Forum for kitesurfers
arth
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Foil relaunch. I feel so sorry for PMU

Postby arth » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:47 am

I rode foils only a few times, so these are really my two cents. The problem I experieced with foils in very light wind when they suddenly fall. In my home spot, in very light wind days, sometimes the wind really goes to zero for 1 minute or so. When this happen, both foils and inflatables suddenly fall. In this cases, my inflatable ... falls directly into the water with no line tangling and I just have to wait for a gust to relaunch (when possible, that means about 7 knots for my Core 17). When a foil falls with no wind, being very light, it's common that its lines roll over it and became completely tangled. At that point, it's not that easy to relaunch.
The other big problem with foils in very light wind is when the wind completely stops. With an inflatable, you just get your kite and swim attached to your little floating boat. With a foil, you have 20 sqm of tissue to carry home with you!
But, Pmaggie,.... Which foil?
You tell us which inflatable you use, but not which foil you have used...;-)

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 am

ChickenTikka wrote:I don't think that I have ever seen a ram air do something that I am enviable of. Ok, sure, maybe they get out in slightly lighter wind, but frankly 10 knot wind isn't much fun to begin with. I'd much rather go golfing than putter around at 10 knots. But that's just me.

Also, I've never seen a ram air kiter with a wife or girlfriend that I am enviable of. Odds are if you are on a RAM air you are a slightly overweight, middleaged, german guy with a helmet, board leash, pasty complexion and a similar looking wife.
I proudly own and use a FS15 S3. I and my wife look better than that. So, you are wrong.

Relaunching in very light wind with foils is a piece of cake. With LEIs it's a dream.
(meaning it doesn't really happen, you only dream it could happen while swimming but it doesn't)
(gusts excluded, talking about steadily very light wind, below 9 knots)

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:28 pm

FS Speed 3 21!

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Postby Noo Noo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Ned Divine wrote:
ChickenTikka wrote: Relaunching in very light wind with foils is a piece of cake. With LEIs it's a dream.
(meaning it doesn't really happen, you only dream it could happen while swimming but it doesn't)
I don't think I'd get out of bed for 9 knots. I certainly know my mate who likes his Peter Lynns wouldn't stir in the slightest in those conditions. He'd prefer to keep on snoring I reckon.

Sorry, yes I would ge out of bed. To go and do something else!

Lets all be clear here. kiting below 15mph (13-14kn) whether you're on a foil or a pumper is just not very good. Perhaps you can mow the lawn with your foil in 9kn but that doesn't really rock my boat to be honest. After that it's whatever rocks your boat as far a I'm concerned.
Last edited by Noo Noo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Pump me up wrote:Some rams can reverse launch, but so what... a lot of inflatables can reverse launch. Rams can launch directly downwind in the water, but so what... so can a lot of inflatables. For intermediates and above, relaunching should not even be considered in the equation because a) they won't be dropping the kite much anyway and b) Relaunching inflatables is EASY. Commonly, ram airs will not relaunch properly because of twisting, bridle tangles, or waterlogging. These aren't such big problems with inflatables.
Interesting, never noticed this bit before.

I consider myself a low intermediate rider.
... why are the LEI-dedicated riders at my local spot who've been riding for years more than me unable to relaunch their kites a great deal of the time? There's usually a least one guy doing the swim/float in to shore ...
Am I actually a shit-hot kite flier? Or is it the gear ...?

TE down seems to be the culprit a lot of the time for the LEIs - little teenie-weenie waves wash onto the canopy and hold the kite down ... foils just float over them. As seen in the video you posted :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Noo Noo wrote:
Ned Divine wrote:
ChickenTikka wrote: Relaunching in very light wind with foils is a piece of cake. With LEIs it's a dream.
I don't think I'd get out of bed for 9 knots. I cerainly know my mate who likes his Peter Lynns wouldn't stir in the slightest in those conditions. He'd prefer to keep on snoring.

Sorry, yes I would. To go and do something else.

Lets all be clear here. kiting below 15mph (13-14kn) whether you're on a foil or a pumper is just not very good. Perhaps you can mow the lawn with your foil in 9kn but that doesn't really rock my boat to be honest.
If the weather site isn't pulling my chain, then we had absolutely no more than 14 knots today from 4 to 6pm ... and it was ROCKING on the Speed3 21 - big jumps & long hang-time!

Mowing the lawn in 14 knots? I could see a guy the next town over was mowing his lawn ... he missed a few spots too.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:36 pm

I don't understand any kind of hate in kiting period. This is the world's greatest sport and whatever you like, well..........good for you. Why waste so much effort in slamming somone else's enjoyment?

Anyway, I was reluctant to try the foils for quite awhile. My kiting buddy has been after me to get one for over a year. I was hesitant mostly because I didn't have $3k to drop on one kite. This spring I've taken his FS Speed 21 for a few rides. I really do like it! That kite can fly in a fart of wind and WITH power. It's pretty amazing. I'm not sure I'd like to fully switch to foil when the wind kicks up, but for light wind I don't think they can be beat. So now it's just a matter of saving some coin to pop for one of my own.

Does anyone need a kidney?
Good condition, one owner, never raced!
:lol:

P.S. I think PMU is actually the evil genius Ted Bautista! What better way to promote your killer product than with an evil alter ego?! :cool2:
P.P.S. Ted PM me if you can score me a Speed 3 21 Limited Deluxe Black/Green PLEASE!!!!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:41 am

Poacher's onto it - right tool for the job :thumb:

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:30 am

Kamikuza wrote: I consider myself a low intermediate rider.
Actually, we consider you a low-beginner rider, based on your effusive posts about nailing your first (hooked-in) back roll and numerous self-rescues.

Not to mention the fact that you spend 23h of every day and every Saturday night, browsing kitesurfing forums, indicating a whole suite of weird ram-loving behavioural traits, best left for analysis on another day.

All of which makes your forceful statements - as if you are some sort of expert - about various aspects of kitesurfing - even more ridiculous.
Last edited by Pump me up on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

H53Driver
Medium Poster

Postby H53Driver » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:41 am

+2 for Poacher (probably one of the smartest independent posters on this forum).

But I do wish Flysurfer could generate some stoke by releasing some new products instead of baiting PMU :jump:
These users thanked the author H53Driver for the post:
POACHER (Fri May 10, 2019 9:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”