Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Solidkiteboarding spreaders and footpads/straps????

Forum for kitesurfers
chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby chirojoseph » Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:01 am

hello all, asking again here if anyone has a lead on the "solidkiteboarding" products...especially their spreader bars with integrated snap shackle and rotating hook. If any dealers read this please email me privately.

Thanx for any/all info.

ChiroJOE

Has thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:50 am

Hi,

you can contact SOLID directly.
I ordered mine there and it arrived a view days later. But of course I´m not sure whether they deliever abroad. The hook costs 79 Euros and it works pretty well.

Fabe

The Address is:

Solid GmbH
Falak 4
83673 Bichl
Germany

Tel: 0049-8857-6924-0
Fax: 0049-8857-6924-30
E-mail: info@solidkiteboards.com
http://www.solidkiteboards.com

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:40 pm

the solid spreader bar with the integrated snap shackle's a lil poor quality ...

my brother had one, but after the first release, the shackle broke.

i've seen two in a shop where the hooks were fit to the spreader bar in different angles (about 15° difference)

i don't know what to think of these products - i think the idea's great ...

another disadvantage is the turning hook - when the release thingie is turned away from you, it's very hard to release - i don't think it'll work in an emergency situation when twisted away from you.

hmmm ... i've seen the pro hook, too and i think it works - a very good system for pros (monkey tricks and all the stuff that requires unhooked riding) and beginners ...

Fabe
Medium Poster

Postby Fabe » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:41 pm

Hi again,

I fully agree to Murdoc. My comments where about the Pro-model. Mine works good now for about 40 hours on the water but only in the fixed position.
The Comp-model is crap. It breaks in testreleases, the Pro doesn´t.

Fabe

(now registered)

Fabe
Medium Poster

Postby Fabe » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:42 pm

Hi again,

I fully agree to Murdoc. My comments where about the Pro-model. Mine works good now for about 40 hours on the water but only in the fixed position.
The Comp-model is crap. It breaks in testreleases, the Pro doesn´t.

Fabe

(now registered)

Den
Rare Poster

Postby Den » Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:12 pm

You might consider the pro limit Quick release saftey bar. Simple design,mine seems solid and works under load. You can contact peter @ prolimit@gorge.net who helped me find a local distribuor. They run abot $39.95

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster

Postby chirojoseph » Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:15 pm

wow, great response guys...hey Murdoc, so you are saying that the PRO model with the hook that swings open seems to be good quality but the COMP is crap? I was hoping mostly for the hook to be "non-swinging or non-opening" but to have the snap shackle spinning with it. Well, all I really NEED is a nice hook that spins that has a SSring welded to the top of it..(thats the part i liked of the comp model) to hook my "kiteleash" to it. I fly the Takoon which has 2 integrated pull pin releases in the loops. But i dont use the wrist leash but instead a simple double SSring (3/4") setup on one of my front lines above teh adjuster strap. If I ditch the kite it flags and the bar slides way up...i cant recover at that point and relaunch but usually if i have to ditch the kite its because im landing or other emergency and i dont anticipate relaunch.

Well, sorry if its a long post but i figure that some of you also have a similar system. The problem arises when i do a spin and then "unspin" the bar, the "kiteleash" line stays twisted around the depower line and all i can do is a spin in other direction to clear it. If I could spin the hook/SSring connection to kite leash on the spreader it would "clear" the lines perfectly.

Anyway, consensus is that the "comp" integrated snap shackle is crap but the "Pro" with the opening hook is good quality??

thanx

Fabe
Medium Poster

Postby Fabe » Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:35 pm

Hi chirojoseph,

you should check out this page and the solution described there.

http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de/safety/wichard.html

The text is german but there are also lots of pictures. I think that is what you are looking for. Its a spinning shackle attached to a normal hook. It is is originally for sailing and it does not break.
Also your line-setup with the kiteleash on one of the frontlines is described there.

To translate you could try to use the babelfish on altavista.com. The translations are of bad quality but perhaps you understand a little bit then.

Fabe

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster

Postby chirojoseph » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:44 am

wow Fabe, where did you ever find those great pics!!?? I really think you should post that SAME link on the Yahoo kite groups site cause alot of people would benefit from it!! Thats exactly what i want to do. Thing is, I already USE a snap shackle..a good one..but its NOT a Witchard so i dont have that extra little hole to connect my leash line to. I cant see in any of the pictures HOW he got that little stainless ring through that little hole on the Witchard...what kind of ring is that? does it seperate somehow?

anyway, it gave me another idea of how to connect to my existing shackle..maybe. thanx again, good detective work to find that link!

CHirojoseph

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:12 am

Hi Joseph and Murdoc,

as Solid is located close to my homespot I for sure know their products and boss Mike Ritter as well.

The last Solid spreader bars I´ve seen three weeks ago were much more heavy duty in terms of quick release sizing. They´ve upgraded now dramatically due to customer complains. My 70mm Wichard shackle looks quite fragile in comparison to their recent release. As you´re saying, Murdoc, their idea is/was brilliant and not easy to replace, so from what I´ve seen so far they should now fully meet the customers quality approach as well !
Still waiting for the results from the Romo Safety meeting, where sth. "special" was unveiled but Toby forced to confidentiality ..

aloha

HT

Return to “Kitesurfing”