Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need help please, which raceboard to buy?

Forum for kitesurfers
plasma180
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Hydrofoil / Twintip / Wave / Wing
Gear: too much stuff
Brand Affiliation: Duotone / Flysurfer / Ozone

Need help please, which raceboard to buy?

Postby plasma180 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:40 am

Hello,

i will start to ride a raceboard and now the big question which board is the best allround one, competitive and easy to ride?

Available for me are the follow boards:

RRD K Race 70
NORTH LTD 69 from 2011 or 2012
Cabrinha Race 188 x 69,5 is this Board the same like Aguera CR69 LE / 2012?

Thank you

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Need help please, which raceboard to buy?

Postby davesails7 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:52 pm

I've had a few emails with Alex Aguera about upgrading from my 2011 Cabrinha Race 183x59 to a CR69. This is what I've come to find out, anyone let me know if I'm wrong:

The 2012 Cabrinha Board isn't the same as the current 2012 Aguera CR69 LE. The LE is the top of the line model. Lighter, and more expensive.

I think the 2012 Cabrinha board is pretty close to the regular Aguera CR69 though. Both of these boards came out around Fall 2011. The Cabrinha board has the option of 3 or 4 fin setup (5 fin boxes), but the Aguera board is tri fin only.

The Aguera CR69 is sold for $1250 including fins, straps and shipping to the mainland US. The 2012 Cabrinha board (Which I'm pretty sure is essentially the same) I haven't been able to find for anywhere near that price. I've found board only for around $1200.

My only concern is that a new model will come out in the fall for the same price and I'll be kicking myself for paying full price for a year-old board. $1250 complete does seem like a good deal compared to everything else though.

The new 2012 North boards seem to be more like the Aguera CR69 LE in price, in the $1600 range for board only. As seen in other posts, it doesn't look like the 2012 North boards have the kinks worked out yet.

I haven't ridden any of the boards, and don't have a chance to try before I buy on the Mid-Atlantic Coast US.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Billy B. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 am

plasma180 wrote:Hello,

i will start to ride a raceboard and now the big question which board is the best allround one, competitive and easy to ride?

Available for me are the follow boards:

RRD K Race 70
NORTH LTD 69 from 2011 or 2012
Cabrinha Race 188 x 69,5 is this Board the same like Aguera CR69 LE / 2012?

Thank you
I have b]en riding the 2012 north 69 for a couple of months...I have not had any issues

It has been a treat to ride and the new tail really keeps the nose down, I am running the 43. Cm fins in front and the 40cm in the rear. This board rips and with the right depower setup is a treat to ride.

WjM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefelds Barcelona, Spain.
Malgrat de Mar, Barcelona, Spain.
Favorite Beaches: Delta del Ebro, Trabucador, Spain.
Leucate, La Franqui, France.
Dumps, Brandon Bay, Kerry, Ireland.
Style: Race board / Wave board
Gear: 2013,17,13,11,9,7m edge
2011 8m & 5m C4
Mikes lab race board, hydrofoil & 2010 kipuna
10´6 SUP (loving it on no wind days)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WjM » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Billi B, I have tried several 2012 boards and all have had issues, the manufacturers are still developing the boards regardless of what they say about having tested them fully. I believe that very few of the 2012 boards will make it to 2013 if they have continued use. From North, Royal, Woody cookie, all have issues. The only board I have seen with no issues so far is the RRD. I am sure that there are riders out there that have had problems but as I said It is the only board that I have not heard complaints about. Mikes lab is another serious option. There is a lot to be said for the resale price of a board and this guy has a preety bullet proof product. All of the reviews have been positive. I have gone down the road of making my own race board. I cannot justify the prices that they are charging for fragile production boards that have a proven short life span. I think you should pick up a slightly less expensive 2011 model, they do not have the volume or performance of the 2012 models but at least you will get value for money. Weigh the board before you buy it and compare the weight to the original weight. This will give you a good idea of leakage or repairs etc....

Good winds....

WjM.

Return to “Kitesurfing”