Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Indoor kiteboard Grand Prix

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:04 am

Professional kiteboarders event in artificial wind at the Nokia Amsterdam 2002 Indoor kiteboard Grand Prix

(August 17, 2002)

The Nokia Amsterdam RAI 2002 Grand Prix will be held on 17 August 2002 in Amsterdam's RAI Stadium.

The Nokia Amsterdam 2002 Grand Prix is the first kiteboarding race to be organized in the world using a pool and artificial wind. The reward of the race is € 30,000.

"Nokia is excited to sponsor this extremely exciting and spectacular event, as the values of kiteboarding and Nokia are very similar. kiteboarding is also about freedom, creativity and personality. Kiteboarding is a dynamic, growing and young sport, in which the open, energetic youth can identify with," says Jan van der Ende, Marketing Director of Nokia Nederland B.V.

"Kiteboarding is one of the most spectacular sports I have ever filmed, and, among the kiteboarding events, the indoor category will become the most dynamic and fascinating. X-TRAME Studio set out to organize the race with excitement; realizing this event makes one of our dreams comes true," says Ray Males, Managing Director of X-Trame Studio
Incredibly visual, kiteboarding is a direct and personal challenge to the power of wind and water. Professional kiteboarding pits the world's elite and the wildest forces of nature against each other and against themselves -- in high speed, high action, eco-friendly world-class competition.

The indoor competition is the perfect vehicle to take the kiteboarding spectacle to the people. Indoor combines high-speed racing and spectacular jumping with full-on rock and light shows.

"With very little adjustments, kitebaording can easily be adapted to the limits of an indoor event. The main difference in equipments consists of using shorter lines (~12m) making the sport even more spectacular and extreme" says Marcus Austin, Technical Adviser of the Amsterdam Nokia 2002 event.

14 riders (12 men and 2 women) will compete in the Best Tricks and Extreme Jump at the Amsterdam event. The event will be followed by a spectacular show

jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:14 am

Wow, I wonder how many wind machines they will need to take kiting indoors. Is that may be a hoax?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:21 am

AWESOME !!!!!

I'll be there!

If you have more infos, let us know!

CU

Toby

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:23 am

Kites hate turbulant wind. When they held indoor windsurfing events, it was insane gusty wind. This sounds like a crazy idea. The air will be so turbulant inside that building. I wonder if they tested it first.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:55 am

This message is nonsense. There is no information about a kitebording indoor event. Neither on the website of the exhibitor nor on the site of nokia. There is also no information in the dutch media. Anyway, kitesurfing indoor is a stupid idea.

Chris

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:01 pm

we will see, but cool idea anyway!
maybe the indoor is not really indoor but on a pool on a field with jet turbines?

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:02 pm

can any of you dutch guys tell what 'the amsterdam's RAI stadium' is ?

i don't believe in an indoor kiteboarding thing possible with any existing infrastructure of a building.
you'll need a vast water-area and constant, kiteable wind up to about 20-25m if 12m lines are used.
this is just insane - i'd be there if it happened :wink:

Rainer
Rare Poster

Postby Rainer » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:23 am

... sounds like a BIG, BIG cheat!!!

hollanda
Rare Poster

Postby hollanda » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:05 am

hello over there,
there is no event or what so ever at the RAI 4 kitesurfing. Think off it...kitesurfing with "artificial" wind in a closed enviroment!!!. For more then a week there is little to less wind here in Holland and I think some is having "cold turkey". Don't believe it and spend your time on the water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”