Forum for kitesurfers
14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: I have had it with the drift in the ocean

Postby 14ToeSide » Mon May 14, 2012 2:05 am

I understand what u mean. I had so much DRIFT today it felt like I was going over the falls at Nagger falls!!!! :desperado:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Mon May 14, 2012 3:40 pm

It sounds to me that your current and your wind are going in the same direction. You lose a lot of power when this happens so you might need a bigger kite or board. All so I tell new people all the time to just ride as much as possible and then walk back upwind. A lot of times our kooks just ride a little bit downwind then walk back upwind with their kites at 12 in the middle of everyone :angryfire: .

I would all so suggest you learn how to trim your kite properly. I'm amazed with how many people there are that do not know how to trim a kite. I'm not talking about new riders either but people that have been kiting for a few years. If your sheeted in too much you will kill your upwind ability.

Just keep trying and you will get it in no time.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:46 pm

Whenever there is wind in the ocean here, we also get current going that same direction. Usually you have to put all of your energy into staying upwind, so if you jump or ride a wave, you wind up a hundred yards down the beach.

Because of this, we always do downwinders when we ride in the ocean. Just set up a car two miles down the beach and enjoy riding the waves and jumping as much as you want as you go downwind!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon May 14, 2012 7:28 pm

i guess you mean "longshore current" which is generated by waves and helped by wind. this can suck the power from your kite and push you down wind at same time. you have to be well powered. or find a better spot.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Wed May 16, 2012 3:27 am

TheJoe wrote: A lot of times our kooks just ride a little bit downwind then walk back upwind with their kites at 12 in the middle of everyone :angryfire: .
so... what else are you supposed to do, swim back upwind? deflate your kite and pump it back up 50 yards up the beach?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed May 16, 2012 4:29 am

dyyylan wrote:
TheJoe wrote: A lot of times our kooks just ride a little bit downwind then walk back upwind with their kites at 12 in the middle of everyone :angryfire: .
so... what else are you supposed to do, swim back upwind? deflate your kite and pump it back up 50 yards up the beach?
its called the walk of shame!... not good enough or not powered enough to go upwind then you are walking back.

kite low at the edge is more ideal that a mobile chicane at the zenith.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed May 16, 2012 4:43 am

Fins. They will make a world of difference. I see many big guys(don't know your weight) that don't want to take the surfboard plunge, use the sectors with those big ass fins. You can get by with a 13m kite in the lighest of winds. Not much you can do but cruise around though. If you are riding in the surf, then I would recommend to get a cheap surfboard that's your size and learn to ride that. So much more fun, especially in the lighter winds. Plus, no more walk of shame. If you decide to go the surfboard route and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Wed May 16, 2012 2:37 pm

+1 for larger fins as Iblocalsurfer says :D
+1 for surfboard directional (quads are drift killers) instead of twin-tip with baby 2 inch fins :D

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Wed May 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Agreeing with iblocalsurfer and SupaEz.

Fought going to directional after miserable experiences with early surf kiteboard and early race board.

But have same conditions of side-on wind, current, and additionally usually significant shore-break - and decreasing SoCal wind - normally 10-14 mph at my "home" beach.

After much reading got the Litewave 6' DV8. Very happy so far. Gets up and goes earlier, using smaller kite, and very comfortable ride. Still need much improvement gybing but it will be my light wind and surf board.

A friend prefers his TT and got 3" fins and definitely also gets him going earlier.

You'll do it - just find out what works for you.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri May 18, 2012 9:13 am

I have a very hard and fast down wind current today in the waves. For the first few minutes i struggle to stay upwind until i got my rythem. Here's what i did.

The current was pulling down wind when the white was surge was pulling back into the sea. So i timed my runs to ride a wave in then run infront of the white wash upwind using the current to crank me higher upwind!. then i'd turn around a wang back out as the next wave pushed in. That way i was getting the wave current which helped my to also drive up wind.

So... take a little time to see how the water is moving. you may be able to work it to your advantage. if i got out of rythem i'd end up going with the current and no being able to go upwind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”