Airline Baggage Weight Experience - pls add yours

Forum for kitesurfers
MCMario
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airline Baggage Weight Experience - pls add yours

Postby MCMario » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 am

My girlfriend and I passed both our Cabrinha Golf bags with Air Canada at no extra charge. All our gear was in the bags.

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby supachip1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:37 am

thai airways free to take 15kgs of golf equipment/kite bag + 20kgs,they dont really seem to care about weight or if its even golf stuff on the thai end too much, i've taken 32 kg suitcase before and they just put a label on saying' heavy' and my bags are always over!
UK (being a ripoff/jobs worth) was different, they wanted to charge me for a set of golf glubs for taking my kite bag..but because i was frequent flyer i get extra luggage allowance so i gear was covered by that.

if you join an airlines airmile/rewards/members clubs you get extra luggage allowances,
thai airways are part of star alliance which includes various other airlines...so you would be covered for extra luggage to heaps of places.

staralliance.com.

p.s its free to join.

denislee
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilha Bela
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Cabrinha X-bow, North Vegas, Slingshot Fuel

Postby denislee » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:28 pm

TAM (Brazil) for national travelers 23kg per person. For international it is more. TAM only weights the luggage, they don't have any policy regarding number of bags, shape, size and/or content.

I made a big bag and packed 1 flydoor, 1 north select, 3 kites and bars (sizes 12, 14 and 18). Packed the bag in such way that the ends of the bag were fatter than the center. When placing this big bag on the scale, it didn't fit, so it touched another place. Bag was under 20 kgs.

airspirit
Rare Poster

Postby airspirit » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Try to take your kite as a carry-on baggage and not as a checked baggage.
Most of the times it is close to the weight limit(6kg) and if it is folded properly it fits all right on the cabin upper locker.
Moreover almost everytime the carry on baggage is not weighted.

dG
Rare Poster

Postby dG » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Emirates gave me a good initial allowance of 30kg down to Cape Town from the UK but the excess charges were insane - it was about $45 per kilo each way if I remember correctly.

From the UK I usually try to fly British Airways or KLM - the basic limits are pretty low but instead of charging the absurd per kg excess prices that most airlines charge you can buy a full extra bag for a pretty reasonable price.

On BA, you get 23kg as standard then it's £32 each way for the first additional 23kg bag (assuming you're on a cheap cattle class seat in the back). Strictly speaking a kite golf bag is outside the permitted dimension limits but I've never had a problem. That means you get a total allowance of 46kg plus hand luggage for just £64 return anywhere in the world which is about the best option I've been able to find for long hauls.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 am

Thai Airways:

- Thailand to Canada and USA: sport bag 119 USD no matter the weight
- Thailand to other international destinations: up to 277cm length 5 kg excess baggage, exceeding 277cm 8 kg excess baggage. To Germany I paid 5x 1550 THB, around 7800 THB, and the bag had 40 kg, 140 cm length

Make sure they always show you a print out on any airline, if they want to charge something else than you researched in the web.
I thought 119 USD, but unfortuntely not to Europe, so checkin told me 8 kg excess charge...then a print out came and I read it...she had no clue about the up to 277 cm and more than 277 cm...so I saw it is only 5 kg !!!

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:48 pm

United Airlines

I recently flew from lower 48 to Maui, which i hear has gotten tough to fly out of with a golf deceiver bag without paying a $150 fee. United allows a "wakeboard" as an extra bag not subject to the size limits, but they specifically say a kiteboard will have an extra $100 fee on top of the extra bag charge. The second bag charge was $35. I put my tt in a single board bag with nothing else in it and paid the $35. I had a printout of the web page describing the rules for a wakeboard, but got no questions leaving home or maui.

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Postby Ulrik » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:30 pm

kitegear is FREE when You fly Virgin Atlantic :
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/tr ... pment.html

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 am

I did West Coast to Maui a few months back. It was $100 each way & I believe under 11 feet and under 50lbs (probably so people can bring SUP's). They were pretty lax about the 50lbs after I forked over the $100. Didn't seem to care if it was 55 or 50 or whatever.

The thing is though, if you looking at paying $100 each way you could probably rent new gear for a week or 5 days for what your paying in baggage fees. Fun to see all the new gear there!!!

JD

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:03 am

The porters at the Maui airport look for Deceiver Bags. Delta Airline Agents will ask you to open your bag to check for golf clubs. The fee is $175 for a kiteboard one way. I had to pay it the last time I went to Maui on the way home. No fee flying to Maui. It made me so mad, that I haven't been back.

I bought a Newind Split Board. I have taken it to Cabarete, Los Angeles, St. Maartin, Texas, Costa Rica, South Padre, TX - never had a fee charged.

Return to “Kitesurfing”