Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

HQ Matrixx

Postby darippah » Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 pm

I just got this kite about a month ago (15M) and really like it a lot. Very easy and quick launch. Tons of fun to fly and very stable. It's my first Foil kite so I Can't compare it to the flysurfers but I do have a great time and really enjoy the hang time (great for learning to perfect double back rolls and front rolls :allbegood: ) Only issue I have is self landing in High Winds. On Sunday it was blowing about 12 kt so I took this kite out.. then it picked up to 20 knots and I had a really hard time self landing (I do want to mention the kite handled fine in 20kt and I'm 185 lbs). I used the Safety Release system but it took about 30 seconds for the kite to come down. During this time the kite lines got tangled and took a few minutes to untangle manually once secured. I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on how to self land in high winds and avoid this issue, and if there's any other tips or pointers for me as a new Foil rider :)

jannik
Medium Poster

Re: HQ Matrixx

Postby jannik » Wed May 16, 2012 11:27 am

Hi,
I have all the Matrixx sizes and there are a few tricks you can try. One thing you should do before you backstall it down is to let some trimline out. Don't be more than half way depowered because then it will be harder to stall the kite. If windy you need to be decisive and really pull that line. Then you will collapse the kite and it will go down fast. I have done this in pretty lit conditions but be aware of your safety and don't open it up in the middle of the powerzone! Of cause it can be too windy to do this. When you have it down and staked you need to pull the trimline a bit to avoid wind catching the trailing edge.

You can also pick a wind shadow to dump it into. If you have some trees or something you should have the kite away from the shadow in the clean wind when approaching. Then you bring it to zenith and pull the break line to dump it into the shadow. The turbulence sucks so keep the kite away until you are ready.

The other day I was in very gusty wind and overpowered on the 9. I didn't plan the landing but I kind of ran in downwind with the kite low (side on conditions) and bar in. That kept it a little deeper in the window without much power and when I got to my stake I pulled the break quickly. It sat down nicely but I don't think they will put that in the book of recommended ways :lol:

If you choose to release then grab the 5th. and hold it low to the ground. That should get it down a little faster. One trick I've never tried is something I've read in a Flysurfer thread once. You can put the kite low and then release while you walk towards the side of the window where the kite is/was. The kite will drift back into the window while falling down. That should get the kite onto the ground quickly.

Hope this helps.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster

Postby darippah » Wed May 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks for your response Jannik, very helpful. Regarding the Ground stake, I am usually on Sand and am not sure which ground stake to get. First of all, do Ground Stakes work in sand? and do I need to get a spiral ground stake or is a straight one okay?

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Go see kite buddy for the stake, I recomend you use 2. For thé landing, try the kite low on thé side and pull the backlines, the kite will have to travel less in thé windwindow. FS has many videos and look for FS selflanding in High Winds, there are some on youtube.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster

Postby darippah » Wed May 16, 2012 9:57 pm

The Kite Buddy seems way overpriced for a stake (for a foil). I'm thinking about getting a $2 straight Tent Stake, or a $8 Spiral pet stake such as this one : http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Stake-Spi ... 826&sr=8-1

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Wed May 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Consider a sandbag as backup with a leash to your safety line. If the stake ever fails, it would slow things down at least. Easy too.

The foils are so easy to self launch, I guess the self landing is a bit of a tradeoff, in that you need to learn some technique.

As for the backstall landings, they work, but you have to commit.

Another idea, depending on your location...If you can, bring a long pole and hammer it into the ground. Backstall in front of front of the pole (I guess a car would work too), then run toward the kite, allowing the kite to wrap around the pole like this:
This pole was already conveniently there, but you get the idea.
(Oh, and yes, this is landed edge down, not back stalled. You can land it that way on snow and let it drift into the centre of the wind window without hurting the kite fabric).

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Thu May 17, 2012 1:01 am

Yeah that pic is classic :D
I use a sand bag with a carabina on sandy beaches. If you have a pole, drift wood, or other you can put your leash around the object and through cl+break.
Today on the 15, overpowered, with an angry cloud chasing my ass I thought I'd better get the kite down asap. I opted for the runnning in version again. It works great. I was far from my stake though so I grabed it by the break only which made it hover 20 cm above ground. Walked to a near by waterpost and fixed it with the leash.

Chris-HQ-Kites
Rare Poster
Local Beach: OBX - Outer Banks of North Carolina
Style: Water, wheels and snow
Gear: HQ Neo
Brand Affiliation: HQ Powerkites

Postby Chris-HQ-Kites » Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 pm

To self land in high winds I will fly the kite to edge of the window, close to the ground, as if you are landing to someone. With kite near the ground, release the safety and walk upwind. The kite does not have far to fall before landing. Walking upwind will minimize kite tumbling toward the center of the window. Then I walk the 5th line to the kite. Hope this helps.

mmunzer
Frequent Poster

Postby mmunzer » Fri May 18, 2012 6:26 pm

I haven't tried the Matrixx, but for self landing I have a tip which I wonder if others have tried. When selflanding a foil, I am usually alone and don't have a stake at hand. The other day I tried something which actually worked surprisingly well. I took off my harness and buried it in the sand while the kite was on the 5th. A buried harness is much better than a stake.

Another idea that I friend of mine had was that he took a piece of plywood 1sqfoot for example and put a hole in the middle and a rope with a carabiner. He then digs the plate down into the sand at the start of his session. He can then attach the kite to the rope after his session. The flat plate in the sand is much better than a stake which easily comes out in normal sand.

/Marc

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 19, 2012 12:34 am

Yeah that works - sometimes just taking off the harness is enough.

What I do is backstall the kite, unhook then walk hand-over-hand up the lines until I can either grab a tip or the kite is pulling too much, then I just grab on side of lines and let the kite flag. I've done this when over-powered without issues.

I prefer getting an assisted landing though - less wear and tear on the kite ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”