Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why there is no front zipper in wetsuits?

Forum for kitesurfers
exkites
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: All if there is wind...
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Slingshot Fuel
board: Balance - Alvaro
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why there is no front zipper in wetsuits?

Postby exkites » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 am

I really don't like to pee in to my wetsuit but undress all time is so annoying, and I'm sure that many of you agree that front zipper would be very useful feature! So why non of the brands produce that? :)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Why there is no front zipper in wetsuits?

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 am

Because not everyone looks like Claudine Auger?

Attachments
Claudine Auger as Domino.jpg

kite_crazy66
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Since I started kiting I have been travelling... so you could say my local beaches are: Big Bay (Cape Town), Woody's (Perth), Lancelin, Geraldton (WA), Crissy, 3rd Ave, Sherman Island, Da'hab (Egypt)
Style: freestyle and old school

Postby kite_crazy66 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:09 am

The first video was quite disturbing... thanks for making it up with the photo of Ms. Auger.

And to answer exkites question. I think they don't have front zippers bc wetsuits are primarily designed for surfers (regular wave surfers). Lying on the board with a pastic zipper pressed up against your body is not the most enjoyable of things.

exkites
Medium Poster

Postby exkites » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:49 am

I'm not talking about full front zipper, it could be just a small exit in the down part.. :)
kite_crazy66 wrote:The first video was quite disturbing... thanks for making it up with the photo of Ms. Auger.

And to answer exkites question. I think they don't have front zippers bc wetsuits are primarily designed for surfers (regular wave surfers). Lying on the board with a pastic zipper pressed up against your body is not the most enjoyable of things.

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2372322

Started this thread a while back... enjoy the ideas. I am currently getting a custom wetsuit made by a local producer, and i am planning on getting him to put in a sort-of zipper in it. Not actually a zipper, more of a velcro construction... We'll see how it goes! If it works, i will be a happy man being able to go about my business without taking all equipment off. Working as instructor, all day at the beach and on top of full wetsuit we have wind-jackets which makes peeing even more irritating.

Let's see!

exkites
Medium Poster

Postby exkites » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks man..
AndKite wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2372322

Started this thread a while back... enjoy the ideas. I am currently getting a custom wetsuit made by a local producer, and i am planning on getting him to put in a sort-of zipper in it. Not actually a zipper, more of a velcro construction... We'll see how it goes! If it works, i will be a happy man being able to go about my business without taking all equipment off. Working as instructor, all day at the beach and on top of full wetsuit we have wind-jackets which makes peeing even more irritating.

Let's see!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Noticed recently one of the guys had a wetsuit with a crotch-access panel ... can't remember the brand though.

prelives
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ventura,CA
Favorite Beaches: El Yaque, Venezuela
La Ventana
Emma Wood
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 12m, 9m, 7m - 2017
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2015
Cabrinha Tronic TT, BRM Paipo, Tomo Evo

Postby prelives » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm

The large majority of wetsuits are designed for surfing during which you lie on your stomach while paddling - very uncomfortable to lie on a zipper.

If you lived in a cold water location, you'd be quick to pee in your wetsuit! In winter, I hold it until I'm out in the water!

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:40 pm

It's funny how so many people are deathly afraid of urine. If you pee in your wetsuit, the water flushes it out pretty quickly. It's really no big deal at all. Plus, I'd like to know how you are going to unzip or open a flap and take a leak while you are kiteboarding. Imagine the accidents that could happen if you lose control of your kite while trying to pee... I think the only time such a feature would be nice to have is when you are hanging out on shore waiting for the wind to pick up.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Thor SFBay wrote:It's funny how so many people are deathly afraid of urine. If you pee in your wetsuit, the water flushes it out pretty quickly. It's really no big deal at all. Plus, I'd like to know how you are going to unzip or open a flap and take a leak while you are kiteboarding. Imagine the accidents that could happen if you lose control of your kite while trying to pee... I think the only time such a feature would be nice to have is when you are hanging out on shore waiting for the wind to pick up.
Nope - it actually stays for a long time (the urine), and apart from smelling like :x it damages the neoprene, that is known.

But of course - we all have done that in the wintertime when no other alternatives I think....

Only if you have "summer" suits very thin and loose and not warm (nor good) - it will flush faster, true.
But this only happens if you have a cheapskate suit, and not a good one - as the good ones even if only 2-3mm, will not let water flush through really - only a slow "filling" with water, so they are incredibly warm :thumb:

And the OP dont mean to open for a pee while you are out - but when you have a wetsuit on for a long time (and in colder areas you can NOT just take it off and on) while teaching f.ex thus walking around all day maybe - you need to take a pee now and then of course (and if not, you dont drink sufficiently, and might get dehydrated).

So the question is understandable for some :wink:

Although, I think most NOT teaching, has learned how to handle it - but when out for 6-8hours or longer you might get a problem, especially if cold (40-50F)

The reason why they DONT have pee zips, I think, is because most dont really need it (only out for 2-3 hours maybe, or can just pull the suit down if warm), and it would increase the price somewhat :-?

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”