jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Foil relaunch. I feel so sorry for PMU

Postby jumarcil » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:42 am

I 've been riding Flysurfers for 3 or 4 years now and honestly it happened only once or twice when I couldn't relaunch. I wish I could say the same for my LEI's.

I also tried all kind of stuff to see what performs best in LW and so far my Speed 3 19 or 21 are still the best weapon.

hamlindp1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: administrator: I can't login and this computer can't see the code to unblock it.
Been thanked: 0

Postby hamlindp1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm

At first I was kind of freaked out to crash my 19M S3 D in 7 mph wind, leading edge down, but when it happened, I could have stood up in the shallow water, but I decided to try a relaunch while floating.

What an ever-lovin' trip! I was actually able to reverse launch in light wind!!!!!

Now I'm not so nervous out there!!!

David :)

That kite is such a trip. Sooooooooooooooo fun!!

Got her used for 1250usd!!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:19 pm

alexrider wrote: I want to see PMU :dumbo: do that with an inflato:

I put footstraps on my pump so I could do a swim out launch with my inflato (trees go down to water's edge and it's too deep to stand) -- remember to keep the inflate hole above water btw you can add a hose to the inflate hole to make it easier. There's only one problem with flysurfers, that is they are too expensive, gimme one tks.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:09 pm

edt wrote:....
I put footstraps on my pump....
Pumps are excellent for one thing: they make tough travel containers for foils once the piston is removed. :jump: :jump: :jump:

hamlindp1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: administrator: I can't login and this computer can't see the code to unblock it.

Postby hamlindp1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:19 pm

alexrider wrote:
edt wrote:....
I put footstraps on my pump....
Pumps are excellent for one thing: they make tough travel containers for foils once the piston is removed. :jump: :jump: :jump:
LOL :wink:

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't think that I have ever seen a ram air do something that I am enviable of. Ok, sure, maybe they get out in slightly lighter wind, but frankly 10 knot wind isn't much fun to begin with. I'd much rather go golfing than putter around at 10 knots. But that's just me.

Also, I've never seen a ram air kiter with a wife or girlfriend that I am enviable of. Odds are if you are on a RAM air you are a slightly overweight, middleaged, german guy with a helmet, board leash, pasty complexion and a similar looking wife.

ZigZag
Medium Poster

Postby ZigZag » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:41 pm

So what do you look like, ChickenTikka? Care to post a picture? And while you're at it, why not post a picture of your wife as well?

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:42 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:I don't think that I have ever seen a ram air do something that I am enviable of. Ok, sure, maybe they get out in slightly lighter wind, but frankly 10 knot wind isn't much fun to begin with. I'd much rather go golfing than putter around at 10 knots. But that's just me.
Yes, that's just you. We don't blame you for not being very adventurous and not exploring all the possible variations of kitesurfing. Go golfing instead!
You wouldn't consider practicing this, for example (watch 2:20...)

Or this

Or go hang-gliding? No; golf is your game, it is your choice and it defines you.
Also, I've never seen a ram air kiter with a wife or girlfriend that I am enviable of. Odds are if you are on a RAM air you are a slightly overweight, middleaged, german guy with a helmet, board leash, pasty complexion and a similar looking wife.
Hahahaha! You are quite prejudiced, aren't you?. :naughty:
FS kites are for the open minded rider. The only serious reason FS is not popular with the younger generation is the price factor.
Last edited by alexrider on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:02 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:I don't think that I have ever seen a ram air do something that I am enviable of.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Listen at one time i had a SP2 19 and my sexy wife a SP2 15 (i am 75kg...she's 50kg)
She was out with me but was not so crazy about LW ....and her foil...just went out to be with me
:heartface: :kiss: :heartface: :kiss:

Then i got a SP3 21 and kited without my sidekick :( ......because she totally lost interest in LW

Anyway to make a story short...she now is out in LW and likes it since on strap surfboard Whip
No more TT....loves 9knots....and ride waves with hubby

Our situation is very enviable :remybussi:

She has her 17M and i have my 19M ..............Core Riots XR2 LW

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:18 am

pmaggie wrote:I rode foils only a few times, so these are really my two cents. The problem I experieced with foils in very light wind when they suddenly fall. In my home spot, in very light wind days, sometimes the wind really goes to zero for 1 minute or so. When this happen, both foils and inflatables suddenly fall. In this cases, my inflatable ... falls directly into the water with no line tangling and I just have to wait for a gust to relaunch (when possible, that means about 7 knots for my Core 17). When a foil falls with no wind, being very light, it's common that its lines roll over it and became completely tangled. At that point, it's not that easy to relaunch.
The other big problem with foils in very light wind is when the wind completely stops. With an inflatable, you just get your kite and swim attached to your little floating boat. With a foil, you have 20 sqm of tissue to carry home with you!
Excellent points pmaggie!!
Thankyou for reinforcing two of the most common problems with ram airs. I'll be sure to incorporate your experiences into the standard dissertation on the "inferiority of ram airs".

Cheers,
Chumpy

Return to “Kitesurfing”