Forum for kitesurfers
newind
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: is equal for all?

Postby newind » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:15 pm

lobodomar wrote:
tautologies wrote:If you say you do not want to feel like meat well, just eat chips and eat candy and most people will treat you like you are fat??
Ok that was beyond my comprehension but it does sound funny :D

My point is that we feel like pieces of meat when capitalism is predatory - should not have to necessarily be that way. And big companies gaining market share at the expense of rules and restrictions, rather than customer preference, seems pretty predatory to me.

Rules and restrictions lobbied by them which choke competition. One might argue that big brands don't mind competing with a small fish like Newind, but I bet they mind competing with many Newind-likes spread across the globe.
did you downtown!

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider
Been thanked: 0

Postby ktouhey » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:24 pm

tautologies wrote:Another drawback for the baox rule is that bigger riders have a disadvantage. Oh well.
I disagree. I am 6'6" 240 lbs and we just had a race day here yesterday on 17m's and 18m's in light wind. I didn't feel I had a disadvantage. I hadn't even registered my largest board (I have different 2 production boards).

Also Bernie is 200+lbs and is the fastest guy in light wind right now.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 pm

ktouhey wrote:
tautologies wrote:Another drawback for the baox rule is that bigger riders have a disadvantage. Oh well.
I disagree. I am 6'6" 240 lbs and we just had a race day here yesterday on 17m's and 18m's in light wind. I didn't feel I had a disadvantage. I hadn't even registered my largest board (I have different 2 production boards).

Also Bernie is 200+lbs and is the fastest guy in light wind right now.
That is great to hear. I was talking with a eindsurfer who said that. I guess if your weight is muscle tissue you're not so bad off but how about super light winds?

I generally support the box rule but understand it creates problems for smaller producers...that said most sports have rules on what gear they can use....

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 pm

The box rule does not create problems for small producers.
What does create problems is the registered production boards rule.

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 pm

tautologies wrote: That is great to hear. I was talking with a eindsurfer who said that. I guess if your weight is muscle tissue you're not so bad off but how about super light winds?
Super light winds: comfortable down to about 6 knots. Anything less and it's a game of keeping the kite in the sky, but that is the case for anyone big or small.

Regarding muscle tissue - this is sport. Sorry but if one's weight isn't muscle tissue then one shouldn't be expecting to be truly competitive. I say that having been on both sides of that coin, and working hard to stay on the better side. Athletic performance isn't meant to be easy.
tautologies wrote: I generally support the box rule but understand it creates problems for smaller producers...that said most sports have rules on what gear they can use....
The reality is that the box rule is setup for competitors, and for political reason; not for producers. I'm not saying I like or don't like it, just that this is how it is.
It's also pretty much set in stone now that we're an olympic sport, and probably couldn't move back to an open box anyways, so what's the point in debating it.
Want to be a successful board producer? Well - just like any other business, there are a set of challenges and associated risk. The guidelines are already outlined. I definitely empathize with the small guys wanting to give it a go, but instead of trying to change the rules (from the outside no less), why not try to best work within them to accomplish your goals. If you truly believe you can make a fast shape, then get a few R&D riders, design it, prove on your local circuit that it can beat known fast boards then make 20 of them, take orders and get the stamp. If you aren't confident you can do that then what is there to gain anyways?

I read about lots of people not being able to get boards. Yes, availability is a problem. but this isn't a result of the rules per se. It is simply due to the fact that the rules are new, and that racing is small. it'll work itself out with some time. The are plenty of very fast boards out there that ARE available quickly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”