4:1 depower mod

Forum for kitesurfers
gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 4:1 depower mod

Postby gbleck » Mon May 07, 2012 4:48 pm

The polyester sleeved line is a total custom job I did mostly because I didn't have any 1/8th or larger on had when I broke that line. I had some smaller diameter amsteel and the red single braid poly so I ran the small diameter amsteel through the poly to give it something to chafe on. It runs nice against the hand and hasn't chafed much. The amsteel is so strong even in the smaller diameter it's strong enough as long as it's chafe free.

wdric
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wdric » Mon May 28, 2012 11:52 am

So when these depower or sheeting mods are done, is the "throw" increased?
EG is there increased depower/power achieved by lengthening the available depower from the standard manufacture.
Obviously not increased to the point of having the kite fly inefficiently or stall.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Mon May 28, 2012 9:18 pm

On the flysurfer no it's around the same ammount but on my cab IDS bar I made it larger. Havn't had a chance to try out the IDS bar mod in heigh wind.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

wdric, when doing these mods you have the option to make your throw as long as you like it but throw is not really the objective of this mod and neither is increased de-power of the kite. most productions setups already have their de-power systems setup so you can de-power the kite to the point where it doesn't fly that well anymore.

This mod is specificaly for using a raceboard to get the right stance and keep you stance no matter what the wind does. NO you will get absolutely no benefit out of this on any other board.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Wed May 30, 2012 4:26 am

stefaans wrote:wdric, when doing these mods you have the option to make your throw as long as you like it but throw is not really the objective of this mod and neither is increased de-power of the kite. most productions setups already have their de-power systems setup so you can de-power the kite to the point where it doesn't fly that well anymore.

This mod is specificaly for using a raceboard to get the right stance and keep you stance no matter what the wind does. NO you will get absolutely no benefit out of this on any other board.
So I take it you guys use the depower strap like sheet for a sail - probably only cleating when you tack?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Had to replace my depower line for my North bar, so I decided to get an extra long one and make a setup like this. It's set up 2:1. I tried it out yesterday on my Dyno 18m in about 10 knots of wind, and I just couldn't handle the load in 2:1 mode. Are most people using 2:1, 3:1, or 4:1?

Also, I'm using the stock North cleat. The grooves and anlge make it really difficult to uncleat (as it's probably supposed to be for most riders), so I'll have to pick up another cleat. What model cleats and blocks are people using?

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:35 pm

We(windydevil.com) sell these bars and through trial and error of course came up with what we think is the best solution and its very simple. We use 60cm Ocean Rodeo bars to start. has a 22m+ 3m extension lineset.
We add a Ozone Cleat CL-826-11AN which includes the boddy kit to feed rope through. The cleat is available but the boddy kit doesn't seem to be available so we source these from England somewhere. Ozone US might have some not sure.

We use Ronstan pully's to create the 4:1

We then add 11 feet of double braided 1/4" line which we eye splice to one of the pully's.

That's basically it. very time consuming but makes for a very nice very clean race bar with a smooth de-power.

cleat kit is about $28
http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_d ... theid2=180
Ronstan pully about $15 each
rope is about $1.50 pf

complete built bar we sell for $350.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:29 pm

stefaans wrote:We(windydevil.com) sell these bars and through trial and error of course came up with what we think is the best solution and its very simple.
Was there supposed to be a picture? I don't think it came through.

Is it $350 on top of the cost of the bar or $350 total? I didn't see this bar as an option on your website.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:23 pm

sorry no there was no picture I added a link to what the cleats look like.
We have only been selling the bar locally so haven't bothered with pictures etc. Don't think there is much racing outside of Sand Francisco.

The bar is $350 total. yeah i know just a basic bar these days are $450 but we got a deal on a limited amount of bars we can offer to everybody and by the time we run out you would hope kite companies have caught on and can offer something similar

Return to “Kitesurfing”