Local Beach: Kaliningrad KB
Favorite Beaches: Bulabog Beach, Boracay
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kitesurfing on Rhodes

Postby Annet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 am

Hi everybody!
At the end of May I'm gonna with my friends to Rhodes.
I found out that the best place for kitesurfing on Rhodes is Prasonisi. And everything is good, but my friends do not ride and we are looking for a place that'd suit both of us so there are kitesurfing and other entertainments. For example, place where you can ride about 5 hours a day, and the rest of the time to spend on the beach or walking around local streets, cafes and sightseeings.
Are there any such places on Rhodes?
I've read about Lalyssos. Is this place good for beginners in kitesurfing? Is there good wind at the end of May? How strong are waves?
Thanks for any help and recommendations!

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Re: kitesurfing on Rhodes

Postby WndRdr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 pm

I think the Prasonisi is the best place there but there is not much more to do than being on the water or having some food at the local restaurant. One option is to stay at Pefkos or Lindos and drive by car to Prasonisi everyday you want to go kiting. It is 30-45minute drive depending on which place you are staying. There are some more restaurants in Pefkos and in Lindos threre is more nightlife also.

If your mates want to have more bars, restaurants etc. then the option is to be in Rhodes town and go kiting at Kremasti/Ixia. You can stay about anywhere at Rhodes town and have a short drive to Kremasti which is near the airport. There are some hotels also near Kremasti or Ialyssos which are a bit out of the Rhodes town center. The wind in Kremasti is about side-shore from the left. There are no big waves just some chop when there is more than 20 knots of wind and no major current. There has been also a kite school and they had rescue service.

Ialyssos is more windsurfing beach a bit closer to Rhodes town than Kremasti is. They are on the same continuous beach.

To have good sightseeing it is better to rent a car and drive around the island. This way you could visit the Prasonisi at one day. It is something like 1 hour 45 min drive from Rhodes town.

In May the wind is not as reliable as it is after mid June. There can be windy days and then there can be something like four days without any wind. Also the water is a bit more chilly still in May and wetsuit can be recommended if you get cold easily.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:11 pm

I live and kite in Rhodes. I can only say that aaaaall of the above info is extremely accurate. Just to add that there will be a kite club / school operating in Kremasti this year and another 2-3 in Tholos (Theologos) and Fanes. These are further away from Rhodes. They are all good clubs with rescue and everything.
If it was me I would definetely choose staying in Lindos and kiting in Prasonissi. Both are memorable and uniquely fascinating experiences.

asklaidas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Prassonisi
Favorite Beaches: Prassonisi
Style: new School
Gear: Ozone C4, Underground

Postby asklaidas » Sat May 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi,

check wavehouse.eu its nice simple kite hotel :)

MickC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount

Postby MickC » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Apologies for bumping this old thread, does anyone know what the wind is like on Rhodes from mid September to mid October? looks kinda borderline, is it worth the risk?

Return to “Travel”