Local Beach: Gotland, Sweden
Style: Jump as high as I can
Gear: F one Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LF Envy 2011 7 M problem

Postby johnny_dove » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Bought a second hand 7M for stormy days. The kite is a 2011 and looks like it has never been used. The bar has got more wear. Looks to be the correct size and year. But the depower line was worn a lot.

Problem: The kite hardly turned. Will not pivot and will not dive when you try to steer it. Sort of angles down 45 degrees when you try to turn it and has a very wide arc for turning. Had to put my hands as wide as possible in order to just fly the kite. When I flew the kite hard it would sometimes crash into the water because it was to slow to turn back up again. On a 7M! Not a 17M...When you held it low it would even fall down by it self.

Tried shortening the back lines that looked a bit slack by setting them to light wind setting. That helped a little but not much. So I landed again and set the back lines on the highest and shortest knot. Gave me more power but the kite still had a lot of delay and made me ride extremely much up wind and the kite was flapping and the power was very off and on. Can't shorten the back lines any more on the normal setting. Could it be the center system that needs lengthening? Never owned a LF kite before. The kite flew so badly that I am worried I can not tweak it to fly well. LF Envy supposed to be a very pivotal turner, is it not? A 7m should not be slow...

How long should the lines be? Perhaps the guy I bought kite from have changed some lines and put some old stuff on my bar? What is the idea with the "power adjustment pulley" and the "on the fly stopper piece"? Is there some default setting for those? Depower rope seems really worn and was really hard to shorten when I felt overpowered. Seems like a common liquid force problem? All bars I have seen have really worn depower ropes that are hard to adjust.

Have and f one bandit bar and an Ozone bar but they are a bit long for a 7M. Meant for bigger kites. Not sure which system has the same length lines as LF. In worst case I will try those as well, if no luck I gather I will have to sell the kite...

eightsmileys
Frequent Poster
Style: Strapless waveriding
Gear: Liquid Force

Re: LF ENVY 2011 7 M problem

Postby eightsmileys » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi there Johnny,

The Envy is a really nice and smooth turning kite.

It seems that there is something wrong with the setup!

The lines should be 22 meter.
Change the depower line, since it is worn = the kite has seen too much use or the bar was used on other kites (usually a owner of 2-3 kites uses 1 bar on all the kites!) probably there might be a chance that the lines are overstretched from excessive use. Attach all four lines on a fixed point and have the bar at full power mode. Check if all lines are tensioned and notice if the bar is straight...if not pull the bar on the opposite side to make everything even

Ask someone if you don't know how to set the kite right.

The back lines on the kite have 2 settings on the kite...fast 2 - slow 1!

Let me know the results,
Filios.
Attachments
liquid-force-envy-4436.jpg
1 point is fast turning
2 point is slower turning
Last edited by eightsmileys on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 pm

eightsmileys wrote:Hi there Johnny,

Chance the depower line, since it is worn = the kite has seen too much use or the bar was used on other kites (usually a owner of 2-3 kites uses 1 bar on all the kites!) probably there might be a chance that the lines are overstretched from excessive use. Attach all four lines on a fixed point and have the bar at full power mode. Check if all lines are tensioned and notice if the bar is straight...if not pull the bar on the opposite side to make everything even

Let me know the results,
Filios.

Thanks! Found some good reviews and tried some other LFs in the past. The kite looks exactly the same as the one on your picture. Same colours etc. Think I hade had the kite on the outer setting :1. But it is a 7M should not make such a huge difference. Was definitely something wrong with the kite today. Hope I get enough wind to try it to morrow and some friends with enough patience to land and launch me while tweaking the kite ;) Everyone wants to surf when there is enough wind for a 7M...

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 pm

johnny_dove wrote:
eightsmileys wrote:Hi there Johnny,

Chance the depower line, since it is worn = the kite has seen too much use or the bar was used on other kites (usually a owner of 2-3 kites uses 1 bar on all the kites!) probably there might be a chance that the lines are overstretched from excessive use. Attach all four lines on a fixed point and have the bar at full power mode. Check if all lines are tensioned and notice if the bar is straight...if not pull the bar on the opposite side to make everything even

Let me know the results,
Filios.

Thanks! Found some good reviews and tried some other LFs in the past. The kite looks exactly the same as the one on your picture. Same colours etc. Think I hade had the kite on the outer setting :1. But it is a 7M should not make such a huge difference. Was definitely something wrong with the kite today. Hope I get enough wind to try it to morrow and some friends with enough patience to land and launch me while tweaking the kite ;) Everyone wants to surf when there is enough wind for a 7M...
¨

Btw - what is the idea with the "power adjuster". Should have a potential to make the front lines too long or short. Not sure how to default it.

Setting 1 on the tip should be fast, right?

sisky
Medium Poster

Re: LF Envy 2011 7 M problem

Postby sisky » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:39 am

Johnny dove..I just sent you a PM..hit me up on that and i will help you get your kite sorted out!

thanks,
Gary

eightsmileys
Frequent Poster

Postby eightsmileys » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 am

Johhny setting 1 is the default setting which is fast...to be honest i have never tried the 2!

Keep me posted!

Filios.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:19 am

there's definitely something wrong with it, i had to slow my 9 down because it turned too fast for unhooking. 7m should be even faster

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:23 am

sisky wrote:Johnny dove..I just sent you a PM..hit me up on that and i will help you get your kite sorted out!

thanks,
Gary

Thanks for helping out Gary, have replied to you with a PM.

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Liquid Force Envy 2011 Pictures

Postby johnny_dove » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:07 am

Update:

Gary - sent you more pictures on PM. Will try shooting you an email as well. Think there might be wind this week end:-) Want to try to get this kite rocking ;)

eightsmileys

1. On first / lowest knot = back lines slightly longer. As on the picture.

2. On second / middle knot = fairly equal from what I can see

3. On third / top knot = front lines slightly longer

Not an exact science though. Would have to put 4 nails or something in a solid object to tie the knots at the exact same length. Last night I put a brick over them and tried to space them apart at the correct distance. All in all the bar seems fairly normal, perhaps the bridles? Is the second knot on the back lines above the bar the default setting?

Thanks again for all help, both of you!
Attachments
20120627_203128.jpg
Bridles. I can not find any hires pictures of the USB 3.1 system to check if correct.
20120627_203259.jpg
The kite is almost unused. I have tried an Envy 2010, 8M. Totally different. Very nice, that's why I bought this kite.
20120627_210102.jpg
Short bar should be suitable for a 7M. I think it is the original. Have compared on youtube and it seems to be the Liquid Force CPR 2011.

eightsmileys
Frequent Poster

Postby eightsmileys » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Johhny,

Good to see some pictures.

Find a fix point...add one nail, screw etc...place all the lines together or 4 nails as you said but that is a extra hassle with not much difference (minor)

As you hold the bar the furthest knot on the steering lines is the default.

On the kite you have markings standard-lightwind! The knot that is further in is for lightwind (basically it shortens the backlines thus the kite gets a different angle = the angle of the kite changes = more wind)! I do not use the lightwind setting in any kite as when you get in low winds when working the kite up and down (8 figures) sometimes you get to back stall the kite when you dive it low. That is my preference! Some kiters here fly their kites on the light wind setting for that extra grunt and for the kites to be faster...i prefer to have the kite as slow as possible since with strapless riding on the waves i prefer to have the kite steady (ps. when i was in Mauritius some years ago this crazy waverider would say "Keep the kite as low as possible so that you get a better edge and not having a lifting effect but not too low when the waves are big cause you get no wind")

Back to our subject...it seems that your back lines are overstretched!
Add the front lines on a fixed point and pull them a bit to become equal with the steering lines or just use the middle knot on the bar its the best-quickest solution! After you have everything on a fixed point then you will know what to do.

The kite seems to be ok from the pictures.
The bar is 2011 you are correct.

The Envy is the best kite that i have flown and have owned all the models as of today and you made a good choice.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Filios.

Return to “Kitesurfing”