Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Open wound and kiting...what works?

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Ok, so here I am in Egypt and waiting for a 2cm in diameter open wound to heal.
But, I need to kite to train...

What can I do to go kiting and not make it worse?

Remember, I am in Egypt with limited access to whatever you suggest ;-)

Thanks
Toby

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Open wound and kiting...what works?

Postby WildDuke » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:14 am

Where is the wound? I assume on the bottom of your foot somewhere but on heel, middle of foot or toe area? I sliced open a section in my middle foot at the end of last year and I managed to keep kiting.

I tried heaps of bandaids, etc, but I found that elastoplast tape in a pharmacy. It's a brown cloth type tape that is very sticky. I would put a clean cotton type pad that has plastic on my cut, then I would strap it up with the elastoplast tape. And then I wore booties just to provided extra cushioning and to prevent sand from getting in the cut. You have to remove the tape at night and I would apply an antibiotic powder. The powder would dry it up very quickly and it eventually healed. Unfortunately it will still hurt.

I don't think water is bad for it, you just need to keep the sand out of it so it doesn't get infected. All the best with that! :cry:

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 am

i wonder if covering the wound in petroleum jelly would help get out water ?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:01 am

If it is 2 cm in DIAMETER it might need stitches.

If not how about cleaning it thoroughly with eye lens water, then put some anti bacteria stuff on...dry it up and glue it.

Here people gets all kind of infections from wounds in water..I've been lucky so far since I pretty much always have a wound.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:06 am

Super glue will work great to close the wound.

Keep close tabs on it- if at any time the wound begins to get red and !exceptionally painful! and especially if you see the redness progressing beyond the wound margins - don't delay get to a hospital right away.
Last edited by consumer on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

mojorisin
Rare Poster

Postby mojorisin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:08 am

NJOY
Medium Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: gear

Postby NJOY » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:09 am

WildDuke wrote:Where is the wound? I assume on the bottom of your foot somewhere but on heel, middle of foot or toe area? I sliced open a section in my middle foot at the end of last year and I managed to keep kiting.

I tried heaps of bandaids, etc, but I found that elastoplast tape in a pharmacy. It's a brown cloth type tape that is very sticky. I would put a clean cotton type pad that has plastic on my cut, then I would strap it up with the elastoplast tape. And then I wore booties just to provided extra cushioning and to prevent sand from getting in the cut. You have to remove the tape at night and I would apply an antibiotic powder. The powder would dry it up very quickly and it eventually healed. Unfortunately it will still hurt.

I don't think water is bad for it, you just need to keep the sand out of it so it doesn't get infected. All the best with that! :cry:
This is a good suggestion. Clean the wound very thoroughly, if you have not done so already. If there is sand and crap in it, use some hydrogen peroxide to bubble is out. Otherwise soap and water will be ok but definitely put antibiotic ointment in it before applying a dressing. Covering it is best to keep sand and also bacteria out of the wound. There is stuff in some waters, in some countries the septic system spill out into the sea. If you have access to a pharmacy, a tegaderm dressing or a clear air occlusive dressing works nice. Dude, you can kite all day with one of those. If not just cover it well and change it daily. Signs of infection are: redness, inflammation, foul drainage and fever. ( I am a nurse BTW.)

Hope this helps!
Gina

NJOY
Medium Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: gear

Postby NJOY » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:20 am

tautologies wrote:If it is 2 cm in DIAMETER it might need stitches.

If not how about cleaning it thoroughly with eye lens water, then put some anti bacteria stuff on...dry it up and glue it.

Here people gets all kind of infections from wounds in water..I've been lucky so far since I pretty much always have a wound.
Yes, it may need stitches. You need a tetanus vaccine I think every 10 yrs. if you haven't had one recently. I have used "butterfly" dressings over wounds that were not quite big enough for stitches which may work if you have access to a pharmacy or medical supply store. I would not use superglue in a wound. The contact lens solution idea is good as this solution contains sodium chloride and other stuff. We use normal saline solution in a hospital to clean wounds so its close enough. The idea to to clean it thoroughly.

Good luck. You'll be able to "MacGyver" something if you scout around the area.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:05 am

If you are in warm water with high bacteria count you are risking infection. I know it's hard to resist going into the water, but if you get an infection the price you will pay for medical attention and loss of time on the ater will be higher in the long run.

When a wound heals the cells of the healing wound absorb and retain water so it is a perfect environment for infection. Depending on your resistance and type of bacteria your risk factors can vary. I learned the hard way after getting stung by a sting ray and getting a serious Strep A infection and have decided that it's better to wait a few weeks before exposing to warm sea water. I ended up paying several hundred dollars for antibiotis and several hundred for doctors visits and lost severl thousand in lost lesson fees as a result.

Hope you heal fast and stay healthy whatever your decision is.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:37 am

... super glue, make sure its reallly really clean first!

cheers,

Robbie :)

ps and don't do it drunk, fingers get stuck togeather too :roll:

Return to “Kitesurfing”