Medium Poster
Local Beach: COCOA BEACH
Gear: NAISH, CABRINHA
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New to forum, help please

Postby MUDSUX » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 pm

SupaEZ wrote:.......Please learn about the wind and why it is windy on that particular day.
Find out what causes "it" as you set-up your gear to go out
Get familiar with onshore,side onshore,side shore,side offshore and offshore type winds

Learn to anticipate the wind picking up or dying out
Become a weatherman to anticipate everything ....learn to understand and :heartface: isobars

Check the radar for approaching storms for possible 180 degrees windshifts before you go out

Safety for you and others is important......."staying out of trouble just as important"

Come in BEFORE danger hits.....

Most people who put themselves in danger usually stay on the water and extra 5-10 minutes

Have a constant 360 degrees watch on the skies,clouds and listen for thunder,look for lightning

Practice on land letting "go" the bar....and quick releasing many times to see how fast you can do it

............. :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................................

Dude just give SupaEZ the $1250 now for this :) You may not realize it now but this advice is worth it's weight in gold!

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up

Postby redman333 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 pm

SupaEZ wrote:Hello redman333...you sure had lots of replies since june 1st.... it is a hot topic for many of us

My questions are once you have your 4th july weekend "go at it".......

Do you live close to kitable water? Or is it a long drive?

How often do you think you can practice what you have learned ? (before you forget it)

If you work all week do you have time for a session after or before work almost every day?

Will it be weekends only to practice? (52 times to 104 times a year = best scenario)

You see....... practicing a lot..... "and correctly" is what it takes....

Please learn about the wind and why it is windy on that particular day.
Find out what causes "it" as you set-up your gear to go out
Get familiar with onshore,side onshore,side shore,side offshore and offshore type winds

Learn to anticipate the wind picking up or dying out
Become a weatherman to anticipate everything ....learn to understand and :heartface: isobars

Check the radar for approaching storms for possible 180 degrees windshifts before you go out

Safety for you and others is important......."staying out of trouble just as important"

Come in BEFORE danger hits.....

Most people who put themselves in danger usually stay on the water and extra 5-10 minutes

Have a constant 360 degrees watch on the skies,clouds and listen for thunder,look for lightning

Practice on land letting "go" the bar....and quick releasing many times to see how fast you can do it

............. :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................................
I don't really live too close to the OBX, it takes about 5 hours to get there. I usually go out to wrightsville beach which is where all the local riders stay. I go there just about every weekend. They all say that a 12m kite will be just right there with few exceptions.

I'd say I would be able to ride about 3 weekends out of the month. I do understand the wind some, that's what's fairly new to me. Move been studying it some lately though. I understand now the directions the winds take and what winds are better to ride in and why buti don't know why those winds are there except for the different hurricanes and tropical storms which I've already known about being on the coast and all.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Ok I have been wandering around that ikitesurfnwebsite and it's great. Tell me if my plan is wrong or if in the right direction.

I have called around to a few places in the OBX for lessons and I think kitty hawk kites is going to get my business they have the longest lessons at 6 hours for the same price as most of the others. Also I found tht real has their own trainer kite for $119 that looks ok. So I can get that. Them I found quite a few 12m kites on ikitesurf for really good prices. I figure I can buy the kite used and the board, and harness new since the kite will probably take the biggest abuse.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 am

redman333 wrote:Ok I have been wandering around that ikitesurfnwebsite and it's great. Tell me if my plan is wrong or if in the right direction.

I have called around to a few places in the OBX for lessons and I think kitty hawk kites is going to get my business they have the longest lessons at 6 hours for the same price as most of the others. Also I found tht real has their own trainer kite for $119 that looks ok. So I can get that. Them I found quite a few 12m kites on ikitesurf for really good prices. I figure I can buy the kite used and the board, and harness new since the kite will probably take the biggest abuse.
New boards are very expensive and twintips haven't changed that much in the last few years. I would look for last year's demo model if you can find one. Buy a decent board like a North X-Ride. Get a GoJoe, you will save a lot of session time and maybe the board. Buy as much as you can at the school, they may even have used kites at a price close to the ikitesurf classifieds. If it's a good school supporting them will be worth it and make your start in kiteboarding easier.
Don't forget a helmet and life vest.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:07 am

William Munney wrote:
redman333 wrote:Ok I have been wandering around that ikitesurfnwebsite and it's great. Tell me if my plan is wrong or if in the right direction.

New boards are very expensive and twintips haven't changed that much in the last few years. I would look for last year's demo model if you can find one. Buy a decent board like a North X-Ride. Get a GoJoe, you will save a lot of session time and maybe the board. Buy as much as you can at the school, they may even have used kites at a price close to the ikitesurf classifieds. If it's a good school supporting them will be worth it and make your start in kiteboarding easier.
Don't forget a helmet and life vest.
I'm starting to get confined here. Now since I'm not going to buy new and take the advice from you guys I started to search around for used gear and kites.m I found a 2007 North rebel 12m for $300 and a new bar from the same guy for another $200. So $500 for the kite and bar.

Now I look for new boards since I'm thinking they won't get beat up and I found a 2011 liquid force influence for $400 with straps. Same thinking on the harness, I found a new Dakine pyro harness for $230. My total now is $1130. I can get the whole setup from real for $1500 brand new. Am I missing anything. That's only a savings of $370. The only thing I would be buying used really would be the kite and control bar. Should I be thinking different or should I just go ahead and pick up the whole package from real.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:27 am

Forget about 2007 rebel and 2007 bar by north......not a good deal....outdated stuff IMO

Rebels got much better in 2010

If you have money (i think you do) do not buy older than 2010 no matter what

This applies to kite/bar/board/harness.........keep looking...do your homework

Also check Northwestkiteboarding classifieds ads

You do not want to show up at a kite spot with 2007 gear

Please spend a few more hundreds dollars for each items

Personally if i was to sell my 12M Rebel 201 very good condition with 2011 bar
It would go for around $850.00........but it is not for sale...sorry

................... :surf: :sun: ................................................................

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:28 am

"My Rebel is 2011"

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:35 am

SupaEZ wrote:Forget about 2007 rebel and 2007 bar by north......not a good deal....outdated stuff IMO

Rebels got much better in 2010

If you have money (i think you do) do not buy older than 2010 no matter what

This applies to kite/bar/board/harness.........keep looking...do your homework

Also check Northwestkiteboarding classifieds ads

You do not want to show up at a kite spot with 2007 gear

Please spend a few more hundreds dollars for each items

Personally if i was to sell my 12M Rebel 201 very good condition with 2011 bar
It would go for around $850.00........but it is not for sale...sorry

................... :surf: :sun: ................................................................
Thanks that's good to know

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:26 am

I'm with Supa - get newer. I think kites like the Slingshot REV II from 2009 and kites like the Ozone Instinct in '09/'10 were great. And any kites later are just generally better. Also 2010 or 2011 Dakine Pyro harness is great and cheaper if you find it. For a board go big, you need flotation in the beginning. Like Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck or Spleene Door, any of these from '08 or newer. Each could become your light wind board for the future. Generally mid 140's x mid 40'd or better IMO... For kite get a lot of depower...

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Please redman333 if you do not mind..let me know your weight and height

I volunteer to be your personal shopper :D

I will be glad to take a look at lot of good used gear out there available in continental US

No brand in particular will be suggested....just good stuff (kite/board) for your body type
...to make your learning curve easier and safe

................................ :surf: :sun: .......................................................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”