Q-power lines, Better or worse?

Forum for kitesurfers
Fabjet1
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fabjet1 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:12 pm

supposed to be stronger, less tangle and stay the same lenght.
What is the real deal?
Anybody using them that can comment, good or bad!
Price about 150$ for big roll...
Thks

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:21 pm

aside from my LWD 169 board, my Qlines are teh best value kitesurf equipment that i have purchased! They REALLY do tangle less and are stiffer and float and are high visibility and strong as hell. Nice to just cut it, make a double figure eight knot for your larkshead and you are done! no sleeving at all. I use extra Qline for hanging heavy clothes out to dry, for shoelace, for a cervical traction unit in my house (im a chiropractor/tinkerer as you can tell) and, in a pinch, I bet I could tow a light car down the road with it. Its a great product and you will be very happy to buy a roll of 500 feet. make sure you get the 600 lb (unless you are making rear lines for an ARC or a 5th line for a sled or a bridal, then you could use the 300 lb stuff)

hope that helps

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:55 pm

There are 2 types of Q powerline, PRO and original. Original still sells for about $120.00 per roll while Pro sells for about $175.00.

The Pro is slightly thinner and stronger. I use the original and would not recommend the Pro because of the high price.

Q powerline is less tangle prone. One benefit not talked about is safety. Q powerline does not tangle around you in the water like other lines. It doesn’t self knot during launching. How many times have you helped a friend launch his kite and found his lines had self knotted? You probably saved your friend from getting hurt. You can safely pull in Q powerline with bare hands during a self rescue. Try that with stock lines! Stock lines would strangle you like an anaconda. Stock type lines should be banned. They are dangerous.

If you are a professional kiteboarder who needs to do 1080 spins in competition, then you can justify those horrible stock lines that self knot. Q powerlines don’t fly with line twists as good as stock lines. If you only do 720 spins, stick with Q Powerline, they are worth the money. They say you can do more spins with Pro Q powerline. Around here Q powerline is cheaper than stock standard kite lines. They are the best deal in kiting. My set lasted 2 years. Stock lines last 1 year for me.

Dwight

jamisdiablo
Rare Poster

Postby jamisdiablo » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:15 am

completely agree, they are worth the little bit extra by far!!!

get two colors and back and front never get confused again, (never say what?) lol

seriously, they are worth every penny, get'em and you'll see! easier to wrap up too!

probably lighter too...? hmmmmmmmm...

scot

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:35 am

Definitly go for them. Match the size of all lines before installing them to your bar.

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:32 am

Either you trust your lines or you dont!

I use stock lines and have never broken one to date(knock on wood)

I have also tried q-line. I find it strong as hell, stiff as hell, and gives you a feel for your kite like it is flying by piano wires and while it may be more tangle resistant, I find that he stuff really really loves itself; I mean, it likes to stick to itslef and it's other lines. This I just couldn't learn to deal with so I stick to stock lines. Maybe though if I was one of the ones who has had one or more bad experiences with stock lines, I might change, but until then, I can honestly say that my kite lines are the only thing in my entire quiver of gear, harness and bars included, that I have never broken...But I do replace periodically, so I am sure I am not taking the cheapest way out!

Johnny

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:40 am

Stock line users usally have a set for every kite. Therfore they see little wear on each set. Q powerline users usually own one set and use them for every kite. Consider this when you hear storries that stock lines last a long time. They don't, if only one set is used exclusively.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:23 pm

Man I guess I better stop rescuing all those guys with their broken Q lines then. I seem to sell alot more stock lines to Q users than Q lines to stock users. Personal preference again but give me my stock lines over Q anytime...snap! Why do Q line users only have one set? Because when their lines break they can just tie a knot in it and keep on sailing......HA.

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:08 pm

as is usually the case Royce makes mucho sense to me in what he says. I never really gave it any though until I read the post above his my Anony"mouse", but after his mentioning it, I find it to be somewhat true, here in my area anyway...that is that the q-line users usually have just the one set of lines to work with. WHY THE HELL IS THIS? Is it really because if one breaks you can just tie it and go? Since it's supposed to be cheaper than stock lines, it should ceratianly be easier to afford more than one set like us 'stock line users' do.

I'm with Royce, it really is a personal preference, but give me my stock line anytime over the Q-line that as I mentioned before really seems to love itself! For me, Q-line is a love hate relationship..I HATE how it sticks to itself.

And stock lines last fine if you take time to take proper care of them. I have a set of lines on one of my old Naish AR-5's in fact, that is the original set of lines that came with the kite when I bought it brand new. That makes this set of lines right around 2 years old or so doesn't it? And yup, you guessed it right, they are still working and have yet to break after 2 years of use.

I do rinse my kitelines, bar and all, in a tub of fresh water after every use(I LIE, I should do it after every use, but once for every 4 or 5 uses really better describes me)...

I do rub my hands the entire length of each line when I set up my kite and walk the lines out. Alot of people will walk out their lines, making sure to untwist and untangle their rear lines and then just leave the front lines to unwind themselves once connected and flying, and this is fine, I do it myself sometimes, but alot of times, I will walk the front lines out too, just to get to rub my hands the entire length of them for inspecting reasons.(I sometimes ride pretty far from shore and I like to know that my lines are in good shape for me)

I sometimes hear people saying "Johnny, what the hell are you doing? You don't have to walk out your front lines!"..but whatever, I have my reasons.

I also try to refrain from carrying my kite in such a manner that any piece of the lines will be dragging on the beach sand. If they are, just roll them up another lap or two around the bar. PEOPLE, I see you all the time doing this and I even see some guys carrying their kites and letting a wingtip or more drag in the sand. HELLO!!! Is this basically not the same as taking a freakin' piece of sandpaper to your kite and or strings? It causes mad amounts of wear in a very short time. Stop doing that!

Alright, I have to get to work now. Sorry for making such a long post. I type pretty fast, so I normally don't realize the posts are this long from my 2 or 3 minutes of thoughts. BUT, I am most usually trying to help out with them, so it's not really an entire waste of time to type 'em up and or for you to read 'em I don't suppose.

Pea's Out!
Johnny

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:01 pm

WHY THE HELL IS THIS?

Because only a fool would buy a complete quiver of kites with lines and bars. That would be a waste of $200 per kite (x 4 kites = $600.00 wasted)

But then again, you probably get your kites at dealer cost. Now wonder it makes sense to you.

A well designed quiver of kites will fly perfect on the same length bar. Some designers have yet to achieve this (Slingshot for example, ouch, sorry Johnny)

Q line takes a different techinque to unwind the lines. They can be shaken out and then they don't stick. They are safer, this can not be disputed. They do not self tangle and attack the rider in the water.

I don't work for anybody. I have no self interest to serve. I am not sponsored by anybody. I will buy whatever I like and turn on those who sell me crap. I only give good advice as I see it.

Dwight

Return to “Kitesurfing”