Forum for kitesurfers
robertz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Most stable kite

Postby robertz » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:50 pm

What would be the most stable kite of this moment, I want to buy a new kite and need something very stable in gusts, also I mean a pretty high perfomance kite

anyone can tell me wich and why?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Re: Most stable kite

Postby Dwight » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:03 pm

robertz wrote:What would be the most stable kite of this moment, I want to buy a new kite and need something very stable in gusts, also I mean a pretty high perfomance kite

anyone can tell me wich and why?
Higher performance generally means less stability.

robertz
Rare Poster

Postby robertz » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:06 pm

well, i would like quite high perfomance but definetely a really stable kite, heard the g-arc was really stable (don't know in gusts) something like that, cant't have the best of perfomance and supreme stability but since it's not possible for me too test much kites myself i would like someone else's opinion

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:08 pm

firstly, decide whether you are of the inflatable or ram air variety, if you are ok with rams - G-ARC's (like it needs saying). not bad value for money either (just got a G18)

robertz
Rare Poster

Postby robertz » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:10 pm

im ok with either brand, just not sure if a kite with a non-stable profile (ram air) is good enough in gust, also heard rhinoII was really stable anyone comment on that?

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:17 pm

stable in gusts?? Well my bro was riding his G13 in some severly gusty winds the other day (he got a bit of a spanking) but the kite did not even look close to dropping out of the sky or doing anything unexpected.

Not very technical I know - maybe some of you experienced arc boys could help a bit??

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:28 am

Before you even mentioned the Guerilla I was going to suggest it. It came up very recently under a different subjuct line, at which time I gave this same info:

Two of my own personal experiences with the Guerilla in gusts:

- A guy on a 2002 inflatable (F-One, I think) was underpowered enough to be "working" his kite most of the session, yet he came up to me after we both landed & commented on how he'd been following close behind & downwind of me on one run, when he got hit with a gust so big he nearly lost it, while he noticed I was apparently unaffected. I hadn't even NOTICED any big gusts!

- I was riding in what felt like fairly gusty conditions, but not so bad that it was no longer fun. When I checked the iKitesurf.com chart for the time (after I got home), it had been reading 5 - 25 mph!!!

As for "stability", I've never seen anything else that even comes close, & it's very hard to believe until you experience it: If you have it parked overhead in huge gusts it will fly WAY back behind you (maybe something like 10 METERS!), & then just drift straight back until the lines go tight again. Since it hardly drops at all while drifting back, there's not such a huge pull when the lines go tight. When stopped OR riding, if you give no steering input, it keeps going in the direction it was last headed for a VERY long time (auto-pilot) before slowly going up (auto-zenith).
Last edited by kiteboarder@pacbell.net on Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doofus
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Ozone, ASP, Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: Customer.

Postby doofus » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:16 am

we did this with a g-10 to test it's stability/luff resistance

flying it on the sandbar (huge area, safe as, light winds), we flew it at zenith holding the chicken loop in two hands, pumped the bar up and down like crazy whilst sprinting downwind.

kite just did big flaps and floated back

we just couldn't get it to fall

i've got an 18 and when lazy jumping i can fly it up to zenith to get the boost and not steer it forward at all. just pendulum under it. The landing is often not pretty doing this but the kite just overflies, then drifts back nicely

ooooh look here comes p.m.u to tell you the "truth" :bye: :bye: :bye: :P

mauidragon
Rare Poster

Postby mauidragon » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:41 am

The G arc is the most stable kite, I been flying inflano for two years and I still do I love both type cause they have their own great fun .

robertz
Rare Poster

Postby robertz » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:37 am

I think I will go for the g-arc, what would be a really nice 2 kite quiver, I weigh 85 kg and want with as low wind as possible (but not only cruising and a kite I can hold for very long (maybee 18 and 10 or something)

Return to “Kitesurfing”