Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

out for 3 weeks :(

Forum for kitesurfers
MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: out for 3 weeks :(

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Oh, I suppose I should include the ankle that's been sore for a few months; leaning forward like you're doing a calf stretch is painful if I move to quickly - most of the time it's ok though. Really should get around to seeing the doctor I guess!

you really should , i'm always hesitant to go doc , right now my big right toe has felt sprained for 3 weeks and not getting better , my friend who's a doctor in training looked at it yesterday and thinking it was broken and isnt healing back properly :S:S :o

i was planning to rest for a month anyway , but all this 25-30 knot wind daily is killing me :( , and i found the most epic new spot to kite yesterday while on a site visit for work ...

whitehouse , Jamaica .. was blowing 25-30 knots :

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:22 pm

serious question !

from experience, does applying white vinegar immediately to sea urchins in your feet etc. really get it out or dissolve it ?

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:32 pm

A helluva good learning lesson is available for those screwing around in the surf when the kite barely stays up.

I was outside the impact zone .. kite fell just inside .. it caught a wave while I was attempting to get clear of the spaghetti. I had to swim in, gather my C'hit and drive 30 miles to the ER. Lesson learned.

Jim

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:37 am

Yeah that's a point. Sigh ...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Toby wrote:Few cuts here and there...mainly from kick flipping and throwing the board.

But most of the time soar muscles ;-)
and this is what happens to your cut if you don't disinfect your wound...grounded !!!
Attachments
Foto.JPG
Foto.JPG (101.4 KiB) Viewed 2013 times

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:50 pm

MattyRossJa wrote:from experience, does applying white vinegar immediately to sea urchins in your feet etc. really get it out or dissolve it ?
Yes, but you have to be a bit patient, it's not a one-minute cure. Sea urchin spines are almost completely made from calcium. Just like vinegar will dissolve calcium buildup in a coffeemaker or in a showerhead, vinegar will dissolve sea urchin spines embedded in your skin.

Soak the area in a bowl of pure vinegar for as long as you have the patience for (half an hour or more). You will notice an effect within 20-30 minutes. Repeat once or twice a day, and the last of the urchin spines will be almost completely gone after 5-7 days.

If the sea urchin spine is embedded in an area that is awkward to soak in a bowl, do this: Before you go to sleep, fold up a piece of cloth or cotton compress and and soak it in vinegar. Place this over the affected area, put a layer of plastic on the outside, and seal this against your skin using tape. The vinegar solution will then be working on dissolving the spines while you sleep.

The vinegar might not be able to reach the most deeply embedded sections of urchin spine. However, those are usually quite thin and will normally dissolve by themselves eventually.

Yes, I'm talking from experience here. Anyhow, vinegar treatments for sea urchin spines is in fact described in the Merck Manual - this is old established medical practice.

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Saami wrote:
MattyRossJa wrote:from experience, does applying white vinegar immediately to sea urchins in your feet etc. really get it out or dissolve it ?
Yes, but you have to be a bit patient, it's not a one-minute cure. Sea urchin spines are almost completely made from calcium. Just like vinegar will dissolve calcium buildup in a coffeemaker or in a showerhead, vinegar will dissolve sea urchin spines embedded in your skin.

Soak the area in a bowl of pure vinegar for as long as you have the patience for (half an hour or more). You will notice an effect within 20-30 minutes. Repeat once or twice a day, and the last of the urchin spines will be almost completely gone after 5-7 days.

If the sea urchin spine is embedded in an area that is awkward to soak in a bowl, do this: Before you go to sleep, fold up a piece of cloth or cotton compress and and soak it in vinegar. Place this over the affected area, put a layer of plastic on the outside, and seal this against your skin using tape. The vinegar solution will then be working on dissolving the spines while you sleep.

The vinegar might not be able to reach the most deeply embedded sections of urchin spine. However, those are usually quite thin and will normally dissolve by themselves eventually.

Yes, I'm talking from experience here. Anyhow, vinegar treatments for sea urchin spines is in fact described in the Merck Manual - this is old established medical practice.

ok sweet man thanks , i tried this once on my hand , but after 45 mins of soaking it looked like my entire hand was about to dissolve away lol

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Toby wrote:
Toby wrote:Few cuts here and there...mainly from kick flipping and throwing the board.

But most of the time soar muscles ;-)
and this is what happens to your cut if you don't disinfect your wound...grounded !!!
gross man ! that's your ankle ?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:38 pm

looks like it, no? :naughty:

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:16 pm

The worst thing I've hurt is my pride :o

One of those days where one of your mates has a Go Pro set up on the beach and you just can not land anything or even boost very well :(

Nasty looking injurys guys, hope the heal well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”