Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dynabar V7 XT, new challenge

Forum for kitesurfers
Youtch
Frequent Poster

Re: Dynabar V7 XT, new challenge

Postby Youtch » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:15 am

May I suggest to add for safety reason a knife to cut lines, underneath the spreader pad, like on Dakine Fusion Harness?

This is what would currently stop me from buying a dynabar.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Youtch wrote:May I suggest to add for safety reason a knife to cut lines,
The knife you (("Should")) be using will cost about $50+ ; and it will
be made of aluminum and have replaceable blades that should
be replaced every year weather it's used or not.

Now -- a protected pocket for that knife would be Nice , on the new V7 !!!

Bille

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:05 pm

mocolombo wrote:It looks very nice, but i have 2 doubts:

1- Does it help to prevent lower back pain?

2- How does it affect the performance of jumps with rotations? It seems to be strange...

Regards
For full disclosure, I've never used a dynabar, I use a rope tied across my harness bar that a attach to my chicken loop with a carabiner. It is like a poor-man's dynabar. It isn't nearly as elegant a solution as the dynabar, but it works and I think I can answer your questions. I'm not trying to hijack a dynabar thread to provide a DIY alternative. Dynabar looks like a really good product and once I have any money to invest into more kiting equipment, I will probably buy one.

1.) Back pain (for me) is caused by the harness, not the spreader bar. If you are having lower back pain, get a seat harness. Seat harnesses suck because of the poor mobility and because they won't twist around your body at all, making toe-side riding (or any contorted riding) difficult and uncomfortable. Dynabar (or my cheap-ass rope setup) will allow you to ride with much greater mobility and comfort in a seat harness, and the seat harness (which would suck without the dynabar but is comfortable and mobile with it) will help to prevent back pain. Basically, it allows you to use a seat harness without having to accept the suckiness that normally comes with seat harnesses.

2.) I haven't noticed any effect on my ability to rotate during jumps; left to its own devices, it seems to settle at the center, right where it would be normally, but it is easy to get over to the sides if you want it to. If you are really into rotations and lots of them, I don't know, maybe it wouldn't be so great, but it hasn't affected my riding negatively at all. Toe-side riding is way more comfortable (and jumping from the toe-side edge is vastly easier) and heel-side riding can be pretty nice too-normally the harness will settle into the center, just where it would be with a normal spreader bar, but if you want to really edge, it will swing over to your back foot side, allowing even greater upwind edging.

If you only ever ride heel-side and you aren't at all into carving/waves, the dynabar (or rope set-up) probably won't do much for you. If you ever ride toe-side, it can really change the way you ride.

I really like my poor-man's dynabar, and once I have any money to put into kiting gear, I'll probably get a real one. My rope works pretty well, and it is fine for the short term; if you don't know whether or not you'd like a dynabar or can't afford one, just tie a rope to each side of your spreader bar and use a carabiner to attach the chicken loop, but before you do this consider these two potential problems (inherent to my rope, but not to the official dynabar): This cheap-ass setup screws up the throw-length of the bar and puts it a bit out of reach (dynabar does not appear to have this problem, which is why I'll probably get a real dynabar instead of continuing with my rope setup). Also- check your quick release. My quick release occurs above the chicken loop, so if it carabinered in, it works just as well as if it is on a harness hook. If your quick release is different, and could get caught on a carabiner, my rope set-up could kill you. Again, the official version (which I've never tried, but have looked at a lot of pictures) would not have this problem because it just uses a regular harness hook.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:14 am

What about harness compatibility? I'm interested in trying this but don't think it will work with my harness ... an older North Styler.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windsuks » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 am

Been having some sweet sessions whilst in Portugal and the pic below shows the Dynabar in use and how much easier it is to ride toe side!

www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY
Has thanked: 0

Postby jaystore » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Tony wrote:What about harness compatibility? I'm interested in trying this but don't think it will work with my harness ... an older North Styler.
If you harness has 40mm or 25mm webbings you can insert them into DYNABAR ends or buy our belt hook adapters.
Another option coming soon...
Attachments
IMG_6292.JPG
IMG_6290.JPG

sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive
Been thanked: 0

Postby sfpete » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:42 pm

tmcfarla wrote:This cheap-ass setup screws up the throw-length of the bar and puts it a bit out of reach
Using a bit of ultra-low-stretch dyneema and tying it very tight ought to fix that problem because a carabiner is probably about same length as the hook.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 am

Mr. Branson challenge... riding DYNABAR V6!
Attachments
branson.jpg
branson.jpg (141.72 KiB) Viewed 2116 times

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Had my V5 for a couple of years and ridden it hard. Had a good session yesterday and was preparing for tomorrows session and was checking my rope for wear. I stuffed some spare line under the white netting on the pad and noticed the top bar on the actual spreader had split in two, so was only held together on the bottom bar piece. This also explains why it felt funny yesterday, but couldn't understand why.

So back to my old hookless spreader bar, line and carabiner tomorrow, until I get a new dynabar.

Not a moan as its a great piece of kit and will get a replacement, just a warning to others to check theirs, as you can't see through the netting unless you look under it.

Mike

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:35 am

I was getting sore ribs and switched to the V7 and it took care of the problem.

Return to “Kitesurfing”