, Wave
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 2 15m, 19m - favorite kites
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer and Cabrihna

Postby gavin feargrieve » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:16 am

The evolution of raceboards has truely changed lightwind kiting. Most people think of getting out in light wind as being the main reason for buying foils, so .....foil or raceboard?

Regarding raceboards, I really enjoy 'em. For someone who really likes the handling and simplicity of an LEI then the raceboard is a solid choice. And, owning a raceboard is like getting into a whole new disciple of the sport and learning something new is fun!

But, I'm also a big foil fan. They get a bad rap because riders go out at the extreme low end expecting a miracle. "It turns slow!" Really? Everything does in 5/6 knots! IMO, with foils you have to invest more time in learning how they're designed/ perform in order to get the most out of them. People less technically minded will likely do better with LEI kites.

I own a few foils (P3 10m, Sp2 15m, Sp2 19m) and have used all the Sp 3 sizes quite a bit. What really surprises me is how little these kites are talked about at the high end. What a blast! The hang time is absolutely amazing AND you will have time to stop and think- am I kiting or paragliding? I've never used a LEI that compares to foils for hangtime and I've tried a lot of kites.
If you live in a place with reasonably steady wind then the foils are a lot of fun powered up and board offs will come easy(ier).

Foil vs Raceboard ?! The debate goes on..............

mrmawalker
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mablethorpe, Cleethorpes, Ainsdale, Talacre
Favorite Beaches: Monta Rota ALGARVE, Sotavento FUERTE, Mablethorpe UK
Style: Buggy n Kitesurf
Gear: Slingshot RPM 2011 8m
Slingshot RPM 2011 10m
Slingshot RPM 2011 12m
Slingshot RPM 2011 14m
Peter Lynn VenomII 16m
Nobile 2011 2HD 134x42
Flexifoil Alpha 144x44
Brand Affiliation: Nobile

Postby mrmawalker » Sun May 31, 2015 3:49 pm

I use my speed3 21m, 15 Lotus and 10 Lotus in waves all the times and they're fine, the 10m works exceptionally well, but the 15 and 21 obv take a lot longer to turn, so you have to think ahead. My 18m Chrono isn't too shabby too in the lighter waves.

Return to “Reviews”