All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Always lines "on" on all your kites ??
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Supa Z
Yes that would be fun.
I'll contact you should I come to your side of the planet.
Rgds
Nico

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Sounds good Nico
Last night i had fast session before dinner (30 min)
Got my 12M "pumped and up" in less than 4 minutes

While i was out i watched a friend of mine (who has only one bar) set-up
Took off lines/bar from his 9M (from late night sesh yesterday that he left attached)

The whole production to switch lines/bar to his14M took the whole time of my session !!!

Oh well what can i say......(he makes "plenty" of money :cash: "yet" insist to have only one bar???)
Also he insists that his 2008 Rebels are still good (they are warped like tarps)
Some kiters see their kites like underwear.....they only buy new ones when they disintegrate :o

To each each own i guess :thumb:

................................... :surf: :sun: ..............................................................................................

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

As an Optician for over 25 years it is in my nature to measure and calculate on a daily basis......
Patients center pupils positions....frames sizes...optical lenses powers,curves,thicknesses etc....

So today it has been 13 years 3 months that i started kiting (Feb 25 1999)
And i have some interesting numbers (i think)

To be conservative let's say on a 30 day month i kited 15 days /month since beginning
And i go out on average for 1.5 hrs at the time
With lines always "on" i can get on the water 3 minutes faster than anyone with lines "off"

13.25 years= 159 months x 30= 4770 days divide by 2= 2385 times out (sessions)

Save 3 minutes per session= 7155 minutes divide by 60= 119.25 hours more of kiting

119.25 divide by 1.5hr session= "I went out kiting 79 more times"

Everyone wants to kite more.......well that is my way of doing it :thumb:

.......... :thanx: for those who care and are willing to try :D
:sorry: to all others who are over it with this topic :D

..................................................... :surf: :sun: ..........................................................

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

EZ, I am going to try and leave the lines attached. I will let you know how it goes... It's a pain in the Tailola to re-do the lines every time.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 pm 
Medium Poster

to each his own, i suppose.

I have 3 kites and 3 bars, but 1 bar has 23m lines and the other 2 have 20m and 19m lines and i use all 3 bars with all 3 kites depending on the conditions. I also rig the same bar/same kite differently most of the times (that's why pigtails come with several knots) so for me i don't see any benefit in leaving the lines attached.

Plus i very much doubt any of these packing/unpacking methods would work when it's blowing 35knots+ on the beach like it often does here in Guincho.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Al_Kiter wrote:
to each his own, i suppose.

Plus i very much doubt any of these packing/unpacking methods would work when it's blowing 35knots+ on the beach like it often does here in Guincho.

Do not suppose......you are 100% correct.... to each his own :thumb:

For me when at the beach with blowing sand in 35 knots+ self-launching my 6 rebel is SupaEZ

Thank you for your reply...................... :surf: :sun: .....................................

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

The wind strength will not affect the packing and unpacking of your connected bar/kite.
The stronger the wind the more caution will be required for launching, but this is also true for unattached lines.
Nico

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:17 pm 
Frequent Poster

SupaEZ wrote:
Same system works for me for the past 13 years
Right now 6 tube kites......19/17/12/10/8/6......zero removal of lines EVER

My motto: If you can "afford :cash: to kite" you can afford complete set ups

But that's just me........maybe :party1: :surf: :sun: ..................................

Hi there,

I made a video about the velcro bar holders on the LF kites...you can do the same on other kites but you got to insure that the bar does not roll = wrapped lines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p7bwKdg ... re=mh_lolz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Supaez,, regarding your method of launch with lines permanently attached... won't the wind cause the LE edge to bend or kink in places as you're inflating and running out your lines? The kite will want to keep it's shape in spite of the wind trying to flatten it out kinda thing... ie with the up wind wing tip being pinned down with sand the down wind wing tip will be left to flop around in the wind.

Also .. because of the way the kite is situated relative to the wind won't you need a quite a bit of sand in higher winds, more so than with the traditional weighted wing tip launch technique?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

frankm1960 wrote:
Supaez,, regarding your method of launch with lines permanently attached... won't the wind cause the LE edge to bend or kink in places as you're inflating and running out your lines? The kite will want to keep it's shape in spite of the wind trying to flatten it out kinda thing... ie with the up wind wing tip being pinned down with sand the down wind wing tip will be left to flop around in the wind.

Also .. because of the way the kite is situated relative to the wind won't you need a quite a bit of sand in higher winds, more so than with the traditional weighted wing tip launch technique?

Thanks for the question......and i will reply soon i promise :D
The 5pm sea breeze just kicked in and i need to get a sesh before dinner (this is 3rd day in a row)
Air temp 84..water temp 82.4...wind SE 16 mph (140 degrees)....waves 2-3ft with "no drift" :P

........................... :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................................

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next